Author Topic: K-mart still in trouble - closing MORE stores...  (Read 9615 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: K-mart still in trouble - closing MORE stores...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 07:04 AM »
Guys, guys, guys (and Bertha)...I think the important thing to do is ask, How Would Jesus Punctuate?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2005, 09:02 AM »
I like K-Mart, but I havent seen one for 8 years(in Canada).
So I guess its too bad.
Then again I am lucky to find a #6 clone trooper  :P and you guys still have Target and KB.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 09:52 AM »
Bunch of crumb bumbs in this thread!!

PS - Kmart sucks
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 5, 2017, 01:12 PM »
BUMP!

More K-Mart & Sears stores are closing.  Check out THIS CNBC ARTICLE for details.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: January 5, 2017, 01:35 PM »
I saw Sears is selling the Craftsman brand to Stanley/Black & Decker too. 

Can't imagine they have too much time left before they are either out of business completely or split up and sold for parts...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 5, 2017, 01:53 PM »
Looks like my local store is gone, so I can only hope that Kmart no longer gets any exclusives.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 5, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Seriously?!?!  I think I'm more upset about the Craftsman news than with Kmart/Sears closing stores.  I've had a lot of my Craftsman tools for about 20 years, and they all still work really well.  I might have to stock up.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: January 5, 2017, 02:13 PM »
My local store is finally on the chopping block. Been a dump for years, but was the place really for toys back in the day. Spent an ungodly amount of time there as a kid. My mom would go for the blue light specials which I think were all like on one night and you had to kind of camp out to see what they were. I'd just drop anchor in the toy aisle, or the electronics department.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 5, 2017, 02:14 PM »
That toy aisle rocked back in the day, Darby.  It's definitely not the same, but I was like you hanging out there while my mother shopped.

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 5, 2017, 03:05 PM »
I saw Sears is selling the Craftsman brand to Stanley/Black & Decker too. 

Can't imagine they have too much time left before they are either out of business completely or split up and sold for parts...

Article on how the Craftsman brand represents nearly all of the value in Sears/Kmart market cap.  Sears' market cap is only $1.1 billion and the Craftsman brand is being sold for $900 million.

It looks like Sears has been pealing off everything of value creating a separate real estate company, spinning off Lands End, etc.  I assume its only a short matter of time until they shut down all Sears/Kmart operations.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 5, 2017, 05:12 PM »
They opened up a Sears Grand store here a little under 10 years ago, but it was this giant store that was a ghost town (and still is). I went there once or twice to snag some of the Kmart exclusives, but they got rid of the toy section in 2012-ish. I was there a few weeks ago to pick up an online order of the exclusive Jyn Erso figure and it looked like a store that had been rampaged in a zombie apocalypse (though still less sad than setting foot inside a Best Buy).

Learning something new every day, though, apparently there is (or was) a Kmart an hour from me. Had I known that, I wouldn't have had to rely on Jesse James for so much Kmart stuff. Also, Lands End is still a thing. I remember that being "the" upscale brand before Gap got popular.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2017, 05:36 PM »
Glad the Craftsman brand will live on even if Sears dies.  I think their tool section is fantastic, but could probably make do at Home Depot and Lowes.

I can live without every aspect of Kmart.  Its a dump and doesn't offer anything other than the random SW exclusive that could go to a different retailer.

But maybe the biggest loss for me would be Sears' large appliance offering.  I'm consistently underwhelmed by shopping for these things at Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  Sears isn't great, but seems to be solidly better than most alternatives.  Granted I probably only buy a new large appliance once every five years, but Sears always seems to win my business for these.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2017, 06:50 PM »
To be honest, Craftsman is a lot junkier now...  Not everything, but you overpay for Chinese-made tools generally with it now, and are paying for the name...  If you want something as good, you can go to Harbor Freight for things like sockets, ratchets (which are vastly superior to just about all Craftsman)...  OLD Craftsman stuff was US made, and superior.  It's become difficult to get though.  Their screwdrivers are still US made and far more durable (since they double as prying tools usually, heh).

That said, Craftsman sells better tool sets overall than many similar priced things...  For instance, Stanley.  So Stanley buying them is kinda ugh.  They've largely been overtaken though by Gear Wrench, Harbor Freight's Pittsburgh brand, etc.  Tekton is ok, and I believe that's Home Depot's line.  Kobalt (Lowes) blows, trust me. 

From a tools perspective though, Craftsman has gone downhill in the past 10-15 years, and it's probably not going to trend upward with Stanley/B&D owning it unfortunately.  They'll pass in a crowd if the crowd gets big enough, but the reality is most of what they offer can be had for a fraction of the price at Harbor Freight, same lifetime warranty, and less of a hassle (they've become real dicks on exchanging) over it too.  And stuff like HF's 72tooth ratchet?  It blows Craftsman out of the water and is vastly more comparable to Snap On, Matco, etc.

What Craftsman does really nicely though, is sells a decent socket or mechanics tool set, whereas the "sets" at places like Harbor Freight can really suck...  You can get a set of like deep metric impact sockets, and those will be cool, but if you bought a "mechanics tool set" of a lot of random stuff, it's usually made of some insanely cheap stuff and you don't get their individual smaller sets...  It's kinda tricky to navigate the tool world, haha.

If you wrench day/night though, most of those guys are looking at things like Matco, Snap-On, etc.  Even those brands you have to watch somewhat though.  But I know so many guys buying Harbor Freight Toolboxes because Craftsman etc. have become insanely overpriced and HF is as good or better quality.  It's a sign of the general global market times we live.

Now, my father's Craftsman stuff, it's all US made for the most part, stuff from the 60s/70s...  some older even.  And here's something goofy...  Individual sockets are often US made whereas the big sets are Chinese (but ok), but when you break one  you get a better US made one...  so weird how that's set up.

K-Mart is ok here...  The stores aren't fantastic, and the ones in the city are worse, but they're fairly clean and well stocked.  Their rewards program is unmatched by anyone else (points spend like $, and if you play the coupons right you accrue a ton fast), and they've had the only exclusives worth buying now for years...  It's not a lock those will go to another retailer because it's something the retailer has to want.  I can't imagine K-Mart had dibs ya know?  But they always had something good every year while WM, Target, etc., generally have not for some time.

I'm curious to see what Craftsman will turn into now, but with a KM right up over the hill from me, I'll miss it...  Though mine and the other one not far away aren't leaving either.  Still do pretty well out here in the boonies I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 9, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Glad the Craftsman brand will live on even if Sears dies.  I think their tool section is fantastic, but could probably make do at Home Depot and Lowes.

I was under the impression that Craftsman isn't what it used to be.  That the warranties are crap now, that they're made in China...

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd I just read Jesse's post.  So yeah...
« Last Edit: January 9, 2017, 11:47 AM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 9, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Must be nice to have a "local store."  I haven't even driven by a KMart in years.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today