Author Topic: Vintage gaming nerds, check this out:  (Read 12476 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Vintage gaming nerds, check this out:
« Reply #15 on: December 2, 2003, 08:42 PM »
So, next time I meet you we'll have to go head-to-head (or hand-to-hand, I should say) as I can make a quarter last a good, long time  :-*

Bring it on Beth!   :-*  What's your game(s) of choice?

I just want this for PC:

...and this...

Those screen shots bring back some good memories anyone?!   8)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 2, 2003, 08:50 PM »
DK, Moon Patrol and Marble Madness.  I'm best at DK.
Love those screen shots...ahhh the good ole days.  Heck, I remember having/playing "pong".  I think my kids would consider playing that worse than taking the car keys away!!
Beth

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #17 on: December 2, 2003, 08:54 PM »
Regarding the new Intellivision Lives comp--here's the cover for the XBox version (PS2 is the same):

Game list:

• Armor Battle
  • Astrosmash
  • B-17 Bomber
  • Backgammon
  • Baseball
  • Body Slam: Super Pro Wrestling
  • Bomb Squad
  • Bowling
  • Boxing
  • Buzz Bombers
  • Checkers
  • Football
  • Frog Bog
  • Golf
  • Hockey
  • Horse Racing
  • Hover Force
  • Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack
  • Las Vegas Roulette
  • Motocross
  • Night Stalker
  • Pinball
  • Reversi
  • Sea Battle
  • Shark! Shark!
  • Skiing
  • Snafu
  • Soccer
  • Space Armada
  • Space Battle
  • Space Hawk
  • Space Spartans
  • Spiker!: Super Pro Volleyball
  • Stadium Mud Buggies
  • Star Strike
  • Sub Hunt
  • Tennis
  • Thin Ice
  • Utopia
  • Vectron
  • And more!!
$19.99 at EB Games. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: December 2, 2003, 09:02 PM »
There are a couple of other compilations for the PlayStation, in addition to the two you mentioned above, that I've got:

Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection 1
Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection 2

Yeah, I noticed those two in there with the two I mentioned as well.  But I've got most of those on that Atari Anniversary Edition collection, with the exception of Gauntlet, Marble Madness, Road Blasters, and Paperboy, the latter of which is the only one I'm mildly bummed about missing.

Now, what's genius about this new Treasures compilation, is that they've added a couple of "new" games that aren't available anywhere else, but they've also left off at least one game from three of the four previous compilations!  Which means, if you're a tool like me, you have to buy the new compilation, just for the two or three games that you don't already have, while at the same time, you have to hold on to all the old compilations, just for Burger Time, for example, which isn't on the new one.

Exactly what I was going to point out when I noticed that Burger Time was missing, in addition to Moon Patrol.  Very clever little turds they are.  After perusing a bunch of the classic video game sections and sites, it looked like about half of them had 25 games, including Moon Patrol, listed for the Midway Treasures compilation, and the other half only had 24 games, with Moon Patrol having gone MIA.  Very interesting.  Just glad that I have it in that other set...

I'm a little pissed that this collection isn't on PC yet:

It's the same as the "Return of Arcade" collection I listed above, but with the very notable addition of Galaga - another one of my all-time faves...   >:(  I still play that game whenever I come across it, and it drives the wife nuts 'cause it causes about a 45 minute delay in wherever we're going!   :D  Just wish I could have it on PC too (and not in that single game set - I want it in a larger collection).

And Beth - you'd have no chance against me in those first two games there, though I'll give you the Marble Madness one!   :-*

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #19 on: December 2, 2003, 09:10 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned all of the Namco compilations.  It seems that they're a lot like Nintendo, in that they don't really want to have anything to do with releasing any classic comps on PC at all.  (That's where MAME--mentioned earlier by jokabofe--comes in handy.)

Galaga, Ms. Pac Man, and the original Star Wars game are my favorite video games of all-time.  They'll never get old or boring to me, ever.  

And they're just as good and fun-to-play as these newfangled, high-falutin' games that all the youngsters are playing nowadays!  

Flibbety-floo!   >:(
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #20 on: December 2, 2003, 09:14 PM »
Oh--just noticed, on that Intellivision Lives comp, that the XBox version doesn't come out until the middle of January, while the PS2 version is available now, according to EB Games.

So, my apologies to you guys, for the hundreds thousands of Christmas wishes I might have dashed out there.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: December 2, 2003, 09:28 PM »
I've also heard that the book called Game Over, by David Sheff, is a really good one.  It's supposed to detail Nintendo's rise to dominance in the mid-80's.

I've heard good things about that book as well, though aside from DK and DK Jr., Nintendo was never really my cup of tea...  That's around the time that I kinda retired from video games for a long stretch.  Ended with the last few truly classic arcade games from around 1984/85 (with some ColecoVision mixed in as well), and I didn't really get back into it until around 6 years ago with our first "real" PC, and even then I've only really delved into the Star Wars and Tomb Raider (and classic gaming) titles.  Due to my addictive nature, I'm afraid to test the gaming waters anything beyond that...   :-\

Sheff actually wrote a couple of those Nintendo themed books:

Game Over Press Start To Continue

Game over: How Nintendo Zapped an American Industry, Captured Your Dollars, and Enslaved Your Children

Game over: How Nintendo Conquered the World

Unless a couple of those titles are for the same book...  Regardless, Nintendo fans, and most classic video game fans, should definitely check those out...

So did anyone here used to play Scramble?  Haven't seen that one thrown into any of the current day game compilations yet.  Long overdue!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: December 2, 2003, 09:36 PM »
There is a Namco Comp for PS2 that I have that has Galaga, Dig Dug, Pac Man, Ms Pac Man and Pole Positions 1 and 2...good stuff on that

I also have some Atari ones (for PS1) that must be in the miles of posts above that I sort of skimmed through

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #23 on: December 2, 2003, 09:45 PM »
There is a Namco Comp for PS2 that I have that has Galaga, Dig Dug, Pac Man, Ms Pac Man and Pole Positions 1 and 2...good stuff on that

Yeah, the Namco Museum.  I've got that too.  What they need to is to take all of the different comps they made for the PSX, and put that all on one disc.  They released five discs here in the U.S. (and I think one more in Japan), all with five or six different classic games on them.  So that's still around 30 or so games that we need on a new package--including all of the Pac-family games like Super Pac Man, Pac-Land, Pac-Man Jr., etc.

I also have some Atari ones (for PS1) that must be in the miles of posts above that I sort of skimmed through

Yeah, this is a pretty long thread, huh?  Do you think I should take that list of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums I made, and post it here?   ???

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: December 2, 2003, 10:11 PM »
Nah no need to make it longer :-*

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #25 on: December 2, 2003, 10:24 PM »
Nah no need to make it longer :-*

Man, if I only had a nickel for every time I've heard that one. . .   :-\

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 3, 2003, 06:45 AM »
Pure nostaligia reading this thread.

It is posible to download most of these old games in the true arcdade version, by using a Mame emulator. The only problem is that your only allowed to use a mame clone, if you do owe the actual rom card. The rom clones can be downloaded for free on the net, but since it's illegal to play them, I will not post a link here.

-Henrik

Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 3, 2003, 09:53 AM »
I agree, a lot of nostalgia reading this thread :).  The Intellivision stuff really brings back some memories for me.  That is the gaming system I had when I was a kid, until I finally convinced my parents of getting me a Nintendo for Christmas about a year or two after it came out I think.  My dad had the intellivision system before I was old enough to play games, but I spent a lot of time growing up playing "Pro Football", "Pro Basketball", "Burger Time", "Pitfall", "Donkey Kong Junior", "Night Stalker", "Dungeons and Dragons", and many others.  The graphics were terrible compared to even the original NES, but those games sure were fun at the time.  I know I played the heck out of Donkey Kong Jr. back then :).

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 3, 2003, 07:39 PM »

I just want this for PC:

...and this...

Those screen shots bring back some good memories anyone?!   8)

those are both part of the mame i have... along with about 250 other arcade classics, including centipede and millipede, which i know someone was asking about.  ;D

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 4, 2003, 11:05 PM »
wow, talk about vintage gaming goodness, i was forced to buy a gamecube today because it came with a free disc that has 4 of the first zelda games on it free!! the disc has the original legend of zelda and zelda 2:the adventure of link from the original nes, and ocarina of time and mojora's mask from n64. i couldn't say no... i've been playing the original zelda for like 2 hours now. i forgot how awesome this game was!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 4, 2003, 11:19 PM by jokabofe »