Author Topic: Christmas Bonuses  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Christmas Bonuses
« on: December 23, 2003, 01:32 AM »
I just got my Christmas bonus today. It consisted of half a week's pay and a smoked turkey. While my mother has plans for the turkey, I have no idea what to do with the money. (Yeah, like I'm really gonna save it.)

There's some Buffy figures I have my eye on, but I don't know. Those'll piss it away faster than a strip club.

Help?

(I'm dead sick with the flu, so please play along.) ;)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Christmas Bonuses
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 08:45 AM »
My cousin got a lovely letter saying "We've done away with X-Mas bonuses to our individual employees, and instead we've donated $ to a charity in our employees' names for the holidays".

Anyone else have a flashback of Randy Quaid emptying his "crapper" into a sewage system, then running off in a blue leisure suit to kidnap Clark Griswald's boss and put a bow on him so Clark could kick his rear?  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 09:29 AM »
My cousin got a lovely letter saying "We've done away with X-Mas bonuses to our individual employees, and instead we've donated $ to a charity in our employees' names for the holidays".

For some reason that reminded me of the Seinfeld episodes where George gives out the cards "a donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund."  This will be the 5th Christmas that I have worked for the company I am with, and total, over all five years, we have received one $5 gift certificate to a local restaurant.  5 years=$5 worth of food....yeah, our company is cheap :).  But, I guess things could be worse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 09:52 AM »
My bonus depends on the companies year.  We are really small, and if there is a profit we usually get around a weeks pay plus a $500 gift certificate to a store (Home Depot, Sporting Goods etc)  Some years we only get the certificate.  It's nice to get a bonus but I always tell my wife not to depend on it, who knows when the boss will institute the Jelly of the Month of Human Fund approach.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 10:10 AM »
You'll all be pleased to know the government doesn't waste your tax dollars on something as frivolous as a "bonus".  No sir, 8 years in government and my bonus is to be able to leave for home at 3:30 tomorrow.  Yippee.  

(this is not to say I think the goobermint should give out bonuses, it should not)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 10:22 AM »
I've been with my company for 4 Christmases now and the only bonus I got was my first year there - a week's pay.  That was great.

The next two years, nothing, although they did say that the annual Christmas party would be your bonus.  That's great for the people who chose to go, but what about those who don't go, for whatever reason?

This year, we were given an extra day off to take sometime around the holidays.  Its not a lot, but appreciated.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 10:24 AM »
Government, bonus! Not gonna happen. Not in my 23 years with them & never will. Cheapos! Wow, you get to go home early Brent. Isn't that nice.  ::)

I don't get to go home early with the shift I work, unless I take vacation time.  ;D Speaking of... :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 10:43 AM »
I'd be willing to give it to people but the rest of the country probably wouldn't.   Private buisenesses have the ability to share profits they make during the year while the government would be taking tax money and so there's the big catch.  I've thought about trying to get a job locally or nationally with the EPA or OSHA but there is so many things you give up by making the switch that I have always been reluctant to do so (there are some great advantages in public work though too).  I would be miffed however if your supervisor or boss didn't get you something though for all of the work you did for them in the year

I thought of you mosnab when I saw this over at Yahoo this morning, maybe you should send it up the line as a hint that prisoners get more than you do

Inmates get $5 and Fruit for Christmas

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2003, 10:47 AM »
We used to get bonuses at my job but that has been eliminated this year. In the past it was $100 dollars plus a gift certificate to a mall for $20 per year worked here.
 We do get 1 extra day off this year so at least I don't have to show up the friday after Xmas
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 11:02 AM »
I thought of you mosnab when I saw this over at Yahoo this morning, maybe you should send it up the line as a hint that prisoners get more than you do

Inmates get $5 and Fruit for Christmas

Thanks for that link Scott, that is too funny.  I had to pass that along to some of my co-workers. :D

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2003, 12:59 PM »
My bonus:  

"Congratulations, feel free to help yourself to any of your former co-worker's office supplies...  They don't need them now that they are laid off, and you will probably need them anyway as you are now doing three jobs at the cost of one employee"

Tomorrow I get to leave at 5, instead of 6PM Wohoo!!  But don't worry you'll make it up by working from 8Am to 6PM on Boxing day!

Unfortunately I am serious.....   :-[

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 02:35 PM »
Boy, I guess I've been extremely fortunate over the past 6 years...  My company has usually given out very large bonuses at year's end.  The bonus is generally indicative of the overtime the recipient has put in over the course of the year, which in my case is usually a LOT.  It's tough to have to wait 'til the end of the year every year to see if all the OT was worth it, but so far it has been, so I keep plugging away...

But this year, the music industry, and therefore our company, has been been hit hard, and we actually had to lay off a quarter of our staff just a couple months ago.  So I think both our bonuses and our raises are going to be down significantly next week, if we get them at all.   :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 12:19 AM »
We were supposed to have a company-wide Christmas party this year (that'd have been a hoot) but the decision came down to donate the $10,000 it would cost for that to a cancer research fund. It was fine with me; I got my bonus, gainsharing check, and paycheck this week. (We have a gainsharing program that typically pays out $50-$100 every month.)

Plus, I only work four hours tomorrow and I have Friday off. Merry Christmas to me. ;D Sorry to hear about some of you guys, especially sp00ky.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2003, 11:53 PM »
We got gift certificates this year for $50.00 that has to be spent at the store I work at.  But, with all honesty, I was extremely suprised to get one.  We lost all our employee benefits a few months ago including health insurance, vacation pay, etc.  So, the boss probably figured he should do something to keep the rest of us working there for a bit longer.  I was happy with the extra bonus.  

Offline OrionSlaveLotion

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2003, 01:30 AM »
‘Somebody mention a strip club? Spend it on that Pancho Pico! Holy cows, I wonder- r’ strip clubs even open on X-Mas eve?? Toronto strip clubs are high quality; let me tell yah, one even served real nice fettuccini…and Sunset Thomas to boot-- buckle your senses straight into right gear…godamn.