Author Topic: Nothing sacred - Sylvia Plath Film - Romantic Comedy  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Nothing sacred - Sylvia Plath Film - Romantic Comedy
« on: December 4, 2003, 04:23 PM »
From CBS Oct. 16th
For a Hollywood A-list actress who was recently devastated by the death of her mentor-father, Gwyneth Paltrow seems to have made an odd therapeutic choice in her latest film.

It's the story of Sylvia Plath, the American writer whose stormy marriage to British poet Ted Hughes ended in her suicide. It's been called the most tragic literary love story of the past century. But, it is not a movie you would expect a grief-stricken actress to be drawn to.

"Actually, it turned out to be the right thing to do at the time because as I was suffering so much in my personal life and [Plath] was suffering so much," Paltrow explains. "There was an incredible overlap of feeling and I think I had access to her in ways that I wouldn't have had."

The romance wasn't all suffering, at least not in the early stages when Plath, as an American Fulbright scholar in 1950s Britain, met Hughes. But the suffering — real or imagined — and death is what Plath is all about in the end.

Paltrow says Plath's suffering helped her understand the emotional pain she was experiencing after losing her father, television creator Bruce Paltrow.

The actress had signed onto the film before her father died and decided to honor her obligation. She had some family help in the making of the movie. Her mother, Blythe Danner, plays her mother.

"It was so nice being with her and having her around it was just very comforting," Paltrow says.

But the movie may not be comforting for fans of Plath. Her account of her life in her best-seller, "The Bell Jar," and her suicide at just 30 years old, blamed by many on the philandering of her husband, led to her becoming a poster woman for feminism. But anyone looking for a good girls-bad guys approach in "Sylvia" will be disappointed.

"[In the movie], no one is vilified, no one is held up as the monster and the victim because that's not how it works in life," Paltrow says. "I don't think she is blameless in the scenario."

Sylvia may or may not turn out to have broad commercial appeal, but being back in cinematic focus inevitably puts Paltrow back in gossip column, too.

"I really made an effort to go underground and not to go to any events and really kind of drop out," she says. "But, unfortunately, our culture is totally celebrity obsessed, which is too bad because it is such a waste of time."

Paltrow, who has had well documented relationships in the past, seems to be in the middle of another one. She is reportedly linked with Coldplay's front man Chris Martin. But, she won't let her love life read like an open book.

© MMIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved

The Sylvia Website : http://www.sylviamovie.com/

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 4, 2003, 04:28 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Nothing sacred - Sylvia Plath Film - Romantic Comedy
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2003, 04:31 PM »
Sylvia?

Yes, Mickey?

How do you call your loverboy?

"Come here, loverboy!"

And if he doesn't answer?

"Oh, loverboy?"

And if he STILL doesn't answer?

I simply say, "Bay-bay, ohhh bay-bay, my sweet bay-bay, you're the one."

By the way, Coldplay gonna be Gwyneth's baby daddy.

Very exciting news.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2003, 04:40 PM »
Beat me before I could reply to myself, :), but this movie has already been released (but not to many theatres), I was wondering if any of you guys saw it?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2003, 04:41 PM »
Beat me before I could reply to myself, :)

Shall I delete, and re-post?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2003, 04:43 PM »
Don't bother, doesn't matter.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2003, 04:43 PM »

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 8, 2003, 01:58 PM »
Gwyneth Paltrow as Sylvia Plath? Travesty.

Good day.
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2003, 02:13 PM »
Gwyneth Paltrow as Sylvia Plath? Travesty.

Good day.
You post for the first time in weeks and fail to acknowledge me in any way? Travesty

Good Day. :'(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2003, 05:22 PM »
You post for the first time in weeks and fail to acknowledge me in any way? Travesty

Good Day. :'(

Yeah, me too!  Where's the love from our old pal Carrie?!?   :'(

Don't you remember how Scott and I were going to do that whole mud wrestling thing in our thongs just for you?   :-*

...and thanks Matt.  Got the damned Dirty Dancing flick stuck in my noggin now.  Just great.   >:(  (speaking of which, Collectors Edition out tomorrow!   :P)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2003, 05:37 PM »
Don't you remember how Scott and I were going to do that whole mud wrestling thing in our thongs just for you?   :-*

Now you know why you were exempt from The MetroSexual Quiz.  

...and thanks Matt.  Got the damned Dirty Dancing flick stuck in my noggin now.  Just great.   >:(  (speaking of which, Collectors Edition out tomorrow!   :P)

Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

(Sylvia is coming out on DVD on February 10th!  Rejoice!)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 12:43 PM »
I don't remember "mud wrestling" or "thongs" ever being mentioned.

I do remember this:

OCB (white wife beater) connects with JediMAC's chin, 8 second Knockout