Author Topic: Disney want to buy Hasbro?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Disney want to buy Hasbro?
« on: November 7, 2012, 10:04 AM »
There is a rumor going around that Disney is in talks to buy Hasbro. What do you think?

"All you base belong to us." - Disney

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=6dd4cbb8-d936-444a-8f2b-6869a1e26688
« Last Edit: November 7, 2012, 10:05 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Disney want to buy Hasbro?
« Reply #1 on: November 7, 2012, 10:16 AM »
If it means the end to our distribution woes and terrible case ratios I'm all for it!

I wouldn't mind a price decrease either
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 7, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: November 8, 2012, 02:36 AM »
I wouldn't think Transformers, GI Joe, and My Little Pony would be intellectual properties Disney would be interested in. Maybe not today, but someday after they've gobbled everything else up.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 8, 2012, 07:55 AM »
 ???
Any company would be interested in those properties!  While I would admit that the GI Joe brand is not being handled really well, MLP is doing well I think, and TF had 3 hugely successful films, (even if I think they blow) with a fourth in the works.  These are marquee brands.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 8, 2012, 08:42 AM »
Maybe they can figure out how to make a proper Joe film?

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 8, 2012, 09:56 AM »
I didn't loathe the first one, and this new one looked decent.  I really liked Renegades. 

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 8, 2012, 11:13 AM »
I'm as big a Joe fan as I am Star Wars and I thought the first movie was pretty much a mess.  The CGI looked terrible in parts and I still can't take the sinking ice. 

I've read the rumor about Disney and Hasbro, and the article saying it probably wasn't going to happen. 

My first though when I heard this is that Hasbro had no reason to sell.  The Transformers movies where huge box office hits, they have a new Joe film coming up that they're pretty excited about, they just partnered with Rovio for the new Star Wars Angry Birds tabletop games, the Hub has been doing better and their sales of girls toys were up last quarter.  The Avengers toy line seems to have done okay for them even if some of the other Marvel movies haven't, and they have a ****-ton of upcoming movies to do figures for. 

The announcement of new Star Wars movies, and the fact they just extended the contract for 2 years, seems like just the shot in the arm that franchise needed and Hasbro is poised to take huge advantage of that.  They also just opened the new Transformers 3D ride at Universal in CA and they're under construction on the new TF3D ride at Universal Orlando. 

That's a lot of potential for the company to do really great things for the foreseeable future.  So why, even if Disney was offering up a deal, would the shareholders be interested in selling?  The company isn't really in trouble and with the chance that they could grow seems like a good thing.

On the other hand, Disney owning a toy company that has strong IPs like Transformers and MLP, and is already licensed to produce toys for LFL and Marvel, would only increase their bottom line.  But the TF and GI Joe films are at Paramount so they'd have additional things to work out there.  Plus, Disney does a lot of business with Mattel and I can't even begin to know what kinds of legal problems there could be by Disney owning Hasbro, Mattel's biggest competitor.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 8, 2012, 12:28 PM »
I believe there are still ways that Disney could acquire Hasbro without the consent of the stockholders. It might not necessarily be by choice.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 8, 2012, 02:51 PM »
I think Disney would love to have the Hub channel's content for their Disney XD channel. It's all about grabbing the male 'tween to teenager market and keeping them until they have kids of their own.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours