Author Topic: Top Ten Albums of All Time...By Rolling Stone  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Top Ten Albums of All Time...By Rolling Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2003, 06:48 PM »
For one, Led Zeppelin IV and Dark Side of the Moon should have been in the top ten...

Exactly what I was coming along to say!  If not Top 10, at the very least Top 25.

I would've had GnR's Appetite for Destruction up significantly higher as well.  Too much Beatles overload in there though.  Yeah, they were incredible, and revolutionized rock in many ways, but come on - 5 of the top 14?!  Let some other artists play too.

I agree with Virex about the inclusion of the Greatest Hits albums too.  Those aren't really legit, aside from possibly a couple of the biggest ones ever, like perhaps Eagles GH 1.  Otherwise, I say lose them.
I think Robert Plant said something about the media being biased towards the Beatles... he also said Jimi Hendrix is god.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2003, 06:49 PM »
So I went through and tallied up which artists were most-represented, and here's what I've got.  It doesn't add up to 500, so I'm off by five or six somewhere, but oh well.

11 - The Beatles
10 - Bob Dylan
10 - The Rolling Stones
8 - Bruce Springsteen
7 - The Who
6 - David Bowie
6 - Elton John
5 - U2
5 - Led Zeppelin
5 - Bob Marley
5 - Neil Young
5 - Otis Redding
5 - The Byrds
4 - The Velvet Underground
4 - Stevie Wonder
4 - James Brown
4 - Pink Floyd
4 - Simon and Garfunkel
4 - Sly and the Family Stone
4 - Prince
4 - Elvis Costello
4 - Talking Heads
4 - The Smiths
4 - Madonna
4 - Grateful Dead
4 - Roxy Music
4 - The Police
28 with 3
60 with 2
143 with 1
6 - Various Artists
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: December 2, 2003, 11:10 PM »
I finally got this issue last Friday and after studying it thouroughly the one that really ticks me off is listing Green Day at #193.  Do they still even play Green Day on the radio?  

A lot of the explanations for greatest hits were that a lot of the songs were never on true records and more as singles or too old to be on records to begin with...

They pretty much ignored most modern stuff, R&B, Rap and Country though...not sure if that is really fair

Onee of my buddys pointed out too that sales should be a factor in where these albums landed...a mark of their greatness should be how much the general public agrees and buys said music

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #18 on: December 2, 2003, 11:23 PM »
Onee of my buddys pointed out too that sales should be a factor in where these albums landed...a mark of their greatness should be how much the general public agrees and buys said music

Bull honky--if that were the case, then Britney Spears and NSYNC would be the greatest performers of the past five years, and a list of the greatest films of all time would include Home Alone, Titanic, and Phantom Menace.

Sales should never factor into whether something is "good" or not--they only determine what is most popular.  "Good" and "popular" are rarely the same thing.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: December 2, 2003, 11:30 PM »
I'm not saying that it should be the detirmining factor but there should be some part of the equation that is made up from album sales...

Sure I hate Britney Spears and NSync but their albums sold millions of copies, there were numerous #1 singles and they were nowhere to be found.  Why is Thriller on there and the aforementioned aren't???  Because they are cast of as bubblegum pop?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #20 on: December 2, 2003, 11:37 PM »
Thriller is on there because it's a damn good album, all Michael Jackson jokes aside.

I haven't heard any of Britney's or NSYNC's albums all the way through, but I would bet that yes, while they had a few hit songs--they probably weren't albums where every song was good, or at least decent, like Thriller.

Sales shouldn't factor at all into these types of lists, ever.  That's what Billboard is for.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #21 on: December 2, 2003, 11:41 PM »
And, there's plenty of "bubblegum pop" on the list, too--look at who the most-represented artist is, for one. . .