Author Topic: Vintage gaming nerds, check this out:  (Read 12407 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Vintage gaming nerds, check this out:
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2003, 11:03 PM »
Gang, here's a link to a ton of Sega time-killers--some Flash, some Shockwave, some Java:

http://www.sega.com/vault/minigames/home_minigames.jhtml

Have fun.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2003, 07:27 AM »
I picked up the Midway and Activision complilations for the PS2 and played the Midway one extensively last night.  Some great old games on there, mainly Rampage and Gauntlet

Is that Activision one the one with 45 old school Atari games that plays 80s songs during the game?  Some games are Pitfall, River Raid, Stampede, etc.  I picked that one up last week for $10 at Target and have been playing it exclusively since then.  Brings back some memories, that's for sure.  Nothing beats playing a game for hours and not accomplishing anything ;)

I might have to check out that Midway one also.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2003, 12:13 PM »
I've been searching high and low for that dang Zelda Gamecube Bundle pack, once I see it I am going to buy it...especially since there isn't a new Nintendo coming out this year

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2003, 12:35 PM »
Subscribe to Nintendo Power and you get it for free.....
I don't think they sell it as a standalone.
Got Clones?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2003, 04:54 PM »
Just ordered my Zelda Collection disc/Nintendo Power subscription yesterday, actually.  $19.95 total.

There are three "official" ways to get that Zelda disc:

(If you don't have a GameCube yet):

1. Buy it in the GameCube bundle for $99.95

(If you already have a GameCube):

2. Get it "free" with the one-year Nintendo Power subscription for $19.95 (although I consider it more like I'm getting the magazine for free, and paying $19.95 for the game)  :)

3.  Buy two of a select number of (first party) Nintendo GameCube or Game Boy Advance games, and register them on Nintendo's website.  Offhand, I don't remember exactly what the games are, but I know that Mario Kart: Double Dash, and the latest Mario Party games for the 'Cube qualify, and the new Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the GBA is one as well.  There's a couple more--I think one is the new 1080 snowboarding game for the 'Cube, and I have no idea what the other one is.  Anyway, there's five games to choose from, and you have to buy any two of those five to qualify for the deal.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2004, 11:48 PM »
Anyone into the old Sega EA Sports Hockey Games?

Me and my buddy in college must have played 10,000 games of Hockey from 1993 until 1996, it truly is one of the greatest games of all time

SilverZ

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2004, 12:50 AM »
"I'll make Wayne Gretzky's head bleed for Superfan 99 over there."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2004, 10:48 AM »
Classic, my other favorite Classic NHL Movie moment

"What the hell are you doing ?"

"Finishing my game. "

"No, no, no. You promised me breakfast."

"Breakfast? Breakfast, schmrekfest. Look at the score. I'm only in the middle of the second and I'm winning 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene. Now, Hartford, the Whale? Hey, they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime."

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2004, 11:24 AM »
Just ordered my Zelda Collection disc/Nintendo Power subscription yesterday, actually.  $19.95 total.

There are three "official" ways to get that Zelda disc:

(If you don't have a GameCube yet):

1. Buy it in the GameCube bundle for $99.95

(If you already have a GameCube):

2. Get it "free" with the one-year Nintendo Power subscription for $19.95 (although I consider it more like I'm getting the magazine for free, and paying $19.95 for the game)  :)

3.  Buy two of a select number of (first party) Nintendo GameCube or Game Boy Advance games, and register them on Nintendo's website.  Offhand, I don't remember exactly what the games are, but I know that Mario Kart: Double Dash, and the latest Mario Party games for the 'Cube qualify, and the new Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the GBA is one as well.  There's a couple more--I think one is the new 1080 snowboarding game for the 'Cube, and I have no idea what the other one is.  Anyway, there's five games to choose from, and you have to buy any two of those five to qualify for the deal.

I checked the site and could not find this offer.  Is this offer no longer availalbe?

Billy, how is the games?

-Fish-

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Anyone into the old Sega EA Sports Hockey Games?

Me and my buddy in college must have played 10,000 games of Hockey from 1993 until 1996, it truly is one of the greatest games of all time

I dont particuraly like hockey, but I have to agree.  One timer...!  This game was fantastic, except for 95 & 96 when they took the fighting out.

-Fish-
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 12:57 PM by FishEyedLouie »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2004, 10:47 AM »
Heres a site we have been using at work. Not the best but still fun.

Play Your Favorite 1980s Games Online
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 10:48 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: May 7, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Anyone see the news that Jakks is making a SW version of their TV Games dealio.  I wonder if this means the Arcade version of SW????

JAKKS Pacific Signs TV Games License With Lucasfilm Ltd. For The Action-Adventure Epic Star Wars
MALIBU, Calif., May 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (Nasdaq: JAKK - News) announced today that the Company has signed a worldwide license with Lucasfilm Ltd. to produce TV Games(TM) products based on the blockbuster, Star Wars saga.

TV Games(TM) products are slated to be developed based on all films in the Star Wars saga -- A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and the upcoming Star Wars: Episode III.

TV Games(TM) products are plug and play gaming systems that contain multiple classic games in one single controller. All that is needed are batteries and a TV -- No videogame consoles and no gaming cartridges are required. Simply plug the TV Games(TM) unit into the A/V jacks of any standard television set, turn on and play. The lightweight, compact, all-inclusive controller, houses a combination of videogames with all of the hardware built right into the controller. This technology allows gaming fans to enjoy a number of videogames with just one single purchase.

"We are pleased to be working with Lucasfilm on such an exciting franchise. Star Wars is firmly entrenched in American pop culture while having worldwide appeal," said Stephen Berman, president and COO, JAKKS Pacific, Inc. "The incredible longevity of the brand fits perfectly with JAKKS' strategy of aligning the TV Games(TM) line with brands with staying power."

"We are very pleased that JAKKS Pacific has chosen Star Wars to expand its enormously popular TV Games(TM) line," said Howard Roffman, President, Lucas Licensing Ltd. "We hope that the Star Wars TV Games(TM) products will bring Star Wars gaming to an even broader audience of kids."

The Star Wars TV Games(TM) line-up is slated to launch in Fall 2005, and are expected to retail for approximately $20.00. For more information on JAKKS Pacific's TV Games(TM) line, please visit www.jakkstvgames.com.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #57 on: May 7, 2004, 01:31 PM »
Anyone see the news that Jakks is making a SW version of their TV Games dealio.  I wonder if this means the Arcade version of SW????

Well, if this thing is anything like the other "10-games-all-in-one-controller" things that are out now, I wouldn't expect the "Arcade version"--at least not the arcade version of the arcade version.  More like the Atari arcade version of the arcade version, if that makes sense.

These controller things are an interesting concept, but rudimentary at best, and unless things change by Fall 2005, there's no way in hell they'd be able to reproduce the arcade-arcade game in a little controller.

I think these will probably be all of the Parker Bros.-Star Wars games that were on the Atari 2600 in the early '80's:

• Star Wars: Jedi Arena (which is kind of supposed to be a two-player paddle game--not sure how this would work with one, joystick-style controller)
  • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (who doesn't love this one?)
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle
  • Atari 2600 version of the Arcade Game
And if we're extremely lucky:

• The Ewok Adventure (I think it's called)--infamous prototype 2600 game where you're the Glider Ewok, flying above the trees and rock-bombing AT-STs and Stormtroopers and stuff--I think.  If they could somehow include that one, sales for this thing would be huge, no matter how crappy of a game it turns out to be
There could be some other early-80's Star Wars games I'm forgetting here.

As far as the original Arcade Game--it is available at home, on the GameCube.  It was on the Rebel Strike: Rogue Squadron III bonus disc last year (and might be on the real game itself--I don't know), but I'll tell you what:  Even with the decent GameCube controller, the experience still pales in comparison to the real deal--with that sweet-ass, unique controller that the real arcade versions had.  My initial enthusiasm for finally being able to play that game at home was really dampened when I found out how different it played on the GameCube controller.

(And of course, it's available on the PC with MAME, as well--but like the GameCube version, it's just not the same.)

Now, if this all-in-one system could somehow duplicate the arcade controller--not to mention the specs of the game itself--then I'd defintely be all over it.  I really doubt it, but you never know.  I'd much rather spend $50 or $100 for something like that than trying to purchase either of the original arcade cabinets, which I have neither the money or the room for. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucasarts just needs to get with the program, and release a compilation disc in the same vein of the Midway and Activision compilations of recent years, and put every old Star Wars game, both for home and arcade on it.  Put it on the new systems for $30 each, and they'd sell tons.  For the greedy bastards they are, I'm wondering why they're ignoring this retro-gaming gold mine that's sitting right in front of them. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2004, 01:52 PM »
Well we have 3 Video Game threads here at least.  I'll let Colman figure out how to merge them...anyway

New Midway Disc Coming

A.P.B., Arch Rivals, Championship Sprint, Cyberball 2072, Gauntlet 2, Hard Drivin’, Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat III, NARC, Pit Fighter, Primal Rage, Rampage World Tour, Spy Hunter 2, Steel Talons, STUN Runner, Timber, Total Carnage, Wizard of Wor, Xenophobe, and Xybots.

ANd when exactly is the Mega Man disc coming out????

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Just remembered something looking at some WWII game previews

Anyone remember how redicoulously hard it was to land your jet on the Aircraft Carrier in the Nintendo Top Gun