Author Topic: Endor Wave  (Read 24395 times)

Offline BigBadBothan

• Youngling
  • Poodoo!
    • View Profile
Endor Wave
« on: December 24, 2003, 02:22 PM »
This in straight from Rebelscm.com:

Rebelscum reader 'Celticsfan' informs us that Star Wars Insider magazine has details of new upcoming toys for 2004. A new Battle of Endor-themed wave is planned including Han Solo in AT-ST Driver gear (shown in the magazine,) General Crix Madine, and General Lando Calrissian. Toys R Us exclusive toys include Red Leader's X-Wing Fighter (also shown) and several new multipacks like the "Skirmish at Carkoon" set we previously reported on. Fans of the Screen Scene Jedi Council sets will be pleased to know that more are on the way, incuding a center floor section. Looks for the first new set to include Ki-Adi-Mundi, Yoda, and Qui-Gon Jinn.

I'm happy about the Han and Madine, but I really don't care for another Lando. And what about the Ewoks, are they still on their way, or are they gone?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 10:45 AM by OCB »
"Why have the six-pack when you can have the whole keg"? -Brian

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Endor Wave Official
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 02:51 PM »
I am interested in seeing what they come up with for the Lando.  That POTF2 version is strange with the wide stance.  I am thinking they can come up with a nicer version.  I hope the Ewoks are going to come.  We'll see.  

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 07:51 PM »
Eegads! GH has a pic up of Han AT-ST Disguise. It's an Imperial officer repaint with a gigantic Han head popped on it. The plus is the helmet appears to be new, and includes a chinstrap.

I'm caught in the middle on this one. Part of me is happy we're getting obscure versions of core characters, the other is pissed that its such a low-effort kit bash. I think my main problem (and this was with the original officer figure) is the not-too-poseable arms. From the start they should have made straight arm variants for the figure, since the sockets at the elbows are so easy to pop off.

We're definitely in POTJ2 era now. Some of the stuff is drop-dead amazing, the other stuff is clever retooling/repaints. I'll live with this I guess. :)

J

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 09:02 PM »
It's passable as a figure, and Hasbro deserves credit for finding ways to keep core characters fresh, but he doesn't do it for me.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 09:29 PM »
I think this figure looks pretty good, it's always nice to get a ROTJ Han that isn't stuck in some stupid action-pose. If this guy has a removable helmet I may buy him, but otherwise I don't plan to. I wonder what kind of acces. this will come with... Probably just a blaster.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 10:09 AM »
I actually think that looks pretty good!  You can pretend it's a new AT-ST Driver or Han.  I was expecting to see the POTF2 AT-ST driver instead with no arm articulation.  I think I will get this version.  I never expected them to actually make this to begin with.  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 11:41 AM »
I'm actually somewhat excited to get the figure because it's a prime army building/customizing (Head swaps) opportunity for me.

I've been a proponent for a new AT-ST pilot for a long time and this Han makes a fairly decent looking generic pilot.  Head swaps will abound though for me, as the helmet is indeed removable (with chin strap, whippee!!!), which rocks.

He's partly rehashed from the Imp. Officer it seems, but has a new left arm (at least) and what appears to possibly be new legs as well, though they're not articulated any differently.  They do appear to be less spread apart than the POTJ officer's were.  

The right arm appears rehashed, as does the body.  

It would've been nice if Hasbro included the TIE pilot legs from the pack-in Bomber pilot, as they do fit the Officer sculpt perfectly and are articulated at the one extra point at the knees.  

The helmet looks great...  It's big, as are the goggles, but as you can see in this photo below, the helmet's supposed to be really big.  They nailed it as far as I'm concerned (Though the chinstrap's white instead of black, not a biggie to me though).

So, all in all it's not a shabby looking figure at all I don't think...  High on anyone's list?  Not likely...  Necessary?  Not really...  But decent and good fodder/army building?  Yeah, it's ok.

I still want an Endor Han with a removable trench coat though, and neutral pose, and decent articulation, and working holster...  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 12:06 PM »
You pretty much nailed it for me too JJ, I'll buy a few of these because it is an awesome AT-ST pilot...it makes for a good figure.  I still want an apology Han figure and will wait a few years for one.  If it doesn't come then this figure will make me a little madder because it represents what might have been.

Can't wait to see the rest of 2004...POTJ2 baby! I am sooooo pumped for what they last 7 waves for 2004...more OT figures, some much needed PT figures, and hopefully the Episode III sneak peaks...should be great. I just hope beyond hope a repeat of 2002 is not in store where they throw everything out the window for trash

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 02:18 PM »
Although I am happy that there is a "new" Han being released, since he's my favorite character, I am in the boat with those of you who would much rather have had an "ultimate-ish" Endor Han.  I have both the buff POTF2 Han, and the craptastic action feature version from Saga, and neither one is very impressive to me.  When we first heard rumor of an Endor Han, I was really hoping it was a regular version of him, articulated well, with working holster and removable trenchcoat.  Hopefully this figure will still come eventually though, maybe there is another Endor wave with all the Ewok rumors we have heard, we'll see I guess.  I'm still happy to get this figure though, like many have said, its good for those who customize as well.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 03:30 PM »
I just got my FC mag and was flipping through...  Insider had a lot of "new" images this go-round, but nothing we've not seen before aside from Red 1, and the AT-ST Han.

The pics of the other figures are really clear though, and I have to say that Gold Leader and the TIE Pilot are 20x as great as I thought before...  Gold Leader appers to have some extra articulation in one arm at least...  The TIE Pilot's bordering on "super" articulation.  Why, I do not know, but he does sport a lot of joints so far including ball/socket knees.  Good for him!

Now if they'll only make everyone else that great! :)  Fleet Trooper, Hoth Reb. Trooper, Scouttrooper, Hoth Stormtrooper, and regular Stormtrooper, I'm looking at all of you!  :)  Oh and Endor Rebels too dangit!

But anyway the Red Leader images aren't anything to write home about.  The pilot's crammed into the ship and it's a distant shot so what he's exactly looking like is impossible to tell by these images.  Almost looks like a bigger (removable) style helmet, but after those possible prototype images leaked that Scott posted a while ago, I'm not gonna hold my breath for a decent pack-in with that fighter.

Oh, and the socket for an astro is empty, so no word there either though I'm wagering no R5 for him.  Maybe carded someday, or we can hope at least.

The clear images of all the other upcoming Jabba's Palace and Tatooine figures look great though.  The articulation on some of those figures is far beyond Hasbro's norm...  Now if they'd only keep this up all the time, and for all figures.  

Lando Skiff's still gotta be one of my favorites just in images so far.  WOW!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2003, 03:42 PM »
I just got my Insider this afternoon as well, and there really are some great images posted in there of some of the upcoming figures.  Like Jesse James said, not too much new really other than the Han and the Red 1.  They did confirm the Target glasses in there, and have a picture of the Obi-Wan glass with figure that was posted a little while back.  It does say the glasses are plastic, in case anyone was wondering.  Looking at the pictures again of these previously announced figures, 2004 really looks to be a banner year for collecting, at least in my opinion.  Sculpts look great, articulation is improved as a whole, and lots of OT figures.  Now if we are all able to find them in stores, all will be right with the universe  ;).

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2004, 06:11 PM »
any release date??
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 12:35 PM by OCB »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 12:31 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Scott, its nice to get a chance to see pics of both Lando and Madine.  I notice Hasbro isn't giving the little line at the end "come back next month to see pics of the next wave....", like they used to :).  Also, just noticed...with the exception of the wrist/hand part, don't Lando's and Madine's right arms look a lot the same?  Not that I am complaining, just an observation.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 12:33 PM by mosnab »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 12:38 PM »
You're right Mosnab--probably quite a bit of parts-sharing going on between those two figures (notice Lando's shoulder holster looks removable, making the torsos identical as well.) I'm not sure how well they pulled off the holster, otherwise everyhting looks great.

(Now, who wants to lay odds Lando or Madine won't ship with the assortment initally, a la Dignitary #2 or Ack-Med Beq?)