Author Topic: Baseball Offseason 2003-2004  (Read 13796 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Baseball Offseason 2003-2004
« on: November 29, 2003, 07:52 AM »
Well, all you sports fans out there know by now that Schilling is on his way to Beantown.  To me, this will help tremendously.  And if we can sign Foulke (SP), we should have the Yanks looking over there shoulders a bit more.  Whats everyones take?  Boston fans give a shout and some input.  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 10:29 AM by OCB »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Red Sox Take Right Step!
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2003, 07:25 AM »
Isn't it funny how the season has been over for over a month now and the Red Sox are still front page news?  Like I said in the baseball thread, if Schilling is the final piece of the puzzle to finally bringing a championship to Beantown, then he would be immediately vaulted to god like status.  It all looks good on paper, with Pedro-Schill-Lowe-Wakefield and either Kim or Arroyo as your starting rotation and good set up men in Timlin and Embree.  Hopefully a great closer in Foulke to round out a solid pitching staff to go with our potent offense.  But what always looks good on paper doesn't always translate to wins.  Francona as manager should do well and we'll definitely compete and hopefully win it all.  Can't wait.  Don't pitchers and catchers report in like a month ;)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 2, 2003, 10:06 AM »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 2, 2003, 11:41 AM »
It was a nice move by the Red Sox.  Problem is that has the Yanks front office all riled up and are rumored to be going for Kevin Brown and Latroy Hawkins and maybe acquiring Kenny Lofton from the Cubbies.  The Evil Empire will not be easily conquered.  LOL!  

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2003, 07:55 AM »
Looks like Francona will become the newest member of the Red Sox this morning.  Now all we need is to sign Foulke and we are in pretty decent shape.  Already cant wait for opening day.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2003, 03:00 PM »
Big trade rumors indicating A-Rod to BoSox for Manny Ramirez.  I can't remember where Nomar may head.  LA Dodgers?  If indeed the BoSox land A-Rod that would be an amazing pickup.  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 8, 2003, 03:23 PM »
It's just that - a rumour.  

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2003, 04:33 PM »
That's true.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2003, 04:39 PM »
I can't remember where Nomar may head.  LA Dodgers?

Gimme, gimme, gimme!!!   ;D

Yeah, we've been hearing the same trade talk out here.  Nomar's certainly a stud, but replacing him with A-Rod would still be a step up, and a definite statement (to the Yanks) that the Sox mean business...

Unfortunately, the Dodgers are currently up for sale as we speak, so I don't think the current owner can make too big a move without the prospective new owner's approval.  I think that's part of why they were trying to move Kevin Brown - to dump some salary and make the team more attractive/cheaper to purchase.  Hopefully the polish off the sale, and we can snag Garciaparra.  I'd love to see him in Dodger Blue!   8)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2003, 05:37 PM »
Actually, L.A. and Anaheim were some teams I heard mentioned about Nomar.  Will it become a 3 way trade, if these Rodriguez rumours pan out?  I say spend the extra cake now, and eat it later.  Trade Manny, pick up Rodriguez and move Nomar to 2nd.  Or, do the Manny trade and get rid of Nomar for another top pitcher (Maddux anyone?).  I know i'm dreaming on that one, but I have a feeling that we may end up with two of the top three SS in baseball.  Costly? Sure, but I have a feeling that everyone in the front office is pretty sincere and want to deliver now instead of later. On a side note, that fat uckfay Wells was signed to the Yankees minor league system.  
« Last Edit: December 8, 2003, 05:40 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2003, 07:56 PM »
Big trade rumors indicating A-Rod to BoSox for Manny Ramirez.  I can't remember where Nomar may head.  LA Dodgers?  If indeed the BoSox land A-Rod that would be an amazing pickup.  

Well, word has it that the GM of the Rangers has set a deadline of December 16th to make a Manny-ARod deal.  Let's see if these two teams can get it done.  Texas might actually need the slugger in Manny since both Palmeiro and Juan-Gon are both free agents.

Then, if memory serves me right, Nomar might be headed to the Angels if the ARod deal goes through.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 04:59 PM »
Another big RUMOR going around right now is that the Cubs are close to signing Pudge Rodriguez to a 3 year deal.  This excites me since I'm a Cub fan, but I take it with a grain of salt.  Supposedly Dan Patrick of ESPN said on his show today or yesterday that he will be a Cub but it won't be announced for sometime.  Hey, sounds good to me if it happens :)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 10:27 AM »
Andy Pettite sticks to ole Georgie boy and signs with the Houston Astros.  Good news for the Red Sox, not so great for the Yanks.

And it seems like the Arod to Boston rumor is growing. Apparently, he and his agent talked to the players union about a possible restructuring of his contract.  From what I understand, that only happens when a deal is close to being done.

And since this thread seems to be turning into an all baseball and not just a Red Sox thread, maybe a mod (or Jim?) could change the title into something like JD's off season baseball thread or such?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Baseball Offseason 2003-2004
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 10:30 AM »
I'm pretty pissed at the Twins right now...

Perzynski, Guardado, Hawkins and Milton (all former all stars except LaTroy) have all been dealt (for crap) or not signed

They resigned Shannon Stewart but haven't done anything else, I fully expect the White Sox and Royals to pass them this year.  Looks like the dream is over yet again :'(

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball Offseason 2003-2004
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2003, 10:58 AM »
Looks like the Pudge thing to the Cubs is all rumor.  I'd love to see it happen but he wants $10 million each year for 4 years.  That's pretty high for a 32 or 33 year old catcher.  I'd like to see him in Cubbie blue but just don't think it will happen with that price.  Oh well.