Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica/Caprica (Potential Spoilers)  (Read 103586 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: Battlestar Galactica...who's watching?
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2006, 01:04 PM »
Hmm...not sure I agree with the idea of Galctica putting the SW effects to shame.  While it was a knockout as far as TV goes, what made it special was our interest in the fates of the characters, and the pent up agression towrads the toasters.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2006, 02:14 PM »
Last nights episode was incredible.  I agree that the tactics used by Adama were brilliant.  One the coolest ideas I've seen used in a sci fi/space show or movie.

I'm glad they cleared up the issue with Starbuck's kid.  The age didn't calculate when compared to Boomers baby so I'm glad we got an explanation for it.

IMO this show just keeps getting better.  The way Tigh handled his wife, the outcome with Starbuck and Leoben and the kid, Adama and Apollo with the rescue...just good TV and good sci fi.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2006, 06:28 PM »
Yeah, that was a great ep. I just am not patient to wait another week to watch the next episode.

My take is that the cylons truly want to be loved. Simple, but it's at the core of what makes us human....

Speedermike, that's an interesting take on the Cylons. I just kind of wonder if they're incompatible with their own kind in some ways... but why would they need to when there are several copies of them about, since they can't reproduce amongst themselves. Umm, weird talk.

As for the episode... SPOILERS BELOW

Glad they clarified Kacey, too. I knew that it had to be a ploy for Leoban to get Starbuck to love him and I know it wouldn't work... she just fell in love with a kid she believed was hers.

The whole Ellen Tigh deal was surprising in someways. I understood that a lot of the colonists would not forgive her for her betrayal, and I understood why Anders said it be better if Saul resolved the matter himself. But it was amazing how well they wrote that final scene between Ellen and he... quite powerful and sad. Especially when Tigh meets Bill Adama again on the Galactica and how he regrets that he wasn't able to bring everyone back and we know about whom he's talking.

Now, the whole rescue was cool, too. We knew Lee would return and we knew at somepoint that the Pegasus would be history, but wow! that was awesome... ramming a Basestar and taking out another with debris!!

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2006, 07:18 PM »
SPOILERS CONTINUED...Watching Starbuck kill Leoban again is such a treat. You would think that if you had been killed five times by the same person already that hmm maybe learn from your mistakes? Nope gutted again... At least they show that Cylons not only appear human but developed a common human trait....STUPIDITY.

Pleased? Last nights episode rocked!
Yes....That it did! (Your right...pleased was way too mild.)

Now, the whole rescue was cool, too. We knew Lee would return and we knew at somepoint that the Pegasus would be history, but wow! that was awesome... ramming a Basestar and taking out another with debris!!
I had been dreading its eventual demise, but I was figuring it would be due to some sabotage or some less glorious demise. When it was destroyed in battle taking out two Basestars I felt much better about it. Like a warrior dying in the glory of battle instead of in bed. (The debris breifly turning in space to show the name Pegasus just before smashing the other Basestar was really cool.)

Launching fighters from a ship engulfed in flames in a high atmosphere fall... (I would have expected that if there had ever been a Battletech movie...) I think I watched that scene four times.
The in-atmosphere jump away thunder-boom from the sudden vaccuum of that much Battlestar suddenly disappearing was really cool, though I wonder if it shouldnt have been much more devastating...

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 07:20 PM by Straxus »
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2006, 09:44 PM »
That was some of the best scifi Tv EVER
I seriously hope Lucas is taking notes on how to do things.
Jumping the Galactica into the atmosphere was an outstanding move and launching fighters while dropping like that was so very cool.
The shots of the vipers flying in the atmosphere was extremely well done, and I agree those shots were way better than the ones of ships flying in atmosphere in the last 2 starwars films.
The death of the Pegasus was awesome , she went out in a true blaze of glory, I never really got a good sense of scale of the ships because they were never that close together and I always figured the basestar was huge, but they seemed almost small when pegasus rammed them.
I'm so very very glad I gave this series the time it deserved and didnt write it off from the get go.
Long live BSG
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2006, 10:23 PM »
Anyone know if there are going to be any "catch up" marathons of season 3? I only recently got Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD (will finish Season 2 tomorrow), but I've missed all of Season 3 so far, and dont want to jump in 5 episodes late.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2006, 11:02 PM »
Anyone know if there are going to be any "catch up" marathons of season 3? I only recently got Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD (will finish Season 2 tomorrow), but I've missed all of Season 3 so far, and dont want to jump in 5 episodes late.

If you've got Comcast all the Season 3 epiosdes are On Demand. I'd think they do some sort of marathon over the Christmas break, but I haven't heard any concrete plans yet.
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2006, 11:17 PM »
Hmm...not sure I agree with the idea of Galctica putting the SW effects to shame.  While it was a knockout as far as TV goes, what made it special was our interest in the fates of the characters, and the pent up agression towrads the toasters.

Agreed about the story. The brilliant tapestry of the storytelling of BG makes everything work better, but you do have to admit, after TPM, ILM did nothing new or breathtaking with the SW FX. In fact, that shot of Galactica getting pummeled with the camera pulling away and then Pegasus' barrage entering frame was a better FX sequence than any in SW film since the reveal of the Executor in ESB. If there is one better, name it.

The only sequence that came remotely close was the opening of ROTS, but that ultimately turned out to be a mess in every respect.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 11:20 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2006, 12:06 PM »

If you've got Comcast all the Season 3 epiosdes are On Demand. I'd think they do some sort of marathon over the Christmas break, but I haven't heard any concrete plans yet.

Really?! Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check it out!!  ;D

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2006, 12:19 PM »

Agreed about the story. The brilliant tapestry of the storytelling of BG makes everything work better, but you do have to admit, after TPM, ILM did nothing new or breathtaking with the SW FX. In fact, that shot of Galactica getting pummeled with the camera pulling away and then Pegasus' barrage entering frame was a better FX sequence than any in SW film since the reveal of the Executor in ESB. If there is one better, name it.

The only sequence that came remotely close was the opening of ROTS, but that ultimately turned out to be a mess in every respect.

Agreed there. That was an awesome shot of Pegasus coming in to save the day. RotS did a cool bit with Cruiser, but then it was too much and distracting from the plot (let's take a couple seconds to pan from our heroes to show debris flying from one ship into another and then back to the heros... it was all about showing the explosions then advancing the plot... same with the buzz droids)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2006, 12:41 PM »
I was out of town for my sister's wedding so I didn't get to see the new episode until today (Thank you Tivo!).

All I can say is WOW! HOLY POOP ON A STICK!  That episode was awesome!  This show yet again not only doesn't disappoint, but exceeds all my expectations!

One thing that hasn't been touched on too much in this thread is that after so many downloads, it hurts the cylons.  That's why Hera is so important.  It may be the only way the cylons can survive long term.

I'm anxious to see next week's episode, there are still so many unanswered questions!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2006, 03:50 PM »
That was a great episode. I can so see Balter becoming a '70s version Baltar now (working actively with the Cylons) but I think he will eventually turn back around and save the day in a big way in the future.

I liked the part when Kacey's mom shows up and thanks Starbuck for finding her. The look on Starbuck's face was priceless. I could almost hear Nelson from the Simpsons go "HA! HA!"

This show makes me wonder. Will the Star Wars TV show be realistic feeling and gritty with a lot of drama like the new BSG or will it be like the movies (cheap laughs, fast action and bad dialog)?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:52 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2006, 04:28 PM »
That episode was ******* amazing. I was literally on the edge of my seat for the whole hour. So much happened in just that one hour, and that's one of the things I love about this show. If any of you watch the Sopranos, you'll know that you can watch a whole season and nothing happens...at all. Not so with Battlestar Galactica. This show is tops. Truly tops.

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Yah, then you wait three years for a new season that does absolutely nothing.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2006, 12:38 PM »
As always, politically smart. Tackles issues from both ends and chooses the toughest, probably best resolution.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."