Author Topic: LOTR: The Two Towers DVD Thread  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
LOTR: The Two Towers DVD Thread
« on: June 12, 2003, 07:16 PM »
LOTR: TTT extended scenes description for DVD!

A buddy just e-mailed me this USA Today link with the details on some of the new/extended scenes that will be included on the upcoming Two Towers DVD (Special Extended Version).  Check it out here:  LOTR: TTT extended DVD scenes!

THREE HOURS AND 43 MINUTES!!!   8)  This four disc set sound pretty much identical to teh FOTR set from last year, which was an absolute masterpiece!  I can't wait for November 18th!   8)  Unfortunatley though, I don't see any mention of that flashback scene that was shot and is included in one of the recent TTT reference books where Smeagol kills some guy in a boat, or something to that effect.  Here's another cool link with some speculation on some other scenes that might be included: TTT extended scenes?

So which new scenes are you guys and gals most excited to see?
« Last Edit: May 5, 2004, 07:43 PM by JediMAC »

obi_robz

Re: LOTR: TTT extended scenes description for DVD!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 07:32 PM »
What I like the most is that it sounds like Faramir is going to be more like he is in the book. In the movie, he seemed like a totally different person and it was the only one of the big changes PJ made to the story that I thought was a bad decision. I didn’t like how they missed large parts of Faramirs back story, so I’m looking forward to the Boromir in the boat sequence, and seeing more of the relationship between the two brothers.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 08:33 PM »
Vague type of question but...

Is there a different date for the non-4 disc set?  i.e. 2 disc set?  I'd like to get the larger set and not bother with the more basic one.  Does anyone have a link to the variety of sets that will be available?  2, 4, 5, 17 disc set?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Virex

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 09:27 PM »
2-disc theatrical:  August 26
4-disc Extended:  November 18

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 10:37 PM »
I was also hoping for the Smeagol flashback scene; hopefully there will be more than those covered in the story, or maybe they will use the scene in ROTK.

Wasn't there supposed to be scenes of Eowyn fighting Orcs that managed to get into the caves? They had a lot of promo pictures of her holding a sword, looking like she was just in a big fight.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 11:11 PM »
2-disc theatrical:  August 26
4-disc Extended:  November 18

Thanks Jugdish.  Any word on a 5 disc set, a la TT?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 11:21 AM »
Any word on a 5 disc set, a la TT?

I think you mean a la FOTR, right Brent?  That 5 disc set was just the regular 4 disc set, plus a National Geographic documentary on Tolkien and the Rings series in general.  Cost an extra $50 to get that National Geographic DVD and a set of bookends.  Blah!

That said, I can't wait for TTT to hit that deluxe 4-disc set treatment again!  The new scenes sound good, but like others, I was definitely hoping for the Smeagol flashback and the Eowyn vs. Uruk-hai clip(s).  Hopefully they're in there too, and that article just failed to mention them.

Lucas should seriously take note of what Jackson's doing here with these films (in every respect).  George is falling behind the curve...   :(

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 11:31 AM »
Can't wait.  Another 45 minutes of extra footage makes me one happy camper.  I'll pick up the theatrical edition when released and the EE also (like I did with FOTR).  The sneak peek of ROTK on the theatrical edition will hold me over until December - like the theatrical FOTR did for TT.  

I too hope for the "origin" scenes of Gollum.  The pics floating around the net were awesome.  I want to see more Ents and more Helms Deep.  Hopefully Faramir character gets fleshed out more and acts like his portrayal in the book - the complete opposite of Boromir. In the movie, he came across alot like Boromir - someone who feels like the Ring should be used as a weapon.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 11:43 AM »
Thanks Matt, my attention to detail is not what it once was. ;)  FOTR.

And thanks for the explanation of the 5 disc set.  Don't need that one, no I don't.  I'll try and hold off for the four disc set on this one alone.

I also agree that SW is falling behind.  That or the LOTR marketing crew has lots to learn from SW.  Inexpensive large toys with tons of accessories?  Fools.  DVD's only in two versions, quickly with added features included and not put up on a pay website?  Blasphemy ::)

Jango Fettish

LOTR: TTT Midnight Sale + Freebies
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 06:33 PM »
Wal Mart will have "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" 2 Disc set on August 26th for $17.96.

At my local Supercenter, they are advertising a midnight sale, at which you can get a "light up" one ring necklace. Pretty cool incentive.

Also,  WalMart.com has a preorder promotion where you can get a free shirt w/ your order

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Re: LOTR: TTT Midnight Sale + Freebies
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 08:12 PM »
I have also seen this add at Wal-Mart. That is where I am going to be buying LOTR:TT unless somewhere else has a better promo.

I head someone was going to have a PhoneCard with purchase of the movie.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: LOTR: TTT Midnight Sale + Freebies
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 01:53 AM »
This isn't a midnight sale, but TRU has it for $14.99. YOu have to preorder it and put $5 down, and the day it comes out you pay the remaining $9.99. It's the best price I've seen yet.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Jango Fettish

LOTR:TTT DVD Problems w/ PS2?
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 06:13 PM »
Update: I have now bought LOTR:TTT twice from Wal Mart and once from Target. ALL 3 crap out at Chapter 50, when Gandalf is giving the "The battle for.." speech. It slows down, as they are on the mountaintop..then it pauses..digitalizes..then skips to Frodo and Sam in the forest.

Anyone else having this problem?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 06:24 PM by Cory H »

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Re: LOTR:TTT DVD Problems w/ PS2?
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2003, 09:17 PM »
I think some guy on the 'Scum forums is having the same issue. May want to check with him...

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Re: LOTR:TTT DVD Problems w/ PS2?
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2003, 02:04 PM »
It is the PS2 that is causing this problem. The BestBuys Store near me has a sign  saying the LOTR:TTT dvd will not play properly on the PS2 or X-Box game systems. I have heard many people complaining about this issue.

For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com