Author Topic: Tatooine Wave (Luke, R2 and R1)  (Read 19986 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: New Luke,R1-G4,R2-D2 Carded Pic
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2003, 02:11 PM »
Maybe I'm just being picky, but the only thing I really have an issue with is the R2 tray.  Instead of the gold paint for the cups R2 is carrying, I'd like to see clear cups with possibly the red & blue tint that Lt. Danl and the Ack Med Cantina figures come with, but smaller, like in the picture on the back of the card.

That's not that nitpicky IMO Pat!  I agree 100%, and this was something that really bothered me about the first loose shots we saw of this figure.  I thought it would be corrected on the final product, but that unfortunately appears to not be the case.

Considering the bar top feature is what makes this R2 figure unique from the rest, I figured Hasbro would go the extra mile to make this accessory as accurate as possible, but they've really missed the boat by making the tray and the glasses "all one".  Very poor job there.  Especially in light of the great glasses we've gotten with the three Outlandar Club figures.  I suppose it's a pretty easy custom to lop them all off, and swap them with better ones, but we shouldn't have to do that...   >:(

And Virex has a pretty valid concern as well, with that top piece sticking out of R2's head.  Hopefully that's not in a dedicated position, and can be lowered/removed so this R2 can serve other purposes.

Mikey already pointed out my final point of contention with this wave, that being the apparent underscaling in the R1-G4 droid, as we all had feared would happen.  I don't think it goes to the bottom of the bubble either, since you can see the beginnings of the base portion of it in that bubble.  Perhaps it'll be a little taller than the standard figures, but probably not much.  Bummer.  But don't get me wrong, it is still a great looking figure.  The rest of the detail and accuracy is absolutely top notch on it!

Luke of course looks excellent as well.  Just hope it's a good fabric used on the cloth, so it actually "drapes" for once, rather than looking like the usual big stiff and poofy cloth outfit Hasbro usually puts out...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2003, 02:48 PM »
I agree with everyone's nitpicks, but for the most part these look great.  Luke reminds me so much of the day I bought the vintage Jedi Luke, his body entirely wrapped up in his cloak.  Cool.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2003, 03:36 PM »
These 3 look nice...the Luke is one of my favorites
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2003, 03:37 PM »
I am excited by these for sure.  Jedi Luke is one of those figures that I have wanted a re-do on since the SOTE days.  Until this one, the Vintage was still a superior figure.  I also like the soft cloak.  The Molded Cloaks just never really looked right to me.  I know other people like em, but ever since the POTJ Lando, I've been hoping they'd do more.

I don't know if I'd call R1 boring, I mean, it IS a figure of a character that has not seen plastic yet.  I realize he doesn't do much..but I do plan to get at least 2.

I like the R2-D2 too. I haven't thought about it enough to know if I am disappointed about the lack of colored plastic in the cups, but I would have expected just like you guys did that that would be the case.

Oh well.  Instead of just wanting one figure per wave, like this year, it looks like I can finally buy cases online and not get stuck with a bunch of useless (to me at least) figures.

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2003, 03:54 PM »
Well, this probably isn't the right forum section to ask, but since we are on the subject of R2 drinks on his drink tray, I have a customizing question.  I am VERY new to customizing.  I just tried a "simple" head swap for a custom to compete in the artoosnews.com's SH4 constest (won 8th place).  I had to trim & trim the knob under the neck to get the head back in the hole.  I didn't have that big of an issue pulling it out, but I could not get it back in.  

Anyway,  with painting, which I have never attempted and would be nervous on something with such small detail.   I think I would like to keep the current "cups" on since I think it would be a night mare to try to keep them balanced on the tray.  I don't know if a small drill bit could hallow out the top of a cup, but I'd like to try that.  But then what paint... grey/white? to paint the top of the cup with the appropriate drink color at the bottom of the cup.  Anyone ever customize something with this small of detail?  Would it be worth it?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 08:12 AM by obi-dad »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2003, 05:43 PM »
I'll definately pick up Luke and R1-G4...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2003, 10:57 PM »
first off, this an awesome wave of figures, the luke just blows my mind away, I'll definitely be buying several of those, assuming I can find them...

Well, this probably is the right place to ask, but since we are on the subject of R2 drinks on his drink tray, I have a customizing question.  I am VERY new to customizing.  I just tried a "simple" head swap for a custom to compete in the artoosnews.com's SH4 constest (won 8th place).  I had to trim & trim the knob under the neck to get the head back in the hole.  I didn't have that big of an issue pulling it out, but I could not get it back in.  

Well headswaps can be tricky when talking about putting a head whose neck peg is larger than the hole you're trying to insert it in. Sounds like the case here and your solution was the right way to go.  I don't know whether or not you used the time honored "boil and pop" method for removing the head, but you can actually use it again to put the head back on.

Anyway,  with painting, which I have never attempted and would be nervous on something with such small detail.   I think I would like to keep the current "cups" on since I think it would be a night mare to try to keep them balanced on the tray.  I don't know if a small drill bit could hallow out the top of a cup, but I'd like to try that.  But then what paint... grey/white? to paint the top of the cup with the appropriate drink color at the bottom of the cup.  Anyone ever customize something with this small of detail?  Would it be worth it?

I didn't notice if the cups were removable or not, but a simple dab of glue would obviously keep them on permanently. A very small drill bit probably would do the trick in hollowing out the cup. About painting in small details, it just takes time and practice, especially when it comes to R2 units, they're a tricky lot. :)

Might I suggest checking out the always fabulous FFURG for all your customizing question needs.  ;) Of course also hit the customizing section here at JD where you can pick the brain of many of us customizers.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2003, 08:21 AM »
Thanks Corran...

I've checked out FFURG for a couple of years and always "planned" to do a few customs, but never did until the contest.   I did do the boil & pop method, but I guess the neck peg was larger on the 2nd figure.

Anyway, I think this is definitely a case where I'll buy multiple figures for the purpose of trying to modify the glasses on his tray.  The cups look like they are just molded bumps on the tray, all covered in that gold paint, so I doubt they are removable.   But, I guess another idea would be to lop them off and glue some cups from the cantina sets that are warming Walmarts pegs.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2003, 09:31 AM »
Yeah, this is a dandy trio of figures in my opinion also.

-Luke Jedi...  ShabbyBlue over at GH.com is claiming he has ball/socket shoulders and knee articulation on top of the bicep swivels, wrists (possibly) and the standard other joints...  If this is true, then this Luke will be one of the finest figures Hasbro ever made, period.  

I'm not so sure that I'm seeing that ball/socket shoulder and knee articulation though, so I'll not be surprised if it isn't there.  I just can't tell by the photos myself.  Either way though, this Luke is shaping up to be GREAT custom fodder on top of being a simply grand figure.  Glad I held off on ever making a Yun the Dark Youth from Jedi Knight now that this new Jedi Luke sculpt is coming.  :)

-R1 unit...  New droid, nuff said...  But I'll say some more anyway.  Its scale has been brought into question, but really it's not that big a droid (I think its being in shots with Jawas has mislead some to believe it's really tall).  I'm happy to nab a few of this for customizing.  They're regular on large starships I hear, so repaints may be in order for this one...  Yes, I can turn even R1-G4 into an army builder of sorts. :)

-Bar2-D2...  This is the last R2-D2 variation I ever really wanted to see, and finally it's here.  If all his crap pops off him he'll even be a good customizing figure I believe, but if not he'll serve his purpose (get it "serve", haha...  I'm sorta funny) as the Bartender R2 we all want...  

If he were truly "perfect" though then all his gadgets would remove easily and show no real signs other than maybe a pinhole in the top of his dome, and he'd have the articulated 3 legs that the good astromech sculpts all have.

And last he'd have an opening slot in his dome with Luke's Lightsabre hilt able to fit in it, conceiled perfectly.  

I'm not expecting all that of course, but if it were perfect that's what it would have. :)

So this is indeed a nice wave coming up.  I can't wait to see these on shelves, but at this point I'm hoping to just see ANY Saga figures on shelves.  It's all Clone Wars around me right now and very little Saga is shipping.  I've yet to see the new Emperor wave, and all that jive...  Hmmm, hope I'm not gonna have to go begging for help on some of this stuff!  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2003, 11:46 AM »
Some new upclose bubble shots...

Jedi Luke

R1-G4

Bar2-D2

« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 11:47 AM by OCB »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: December 1, 2003, 02:55 PM »
And Virex has a pretty valid concern as well, with that top piece sticking out of R2's head.  Hopefully that's not in a dedicated position, and can be lowered/removed so this R2 can serve other purposes.

Don't know if this has been readdressed yet or not... just saw the pics today.

Anyway, at gh.com's pre-view/pictures of this wave, it looks like the thingy on top or R2's head IS removable:

http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=3218&text=&imageid=8043&box=&shownew=

http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=3218&text=&imageid=8042&box=&shownew=

Just an FYI!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: December 1, 2003, 03:19 PM »
That is cool!  Is there a comparison shot of Luke and R1 for scale over there?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #57 on: December 1, 2003, 03:31 PM »
Is there a comparison shot of Luke and R1 for scale over there?

Yep.  Meant to point this out last week, but GH has a shot of the R1-G4 droid with a Jawa figure.  Doesn't look to be too terribly tall unfortunately.  Probably just a tad above the rest of the average figures would be my guess.   :-\

Nice to see the thing pops off of R2's noggin.  Not sure what's left when it's not there though, since there's no shot from above.  There's obviously going to be a small hole for the peg to fit in for starters.  Not sure if the blue portion of the top of the domw will remain though, since that's on the piece that's removable...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #58 on: December 1, 2003, 03:31 PM »
No, but they've got a Jawa beside it for comparrison.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #59 on: December 1, 2003, 03:39 PM »
R1-G4 and Jawa

Looks pretty good actually
« Last Edit: December 1, 2003, 04:47 PM by OCB »