Author Topic: Car Insurance!!!  (Read 2018 times)

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
Car Insurance!!!
« on: November 20, 2003, 11:21 PM »
Sorry, I just have to get this off my chest!!

I hate insurance companies!!!!!!  This year so far my car insurance company took three months of payments within 3 weeks of each other, and last month took two payments again!!

Ever try to speak to someone about getting your maney back (I am paid for the year, and they took an extra payment anyway) GOOD LUCK!

But this is the kicker!  I got my renewal form in the mail tonight!  I was expecting an increase.. as there always is.  They want to increase my premium by 115%

That's right, more than double!  Accidents... NO!  Major moving violations ... NO!  One speeding ticket (14 Km over the limit - no demerit points) DWI... NO!,  New Car... NO!

WTF is that about!!  

I am pretty sure its because the new provincial government elected last month promised to take control of the insurance industry "to stop price gouging" and they are jacking everyone for what they can.. while they can!

If I can't find a lower rate - I can't afford to put the car on the road - simple as that!

Its crazy..

/end rant - Sorry, but thanks!

ANyone else have this problem with crazy rates?  What's it like in the US?

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Car Insurance!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 11:32 PM »
But this is the kicker!  I got my renewal form in the mail tonight!  I was expecting an increase.. as there always is.  They want to increase my premium by 115%

That's right, more than double!  Accidents... NO!  Major moving violations ... NO!  One speeding ticket (14 Km over the limit - no demerit points) DWI... NO!,  New Car... NO!

WTF is that about!!  

damn. i thought new jersey was bad. i pay about $850 a year for my car (which is a beat up 1990 nissan 240sx with 115,000 miles on it) and that's just for enough coverage to get me on the road. no theft, collision, fire... none of that good stuff. and i had one speeding ticket - about 12 years ago - and i'm now 33 years old. i think my insurance is pretty high already, but if they tried to hit me with a 115% increase i'd tell them to go screw...

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 01:26 AM »
I had 6 years of declining insurance rates. Three years ago I was down to a little over $1330/year. Then the following year up to around $1400. Last year, $1550. My latest renewal notice says they want to squeeze marrow from my bones -- $1676.

I was told it's from the overall rising cost of auto repairs.  

Come on folks, drive a little more safely so there'll be fewer accidents.

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 09:48 AM »
Overall rising cost of auto repairs.. part of the problem there is the auto body shops screwing the insurance companies!

My father in law is a body man for a major dealership here, and he told me they charge an insurance company x3 what they would charge a customer for the same repair.

They know the company will pay it, plus there is a precident as they always charged high, so they can't stop now!

The problem is everything is getting more expensive, but my damn pay cheque isn't going up that's for sure!

Scott :(

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 12:58 PM »
Alison told me about this too, Scott. Seems like Canada gets a super raw deal when it comes to car insurance.

Is it true that car insurance is only available through independant, private insurers and the frickin' GOVERNMENT!?

I've got minimal coverage one of my cars, a 1995 Chevy Lumina, because it's parked, and comprehensive on a 1991 Chevy Corsica, and I think we pay $90/month, including renters insurance.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 03:19 PM »

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 03:55 PM »
Its supposed to be the same here.

All rates were supposed to be frozen once the new government was sworn into office a few weeks ago.

What I think happened is the companies jacked the rates before the new governement because they could see the writing on the wall, and have now "complied" by freezing them at these artificially high rates.

From what I hear from my broker (also my wife's Aunt and Uncle) for me personally is there has been some mistake by the company.  They have no reason based on my driving record to jack the rates this much at once.

They promised to look into it for me.

We'll see I guess.

Scott

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2004, 11:41 PM »
Since they're passing some strict new "out-of-state" car laws here in Cali right now, I'm going to finally register my car here, which 'til now has been registered in Arizona (where my parents live), ever since I got it about 6 years ago.

That means I've gotta get me some car insurance out here now, and stop moochin' off my parents finally (I was actually paying them though).  So who do you folks have for your insurance, and how much coverage do you have and for what?  How bad's your monthly?

Advice please!   :-*

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2004, 11:55 PM »
Since they're passing some strict new "out-of-state" car laws here in Cali right now, I'm going to finally register my car here, which 'til now has been registered in Arizona (where my parents live), ever since I got it about 6 years ago.

That means I've gotta get me some car insurance out here now, and stop moochin' off my parents finally (I was actually paying them though).  So who do you folks have for your insurance, and how much coverage do you have and for what?  How bad's your monthly?

Advice please!   :-*

You theft, I'm going to the CHP website and report you for your out of state car. ;D ;)  

For my car insurance I have State Farm and its costing me a lot since I'm still new I been driving for a little under two years and I bought a brand new suv.  My insurance is about $3,000 a year. :-[