Author Topic: Vintage Style Figures from Hasbro???  (Read 10688 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Vintage Style Figures from Hasbro???
« on: December 15, 2003, 10:08 AM »
A rumor popped up in the Rebelscum forums that said Hasbro has plans to release Vintage Style figures in 2004. The plans for which are still sketchy however...could be rereleases ala the MOTU figures. Could be new never before done figures sculpted in a vintage style ala Tarkin, Cantina Band Member. Or it might be Prequel figures again sculpted in a vintage style. Sounds like a cool idea and we'll keep you posted if more news comes down the pipe.

http://forums.rebelscum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011606

Thoughts???

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Style Figures from Hasbro???
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 10:41 AM »
Personally I would not mind them if they are Tarkin, Cantina Band Member, Vader (removeable helmet).  Stuff us old turds did not get when we were wee ones.  Or I could live with PT figures as well.   If it's going to be figures that were already released back in the day all over again then I don't care for it.  

I am sure it will create a hornet's nest either way if they are released.  

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 10:41 AM »
that would be awesome.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 12:13 PM »
I agree, if it's just rereleased figures from 77-85, big deal.  I've got them, and most people interseted in Vintage have them.  But of Hasbro makes new vinatge style sculpts of OT or PT figures, I'll be in SW heaven.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 02:51 PM »
The GH Swami chimes in...

Swami Sez: What's Old Is New Again
12/15/2003 10:53:03 AM | Reported by Mike

Don't call it a comeback. The Ghost of Kenner Past has visited our Galactic Swami and reveals some terrific news. Although only a few details are available at this time, Swami sez that along with the Original Trilogy DVD release next year, older fans will be able to rekindle some fond memories from their childhood toy chest.

Hasbro is planning on releasing a special collector edition run of Vintage style action figures in conjunction with the highly anticipated release of the Holy Trilogy DVD release in 2004. While based on figures from that era, these new versions will sport additional articulation and will come at a much higher pricepoint. We can expect some sort of retro style packaging as well.

That's all Swami has on these vintage re-issues for now. But if the success of Mattel's classic He-Man reissues are any indication, these neo-vintage figures should be hot.

Remember that nothing is confirmed until it comes from the mouth of Hasbro, but Swami will definitely have more news in the coming months!

Believe in The Power Of The Swami!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 03:13 PM »
So confused...

Brain hurting.

Uh.  Until I see these I don't know what to think.

They could be cool-retro swag, OR they could be straight vintage re-hash.

Hmmm... interesting.

For now, I'll just wait and see befor eI bash them.

Jeff

ps.
I'd have to agree w/OCB's comments from another site.  Those Classic 4-packs in 95/96 sat around here (MN) for a LONG time.  I remember seeing them in the clearance bin amongst the Xizors and Snoovas...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 04:07 PM »
And I too would agree that the old 4-packs were pants and did NOT sell well.  They were marked down here as I recall even.  TRU takes its dear sweet time to do markdowns though, so it's no small thing to hear they cut the prices on that set.

I just don't see the mass interest in these that people think they may have...  

I personally would only have a SLIGHT interest in vintage-esque characters that weren't made in the vintage line.  A Grand Moff Tarkin for example, or Rebel Fleet Trooper...  Simple straight re-releasing vintage figures as they once were is of absolutely zero interest to me though.  It cheapens the whole idea of vintage collecting to me.  It also is catering to what I consider a slightly "lazy" demographic who want instant vintage gratification whereas others have been piecing collections together for years, and take pride in that.  

I hope this isn't too much of a big deal really, and that it just passes by us and we can forget about it.  I hate seeing resources go into things such as this when they could be going into the main modern lines where they're much more needed.  

If they'd perfected modern figures and were cranking out their 100% best quality on EVERY figure, I'd not care as much, but right now I think this is just one more thing to detract attention from the modern line and it's really unnecessary as well as rather uninteresting to me personally.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 04:10 PM »
Personally, I'm a bit peeved at the snobbish attitude displayed by "vintage" collectors :D

I'm interested, I think having 12 backs or something like that would be neat, I'm not sure how I would display them.

I also think in the right quantities, these would sell just fine

I'd be interested in vintage style "new" figures as well...wait and see is all we can do I guess :-*

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 06:06 PM »
Yeah, I have to recant on what I said.  I would be interested mainly to have the vintage cards if nothing else.  

Offline Valtar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Impressive... Most Impressive.
    • View Profile
    • Valtarz Customz 'n' Artz
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 06:13 PM »
Well, I collect all the lines but I mostly collect Loose Figures as the Vintage line goes the main reason I posted this remark at RS :
If this is true... I hope it's not but if it is, bet your *** I will be sending Hasbro a letter Cursing them.

Its not Right what they did to MOTU and if they do it to the Vintage Line I think I will Quit collectiong SW toys.

Is because I don't want to buy a Figure on E-bay thinking it is a Vintage and get it in the mail look it over and it be a new one...  And yes I can see people doing this as I have also alot of sellers have a statment in there auction saying ALL SALES FINAL and then you just get ripped.  Ok befor anyone gets offended Im a seller as well as a buyer.  I just forsee alot of none collecters comeing out of the woodwork and try and pull one over on the collecting community.

Posted by: OCB

Personally, I'm a bit peeved at the snobbish attitude displayed by "vintage" collectors

My comments probley may not of been the proper thing to say,  but as a Loose collector on Vintage Items this concerns me.  I don't want to be had by someone with a brite idea on E-bay.  I'm sorry that OCB you feel that Vintage collectors are being snobbish about it,  Im sure everyone whom said something has there own reasons... Maybe you and others will understand why I feel the way I do now.  I don't say those things to be snobbish,  I say it for the future of Vintage collecting, and Im sorry if you or anyone else found my View as wrong it's just how I feel about it.   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2003, 06:15 PM »
Some of the reaction at Scum's vintage section is a bit snobbish...  The reactions to the announcement aren't the problem so much as the reactions of people who simply don't want to see "outsiders" enter their beloved vintage section.

They have a # there who seem to do nothing but look down on customizers and modern collectors (-Dane- in particular, whoever he is), and that's not cool.  

Elitism in a hobby of nothing but "geeks & dorks" is like saying you're the best urinal cake in the entire men's room.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 07:07 PM »
This is indeed an interesting development, with opinions all over the board regarding it...

I'm not interested at all in seeing re-releases (carded or loose) of any of the previous vintage figures, especially if they wind up as repros like that TRU 4-pack from about 5 years ago...  Didn't sell well at all, not to mention some of the more obvious concerns that people are expressing about folks who would try to pass these off as the "real thing".  I don't want to see any of the current vintage market materially altered by some new influx of repro vintage figures into the market.

Loose original vintage figures being offered is fine though, as in the recent Amazon sales.  Those are legitimate vintage figures, so I'm cool with that.  I don't want to see more articulated versions of the prior vintage figures though.  That blows their whole charm when you start messing with them with some of the more advanced figure making technology of today.

But I probably would be somewhat interested if Hasbro went and filled in a lot of Kenner's vintage line's holes, with vintage styled figures the likes of Tarkin, RFT, Slave Leia, RH Vader, Oola, Dagobah Luke, Stormtrooper Han, Garindan, etc...  That would be kinda cool I think.  Even if it does render obsolete some of the old vintage customs of those respective figures that I paid a rather pretty penny for back in the day...

I'm not at all excited about the idea of releasing vintage style Prequel figures though.  FORGET THAT CRAP.  Stick to the OT, if anything.  But if these are being released in conjunction with the OT DVDs, I'd have to guess that Hasbro's going to be sticking with the OT characters here.  Hopefully.

Whatever it is that comes from this announcement, it'll indeed be an interesting, if not controversial, twist to our current collections, I'm sure...

So, MisterPL, perhaps your vintage styled figure idea that we recently discussed, will be coming to fruition even sooner that you expected...  Good call!   ;)  Though I think you were mostly intimating the Prequel characters though, if I recall correctly...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 08:34 PM »
This will certainly be interesting, however it turns out.  Like many others, I will only be interested if it's vintage style figs Kenner never did, like the aforementioned Tarkin, Slave Leia, Stormtrooper Han et al.  I'd also be hip to PT vintage style figs (Maul and Padme!) but that's it.  No re-issues, and no re-issues with added articulation.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 09:06 PM »
It wasn't directed at you Valtar at all...it was like Jesse said.  A backlash at the "modern collectors" don't belong in the Vintage section posting about modern reporductions of modern figures

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 09:24 PM »
Am I alone in finding it Ironic that Hasbro's been so laxidasical in making competitive levels of articulation in their modern line, and yet they'd possibly even consider improving the articulation in these vintage-esque guys?

I mean, a line that for all intents and purposes won't have any following from kids would have "improved articulation" which is something kids seem to like in their toys (And me too, but some of the best selling toy lines are heavily articulated).  I just find that odd, and that's one of the things I find irritating about it.

If they have the time/resources/desire to improve figures that are 20+ years old, why aren't they improving all figures in their modern line and drawing in more attention to it through better product?  

I for one would much rather have a Hoth Rebel Soldier from Saga who could hold his rifle and be posed standing at attention or running into combat, rather than a Vintage Hoth soldier who bends at the knees and elbows...  I just find that ironic and fairly backwards thinking on Hasbro's part.

Oh well, I'm off to play with my new Super Articulated Clone some more.  He's out whipping off my vintage figures right now.