Author Topic: vintage variation list  (Read 7786 times)

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
vintage variation list
« on: November 23, 2003, 05:20 AM »
Hi there.

Those of you, who do know me proberly also knows that I have a huge list of vintage loose varriations (and no I do not have all of these variations in my own collection, far from).

if your interested in a copy, just drop me a line.

Sincerely
-Henrik
Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: vintage variation list
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 11:17 PM »
Henrik,

Welcome and thanks for the offer.  I would be interested in a copy of the list.  

My email is:

mmsjauna@yahoo.com

-Fish-

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 09:03 AM »
I received this list list from Henrik during the summer. Very nice & recommend it!  ;)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 01:53 PM »
Welcome to Defender Henrik-   great list you gathered.

Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 02:57 PM »
Hey Henrik!  I already said "hi" in your other thread, but what the hell - Welcome to JD (again)!   8)

I'm still prepping for my delve into a vintage carded set right now, but I'd like to see your list as well.  So fire it off to mcolman@JediDefender.com  Thanks!  Our resident variation nut Thomas Grey has also put together a list of Vintage variations right here, in case you wanted to compare the two!   ;)

- Matt
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 03:02 PM by JediMAC »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 10:43 PM »
hey Henrik, nice to see another vintage veteran over here. a question for you and for matt about variation lists, are your lists sticking with just kenner variations or do they include "foreign to the US" variations as well? I noticed the JD variation list didn't include the green snake yoda which i believe is a tri-logo variant.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 03:12 AM »
Thanks nice to be here.

Jason, living in Europe i do not call the tri-log figures foreign, so they are indeed inlcluded in my chart.

Foreign variations (Takara, Lili-Ledy, Top Toys, Glasslite and Tolltoys) are listed in a sperate chart after the Kenner chart in the same Excell file.

I'm not sure I have all of the foreign figures listed, and positively I do not have all of the Kener variations, as new ones pop up quite often. Latest  Dave's Han Hoth with moulded legs insted of painted legs (this one is included).

-Henrik  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 07:33 PM »
question for ... matt about variation lists, are your lists sticking with just kenner variations or do they include "foreign to the US" variations as well? I noticed the JD variation list didn't include the green snake yoda which i believe is a tri-logo variant.

Pretty sure our lists here at JD that Thomas Grey put together are based entirely on the U.S./domestic Kenner product, and therefore they don't include any items or variations from outside the U.S. at this point Jason.  But maybe some of the more notable "foreign" variants, like the Tri-logo green snaked Yoda you pointed out, warrant inclusion as well.  I'll run it by Tom and see what he's got to say about it...

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 08:24 PM »
Having just finished with revising and updating the modern POTF, EP1 & POTJ lists, I am taking a little break from them. I've begun to have nightmares about certain figures and having missed something or falsely added something...

Anyway, my next goal is to go and revise/edit the vintage stuff and start to build a non-US list/foreign list. I included the more widely known and accepted foreign variations, but I ended thinking it would be important to revisit them someday and really begin to fill that gap. I actually have a long standing list working on paper that I will (ugh!) type someday in the future.

I am interested in a copy of the list Henrik to get some perspective on how much I missed...

email me @:
tgrey@jedidefender.com

when you have the chance. Thank you and it's nice to know there are other variation enthusiasts out there.

I have a few questions:

1. Do you include Errors in Manufacturing and if so, do you have the more widely known ones or some obscure ones as well? Errors are always a bit of a challenge as to where to draw the line or the actual importance of a specific error.

2. If these are loose figures(and please pardon my inquiry; it is purely out of curiosity) how do you justify or prove they exist and aren't amateur paint jobs. Some are more easy than others because they are documented in several places, but some are rare and it sometimes is better skipped because the source is solitary and no proof is provided. I know there are not many these days that will accept a modern variation or error without a carded photo. So, just wondering about how you verify your variations.

3. I am also thinking of attempting to compose a prototype list and that could be tricky due to the amount that probably exist and their obscurity. Do you include these at all or just leave them alone?

4. How much of a part did Takara play in the earlier Star Wars figures? I know that they have several exclusive or uniquely scupted versions of different figures (i. e. Darth Vader's dome and C-3po's dome and I think his apendages - legs or arms). Just wondering if it goes beyond that and the regular figures released with the small yellow sticker with Japanese text on it.

Sorry to barrage you and if anyone else can help please chime in.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 12:27 PM »
The other thing that applies here is the discoloration of certain figure parts due to the location of their production. It is difficult to specify where some are made, but this usually relates to discolor or a minor sculpt difference. Trying to document this is agony and not worth the trouble, but when I do find out I try and specify it in the name of interest. Who knows why every Yoda release is a different color? Guess they lost their green recipe or something. Anyway, these pop up quite frequently and are interesting.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 06:28 AM »
Bumping my old thread to tell the variation chat have been updated with Takara, Glasslite, TopToys, Lili-Ledy and Toll Toys figures.

-H

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 09:44 AM »
I just posted over at RS about vintage copyright/date stamp variations on my loose vintage.  I have tons, and was curious of there is a complete list of all the possible variations and if there are some that are extremely HTF.

The only post I got back was that there are literally thousands of variations when it comes to date stamps.

For example. there are Hong Kong and Taiwan stamps, plus for example: my F-7's have completely different date stamps from Hong Kong(one has a backwards "2" on it, one has the date and coo in 2 different places, etc.!  so, if this holds true for most or many vintage, I guess there could be a ton of different  combinations.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 10:23 AM »
I have not included country of origin variations on my chart. that would be a real undertaking, since there are so many different coo variant out there, and the list contains between 350 and  400 variations even without counting coo variants.

(And no I don't have all these figures in my own collection, nor do I intend to hunt down the very minor ones).

-H

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 02:12 PM »
I'd like a list.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 05:03 AM »
Henrik,

I just saw the list posted at TRG, much kudos to you for all the hard work you and the contributors surely must have done to document all the variations. Some interesting variations are out there and it would be neat to hear some reasoning behind them. Like for example, the Jedi Luke cloak variation. Why would Kenner have both the snap-on and sewn versions of the cloak with both versions of the sabers? One would think if the sewn version was started with the blue saber Luke, all the snap-on's would have been used up with the blue saber Luke and never reach the green saber Luke. Interesting for sure....

Cheers!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot