Author Topic: Poker  (Read 29686 times)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Poker
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 07:24 AM »
I made the final table of a Texas Hold 'Em tournament last night but did not place in the money.

I had pocket kings. I raise four times the big blind. I get one caller. The flop was then Ace, Ace, Ace.

I have the second best possible hand. An "Aces over Kings" full house. The only thing that can beat me is if he has the fourth Ace. Since he had called my previous bet I decide to bet 3 times the big blind to see where I am at. I actually want to bet more but I am sure he is going to re-raise.

Sure enough he re-raises and I call.

The same thing happens on the turn. I bet, he re-raises, and I call.

I bet after the river and he re-raises "all in." He could have almost anything with Ace, Ace, Ace, and two low cards on the board. There is a good chance he also has a full house. I don't know what the odds are of him having the fourth Ace but I know I have the best possible full house. There is also no straight flush possiblilities.

I make the call and he has the Ace. Blah. I am crippled and blinded out shortly thereafter. All of my friends (who were already eliminated and in sour moods) said I played that hand all wrong. I don't know though. I flopped the best possible full house. How do you get away from that?

Well, he re-raised your post flop bet, and you showed some weakness by downgrading your post flop bet from 4x to 3x the big blind.  You fell perfectly into his trap since he reraises you on each street and you kept calling.  Any time that the flop comes out trips, you have to think someone may have the fourth card.  His odds on having the ace?  Better than you think.  Preflop, there are four aces in the deck, so that is 1:13.  However, you are dealt two cards, so his odds increase to 2:13.  The odds the flop comes out the last three aces?  1:4960...that is assuming there are ten players and that none of those players had an ace.  It would leave 32 cards in the deck preflop so the first card is 3:32, second 2:31 and third 1:30...offcourse you can drop the denominators by one if the dealer burns the top card.  Anyways, you should have either gone all in preflop, or stopped leading out betting after he reraised post flop.  By always betting first and then getting reraised and calling it, you were pot commited by the river and had to call.  Laying down a hand like that is tough, but a skill you must acquire to be successful.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 09:38 AM »
There's a standing game every monday night that I have an open invitation to. Never go though. I'm not very good.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 04:04 AM »
Another fifth place finish. I made the final table but did not place in the money...again.

I was also the victim of losing another big hand to an opponent with Quads...again.

I had Ace/King. The flop was 10, 10, 10. The turn was a King. The river was also a King.

I called the bet on the flop. I called the bet on the turn. My opponent called my bet on the river. He had Ace/10 giving him quads. I don't mind this one too much. There was a very good chance he was playing the board. Since I had a King, my full house was better than the board's full house.

I made a straight flush for the first time since I started player poker. I had the ten of diamonds. The board had 9, Jack, Queen, and King of diamonds. I did not bet too hard as I was worried someone had the Ace of diamonds. I did nicely on that hand as someone had the 8 of diamonds.

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 01:22 AM »
I made a straight flush for the first time since I started player poker. I had the ten of diamonds. The board had 9, Jack, Queen, and King of diamonds. I did not bet too hard as I was worried someone had the Ace of diamonds. I did nicely on that hand as someone had the 8 of diamonds.

It wasn't until a day later that I realized I could not be beat in that hand. I had a straight flush. Even if my opponent had the Ace of Diamonds he would only have a flush.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 02:36 PM »
Anyone else here ever play online poker?

I started up an account at PokerStars.net last night, just for fun, free money.  I don't yet have the guts (or the skills, or the scratch) to play with real money.

And, after not even a full day, one thing's readily apparent:  I suck balls.

So, if anybody wants to play with a ball-sucker, let me know and we can get a table set up.

http://www.pokerstars.net/
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 03:08 PM »
i'm down, Matt. i usually play on Full Tilt, but i have an account on there. anytime, anyplace, sucka.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 03:20 PM »
Name it.

My handle there is Matty1138.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 03:21 PM »
you ought to download Full Tilt, really. it's much better (still free). but if you want to go on Poker Stars, i'm Carpeteria. shocking, i know.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2007, 03:23 PM »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2007, 03:23 PM »
I did download FTP a long time ago, actually, but never used it.  I tried to connect last night but I could never get on, so that's when I went to PokerStars.

I finally got on to FTP earlier today but it prompted me for a user name and password, which I've long since forgotten.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2007, 03:25 PM »
hmm... you ought to reregister. it's a far better program. i've only messed around with PS a bit, and it's kinda baffling - it might be because it's a beta version for Macs, but i don't know...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 03:37 PM »
Is there a difference between playing at FTP.com and FTP.net?

It was my understanding that .com is real money, and .net is play money.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2007, 03:39 PM »
once you download the program, you can choose between real and play money on the program itself. they only just added the real money function recently, so it shouldn't matter

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2007, 07:56 PM »
I'd be up for some Poker, I still play Hold'em at work during lunch & on my PC "WPC" a game program I bought at Walmart. So which one are you guy's going with, Pokerstars or Fulltilt?

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2007, 12:00 PM »
i say full tilt, still.