Author Topic: Tatooine Wave (Luke, R2 and R1)  (Read 19984 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: New Hasbro Jabba Palace Announcement!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2003, 02:37 PM »
Indeed it does.

I've been wanting a really clean, well-articulated Artoo for a long, long time--something like the R2-Q5, only with an Artoo paint job--and this looks like it could be it...

The Luke looks fantastic too, of course--I just wish they would have also shown it without the cloak on, like the pic from Wizard World.  

Cool stuff.

Virex... You actually collect Star Wars figures?  I didn't know that!  Thought I was in the wrong section for a minute when I saw your name there...   :P

I've gotta say that these figures and the rest of the new figure announcements are just superb!  Almost make up for the lack of "girthiness" in a certain upcoming slug...   :-\  I would've loved to have seen Hermi Odle and Yarna thrown into the mix, but I'm most certain that they're coming down the pipeline at some point, so I guess I can be patient until they're finally confirmed as well.

The R1 droid is fantastic.  I just hope they've added a little bit of extra heighth to it to get it to scale.  He sure would look snazzy in front of a Sandcrawler now, wouldn't he?!   :-*  I'd still love to see that "spider" Treadwell Droid, the LIN Mining Droid, and a revamped R5-D4, but this is a great start to the scene, especially with such an obscure, well done, and ALL-NEW droid.   8)

Nice to see R2 finally get his long overdue Bartender treatment.  I agree with you guys, that hopefully his tray is removable and leaves a very nice astromech beneath it.  I've got to assume there's a little pin-hole attachment at some particular point to hold the tray in place.  BTW, are those the drink cups all around the tray, painted in gold still?  That's not correct, is it?  Hopefully that'll change before it's release...

Luke's obviously awesome.  'Nuff said on that one.

As for the remaining figures announced, just seeing Wol Cabbashite in the mix there is certifiable proof that not a single character or thing from the Star Wars universe is off limits to Hasbro now.  That's a GREAT thing!!!  Now where's Scott's ICMG?!   :-*  I'm sure it'll be nice for some of the newer collectors to get their hands on the formerly exclusive Monk from long ago, so that's a worthy choice for a re-release.  Bubo's cool, and is certainly someone who's been asked for quite frequently (usually as a pack-in).  Good chance this "Ultra" (Deluxe) 3-pack will come with an archway/door of some type to attach Wol to, so that'll be very cool if it comes to fruition.

Elom and J'Quille will make nice additions to the larger thug contingent at the Palace.  I'm a little concerned over the part sharing with these two as well, especially since Scott (I believe) pointed out somewhere that one of them's 6'6" and the other's only 5'.  Hopefully Hasbro will pick up on that disparity.  Skiff Lando?  I guess.  Hopefully he's all new, and even nicer than the previous one from many years ago.  Holo Luke will be interesting, and I guess pretty cool.  Again, I believe his holograph in ROTJ was WAY high/tall, so hopefully Hasbro picks up on that.

Can't wait to see pictures of these other guys next month!  2004 is shaping up to be possible the best year ever, or at least one that rivals that latter half of POTJ!   8)  Now scoop me some more new announcements!  Now that I've got the taste in my mouth, I'm getting greedy!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2003, 08:31 AM »
Virex... You actually collect Star Wars figures?  I didn't know that!  Thought I was in the wrong section for a minute when I saw your name there...   :P

Yeah, well, it's not something I'm proud of.   8)  (And, if you'll remember, I did post here a few weeks ago, asking you about the Star Tours figures. . .)

I've been collecting for years, and I've got a whole roomful of junk, but I've cut down on my collecting drastically this year (haven't bought anything since January).  I still like to hang out on the collecting boards, though, since I like the community, and it also allows me to keep tabs on what's out, what's coming out, and what's going on with the new movie.

Normally, I don't have much to add, because most of the time, someone else has already said what I would have said.  However, I'm a big Artoo fan, and this time, I was excited about seeing this new figure--which looks like it could very well be the best Artoo to date--unless, of course, the integrity of the dome and legs is compromised.   :D

(This one, in terms of scale and detail, kicks the crap out of the 1999 Holo Leia Artoo, which a lot of people think is the best Artoo out there.  In terms of articulation, it is, but it's vastly undersized, and the dome is awful.)

Anyway, I've already revealed more than I planned, so back to Secret Lurking Mode!   :-X  
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2003, 03:04 PM »
(And, if you'll remember, I did post here a few weeks ago, asking you about the Star Tours figures. . .)

D'oh!  Check the Star Tours thread I just bumped back up V...   :-[

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2003, 08:06 PM »
What a wonderful bit of news from the big H the other day!  The 3 previewed figures look fantastic, and the announcement of most of the new ones are just great!  Looks like the sky's the limit with the background characters now, as evidenced by a couple of Hasbro's figure selections here.  That's definitely great to see.  Now I'm more anxious than ever to find out the rest of the goodies for next year's line!  Looks like it's going to be an amazing year for us classic trilogy collectors.  8)

Offline boba_jp

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Slave1
New Luke,R1-G4,R2-D2 Carded Pic
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2003, 05:52 AM »
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 06:07 AM by boba_jp »
-------
Boba Fett Collection Site "Slave1"

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: New Luke,R1-G4,R2-D2 Carded Pic
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2003, 07:33 AM »
I'll have to check the Essential Guide to Droids, but I think the R1 droid is under scaled.  If so, then that's disappointing.  

Also no Jawa packaged with him as was rumored.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2003, 09:39 AM »
Nice set of figures for sure.  I'll be buying all 3!  Thanks for the pics boba_jp

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2003, 09:51 AM »
Agreed, a great set of figures...I too will buy all three of these.  This is the Jedi Luke figure I have been hoping for since my vintage one from my childhood :P.  It looks like it is very well done, and more than makes up for the action-featured one from this year.  Thanks for the pics boba_jp!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 10:23 AM by mosnab »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2003, 09:56 AM »
I concur. Super figures & I'll be getting them!  8)
Nice pictures, Thanks!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2003, 09:59 AM »
Must have Jedi Luke....  :o

I wish I had all three of those figures right now.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2003, 10:07 AM »
Well, the drink tray is removable from Artoo, as I hoped, but it looks like the little top-of-the-dome thing may be permanently stuck in the upright position, as I feared.  Hopefully not, but that's what it looks like from the cardback.

Other than that, it looks great--that little thing may keep it from being the perfect Artoo figure ever made.  Oh well--probably an easy enough custom job.

Luke looks great, too, and so does the R1 droid, if not a little boring.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2003, 10:17 AM »
Have you guys noticed the R1 droid is in Mos Eisley in the shot where the swoop almost collides with the Ronto? Its off in the background to the left of the Ronto. I'd forgotten about this until a few weeks ago.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2003, 10:59 AM »
they start over, and have the 04 numbering.  Nice!!!!!!!!!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2003, 12:44 PM »
These look excellent.  I can't complain one bit.

About  R1's scale, it looks like he takes up the entire bubble top to bottem. (Look at the Jedi Luke, you can see his feet in the bubble.) That alone would make the droid very tall.  
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2003, 01:00 PM »
Maybe I'm just being picky, but the only thing I really have an issue with is the R2 tray.  Instead of the gold paint for the cups R2 is carrying, I'd like to see clear cups with possibly the red & blue tint that Lt. Danl and the Ack Med Cantina figures come with, but smaller, like in the picture on the back of the card.