Author Topic: The Great 2004 collectors challenge  (Read 45516 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
The Great 2004 collectors challenge
« on: December 30, 2003, 11:58 AM »
What, you ask, it that?  

Well, out of curiosity I want to know what I (and others) spend in a year on toys.  If you wish to participate and perhaps frighten the hell out of yourself, please feel free to join in.  If not, no worries.  

Here's the deal:
Keep track of every penny you spend starting on January 1st.  
-Anything that is in transit does not count.  
-If you've paid for and shipped your end of a trade prior to that date, it doesn't count.
-If you have paid for something (item in hand) and are still in need of shipping, the shipping costs count
-for Canuckleheads, customs fees (taxes +$5.00) count, if applied to a trade of international origin
-preorders count if your credit card is charged after January 01, 2004
-travel charges (i.e. gas, bus, etc.) do not count as they are too intangible to keep track of (you're welcome Matt)
-all toy lines, collectibles, etc. that you collect are to be included - Master replicas, vintage, display cases
-fees for entrance into conventions do not apply nor do associated travel costs - it is presumed you would go anyway, but costs for items purchased at these events are included

These rules are welcome to be ammended as they are likely not complete.  I expect keeping track in this thread is the best idea, though it may lead to divorce ;)

Anyone up for it?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: The Great 2004 collectors challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 12:14 PM »
Sure I am up for it. It may scare the crap out of me at years end ;D  So anyway here is the start of my list

Recons running total for 2004::::
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 12:40 PM »
I'll do it!Lets see if it can stand up to my estimate...$600.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 12:46 PM »
I'm game.  Just toys and the like, right Brent?  No DVDs, CDs, comic books, etc., right?  I know a lot of people here collect those, myself included.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 12:53 PM »
I'll try to keep count of the money spent on DVDs, Star Wars figures/vehicles, and whatever collections I pick up this year. I wish I could put a cap on how much I spend this year, but,  :-X.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 01:27 PM »
Great thread Brent. This is going to kill me especially those preorders & custom fees!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 01:29 PM »
I'm game.  Just toys and the like, right Brent?  No DVDs, CDs, comic books, etc., right?  I know a lot of people here collect those, myself included.

No, I wasn't planning on counting comics, DVDs, CDs, books or other things like that.  That's entertainment, no collecting.  I agree we could argue the semantics of that notably with comic books but I was thinking more along hunks of metal, plastic and cloth.  I would have said action figures, but that could be construed to not include busts, Master Replica items, etc.  

Given that so many of us collect outside the spectrum of Star Wars I thought it best to be broad.  It does look like a fantastic year for SW schwag but it should be a great year for other stuff too.  McFarlane, Muppets, Batman, LOTR, Marvel Legends, Kubricks, Mini-mates, TMNT, etc.  all count.  

If you really want to keep track of everything hobby-wise, go for it.  I'm more curious about what I spend (I think I have an idea, but hope I'm wrong) on toy related stuff.  DVDs are my wife's responsibility ;)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 01:44 PM »
I figured as much, just checking.  I think I'll do two lists: toys (and the like) and everything else I shouldn't buy but do anyway.  It'll be interesting to see how much I could have saved if I didn't buy any thing.  Probably enough to buy a small country.

[Goes off to make an Excel spreadsheet to make this so much easier]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 01:45 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 01:51 PM »
Rough estimates I've done in the past puts me at between $50 and $250 a month...I'm game too though.  I'd really like to see what I spend, I'll guess at least $2000 :o

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 01:56 PM »
Great thread Brent. This is going to kill me especially those preorders & custom fees!

You know I had you in mind when I wrote that line (well, Bob too).  And all the other guys on The List.  

I would guess I drop quite a bit more than Scott, but less than Dale.  $5K a year?

I already saved myself $179 by paying for my next case of hockey figures prior to the new year ;D but since my Kubrick's are probably sitting at the post office right now waiting for me, those customs fees will likely hike it back up :-\

Dale, should we report in Canuckian or US dollars?  It's more relevant to us to see what we spend in Canuckbucks, but it might form a better comparison if we use US?  What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 01:59 PM by Morgbug »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 01:59 PM »
This thread scares me.
REALLY scares me.

But I will partake.
Got Clones?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 02:18 PM »
I would guess I drop quite a bit more than Scott, but less than Dale.  $5K a year?

Dale, should we report in Canuckian or US dollars?  It's more relevant to us to see what we spend in Canuckbucks, but it might form a better comparison if we use US?  What do you think?

Only 5K? Is that in our funny money?  ;D  I know what I spent this year!  

I say we report in both. CDN = US. http://www.xe.com/ucc/  Would be nice to see the comparison at the rate of exchange.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 06:28 PM »
I do keep track, I have for a couple years on an Excel spreadsheet.  I only keep track of Star Wars and LOTR.  
(My daughter keeps track of Barbie and my son does his Simpsons).
I've never kept track of shipping and all that and (in my spreadsheet) books and comics are included.  If it has Star Wars on it, it's on the list (band-aids, toothbrushes, coloring books etc..)
I'll copy and paste the list for just toys and props and see how it works for 2004.

Beth

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 09:19 PM »
I'll take part too, so long as the wife never sees this thread.  ;)  

I'd be real interested to see what I spend. Has to be in the 1k-2k range. Yes, definitely don't let the wife see this thread.  :-X

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 10:31 PM »
I do keep track, I have for a couple years on an Excel spreadsheet

Care to share the results for the last few years?
Got Clones?