Author Topic: Hanna-Barbera Appreciation Society  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Hanna-Barbera Appreciation Society
« on: November 19, 2003, 11:23 PM »
I never really cared for the Looney Tunes bunch...oh sure I laughed when Daffy got his beak shot off continually or when Wily fell off the cliff.  But it wasn't really my cup of tea

My cup of tea though was the Hanna-Barbera crew

The Flintstones
The Jetsons
Scooby Doo
SuperFriends
Yogi Bear

Make up a pretty impressive 5 of all time great cartoons...

Their reach is amazing and it time we all recognize what William Hanna and Joseph Barbera mean to all of us

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Hanna-Barbera Appreciation Society
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 11:27 PM »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 12:44 AM »
i was (and still am) a huge fan of those cartoons, with no "real" preferences. it's just a shame that they are not on tv on a regular basis anymore, because the youth of today would rather watch pokemon. don't get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of anime, but i prefer real anime. but getting back to my point, when i was a kid i would spend hours in front of the tv, watching whatever cartoon came on next... bugs bunny, magilla gorilla, the jetsons, heckle & jeckle, hong kong phooey, the "original" space ghost (although coast to coast is great as well), tom & jerry, the flintstones, captain caveman, thundaar the barbarian, popeye, grape ape, johnny quest... i could go on and on. it's a shame that they don't make cartoons like they used to....

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 02:58 AM »
Big-time Scooby Doo fan here!  Loved that show!  I'll still watch it whenever I come across it.  The Headless Horseman episode always scared the livin' sheeat outta me!  Unfortunately, the show went way downhill when that damned Scrappy got involved.  Annoying little turd he was...   :-\

I definitely watched a good abount of Super Friends as a wee lad too.  Some Tom and Jerry and Flinstones a little here and there, but not too much.  I wasn't really too big a cartoon fan as a kid...

But yeah, Hanna Barbera kicks Looney Toons' ass!   8)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 08:43 AM »
Don't be hating the Looney Toons fellas :P

Actually I'm a fan of both more or less equally.  Both have their charms.  But since this is a HB appreciation thread, I'll appreciate the right party.

Laff-a-Lympics was great.  The Scooby Doobies, Really Rottens and Yogi Yahooies.  Classic.

I love the more action oriented toons like Thundarr the Barbarian, Blue Falcon and Dyno-Mutt and the Herculoids.  Saturday mornings are not the same without these.

My favorite character would probably be none other than Captain Caaaavvvvveeeemaaaaan!  That furry little dude was the man!

Looking back now as an adult, me thinks H&B were toking a little wacky tabacky while making these cartoons.  There are just a little too many drug references to consider them a coincidence ;)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 09:30 AM »
I'm a Flintstones fan. Nothing like watching a cartoon version of The Honeymooners!  ;)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 10:38 AM »
Heres one of my favorite HB shows, too bad I havent seen an episode in over 20 years.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 11:17 AM »
I'll agree, I'm fans of both Looney Tunes and HB.....and I think both are great.  I always have been a big Scooby Doo fan, and still watch the cartoons when they are on from time to time.  I think that its pretty cool that the show is still popular enough to have a new version on television, and toys in the stores, etc.  I'd have to say Scooby is my favorite of the bunch, but I did really enjoy me some Yogi, Captain Caveman, Dyno-Mutt, Huckleberry Hound, Jetsons, Flinstones, etc.  I always remember there being like a "HB" hour or two on weekend mornings...good times.  I've said it before, but I really think for the most part today's cartoons really pale to what many of us had growing up.  I sometimes feel a little embarassed by it, but I still enjoy me a good cartoon today (but I guess I already collect toys, so what's the difference?)  :P