Author Topic: Baseball Offseason 2003-2004  (Read 13793 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Baseball Offseason 2003-2004
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2004, 02:50 PM »
...Vlad going to Anahiem...

I was absolutely dumbfounded the other day when I heard that.  Incredible pick-up for the Halos, and like you said, totally out of left field!  Hadn't even heard we were contenders for him.  Nice to see that the new owner is proactive, and willing to spend some cash.  First really big free agent signing by us in quite a while - since Mo Vaughn about 5 years ago.

Picked up a couple good pitchers as well, so hopefully the Angels will be right in the thick of things again this upcoming year.

As for the Dodgers though...   ::)   >:(

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2004, 01:11 AM »
...Vlad going to Anahiem...

First really big free agent signing by us in quite a while - since Mo Vaughn about 5 years ago.

If only Vlad turns out half as productive as Mo was things should be just peachy!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2004, 07:03 AM »
Clemens is a piece of ****.  You Yankees fans now know how it feels.  He pretty much did the same thing when he left Boston, shunned the fans who supported him for years.  I can't wait until the first time someone beans his fat ass.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2004, 11:04 AM »
It will probably be somebody from the Mets who beans him.  Someone will eventually.  Well I am hoping the Cubs can turnaround and sign Greg Maddux now that Houston has the Rocket.  Supposedly he's going to get an offer from the Cubs later on today.  

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2004, 01:05 PM »
Here we go again. The A-Rod talk is heating up once again.  If I was Nomar, this would probably start getting to me.  Sure we all know its a business, himself included, but not knowing your future with less than a month before spring training?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2004, 01:24 PM »
Well, for my own selfish reasons, I'm glad to see the A-Rod talk kickin' up again, 'cause it means there's a good chance that Nomar may end up in Dodger blue as a result!  The Dodgers ownership is in a state of limbo right now, which has led to us having probably the worst off season in all of baseball this year.  We've acquired absolutely nothing, and got rid of Kevin Brown to boot!

So landing someone as great as Garciaparra would definitely bring a much needed shot of enthusiasm for the fans, and star-power for the team, back to L.A.   8)

Meanwhile, the neighboring Angels have possibly had the best off season of any team, puncuated by the recent signing of Vladamir Guerrero.  Their free wheeling spending spree is helping to overshadow (and embarrass) the Dodgers even further...

Meanwhile, 30+ years later, I'm still waiting for my dream Freeway World Series between the Dodgers and Angels...   :-\

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2004, 03:36 PM »
Well the Brewers are up for sale. I can say I am happy to see this. Hopefully new ownership would put some lifeblood back into the team. The team still has a 30 year lease so I am sure they would stay in Milwaukee. I would be happy to see Selig as owner.  
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2004, 05:03 PM »

Meanwhile, 30+ years later, I'm still waiting for my dream Freeway World Series between the Dodgers and Angels...   :-\

I still hoping for this as will... just so the Angels kick the Dodgers butts.   ;D

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2004, 10:50 PM »
looks like my yankees are making some pretty good moves this offseason...

RHP Tom Gordon (White Sox)
RHP Paul Quantrill (Dodgers)
INF/OF Miguel Cairo (Cardinals)
OF Gary Sheffield (Braves)
OF Kenny Lofton (Cubs)    
1B Tony Clark (Mets)    
RHP Javier Vazquez (Expos)  
RHP Kevin Brown (Dodgers)  

although i didn't like this tidbit of news too much:

The Yankees' current projected rotation -- Mike Mussina, Kevin Brown, Jose Contreras, Jon Lieber and Javier Vazquez -- is all right-handed. New York hasn't gone with an all-righty rotation since 1992, and hasn't made the postseason with one in 57 years, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

just doesn't make any sense... no lefties?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2004, 10:51 AM »
Well my Cubbies have an all righty starting pitching staff

Prior
Wood
Zambrano
Clement
Maddux (if he signs with the Cubs)  

It would be nice to have a lefty but they are scarce.  It should not be that big a deal really.  Nice yes, but no biggee.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2004, 10:14 AM »
The Twins had their TwinsFest this weekend and so lots of the boys are in town and as such have been interviewed by local media.  Lets just say they are not too happy with the way payroll and players have been thrown off unceremoniously.  If you pay them , we will come, if you don't F You Carl "Uncle Scrooge" Pohlad

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2004, 11:12 AM »
Seems like a good time to bump, now that Steinbrenner has screwed us Sox fans over one more time.  This is why we need a salary cap in baseball.  No doubt this is going to help the Yanks in their hitting, and easily replaces Soriano.  I had a gut feeling about this the day the deal with the Sox fell through.  Saw it coming.  Hopefully the League can find some loophole to screw the deal over, but I aint counting on it.   >:(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2004, 02:44 PM »
Seems like a good time to bump, now that Steinbrenner has screwed us Sox fans over one more time.  This is why we need a salary cap in baseball.  No doubt this is going to help the Yanks in their hitting, and easily replaces Soriano.  I had a gut feeling about this the day the deal with the Sox fell through.  Saw it coming.  Hopefully the League can find some loophole to screw the deal over, but I aint counting on it.   >:(

You do realize Jim, that you failed to mention exactly what this deal was, and exactly who was involved, right?   ;)

A-Rod to the Yankees (for Soriano)   :o

I was in shock when I heard this.  Yeah, at some point baseball's going to have to do something about this.  I understand that Steinbrenner and the Yanks are certainly playing by the rules, and that he's willing to spend (and get taxed) more than anyone else by a landslide, but this is just getting ridiculous...

Not to mention it was one helluva blow to Sox fans... again.  Man, I couldn't even fathom the thought of being you guys, and trying to temper my anger and disappointment with so many things that have transpired over the years.  Baseball couldn't approve the deal to send A-Rod to the Sox, but no problem whatsoever sending him to the Yankees?!  Huh?!?   ???

I can't believe that the Yanks are getting him for as cheap as they are, and that Texas was willing to eat $67 million of the $179 million left on Rodriguez's $252 million, 10-year contract!  Don't think they offered to do that when the Sox deal was in trouble, otherwise I'd imagine it would've worked out like this one did.  Soriano (and a player to be named later) for A-Rod (and a ton of cash paid for his salary)?  Yeah, that's an even trade...   ::)

Boggles the mind, I tell ya'.  Evil Empire indeed.   :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 02:48 PM by JediMAC »

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2004, 03:07 PM »
I'm kind of surprised this trade went thru too. If ever there was a time when they need to institute a salary cap for teams, this is the deal to make it happen. What's the Yankees payroll now, 200 million?  ::)  Yeah, that's fair when about 25 other teams can't even afford a 100 million dollar payroll. But yet the Yankees keep plugging away setting a new record year after year for payroll.

On the flip side, at least Texas got a great player in return. Soriano, offensively, is just about as good as A-Rod, and 3 years younger, so still not even in his prime yet. He's the guy who should have won the MVP 2 years ago instead of Tejada. But that's another arguement.  ;)

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2004, 03:11 PM »
The column I read this morning stated that when this contract is up, and all deferred payments made, the Rangers will have forked over $140M for three years of Rodriguez -- $46.67M a year.  :o