Author Topic: Bobafreaks collection  (Read 7971 times)

Offline bobafreak

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • The Smallest Star Wars Collection In The World
Bobafreaks collection
« on: January 6, 2004, 12:59 AM »
Hi my name is bobafreak, (named by Jeremy himself). I  was 4 when A New Hope came to my town and have been collecting ever since. I've read so many times in these forums how the picks are only some of the collection. The rest is still in boxes, and someday I'm gonna get a house with a basement all for Star Wars. That was my plan too, but 2 years ago I bought a house (best displayable basement of all the houses we looked at) I brought the collction, 2 - 26' U-hauls in all, and proceeded to display, then condense, then rebox then store all over again. here are some pictures of my collection, but unfortunately, a large bulk of my collection is in the garage and shed.  

You can see more of my collection at
http://community.webshots.com/user/boba_freak

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Bobafreaks collection
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2004, 01:28 AM »
Welcome to JediDefender freak!  Bobafreak, that is...   :P  Nice collection there!  I actually had to do a copy/paste with the URL of you picture into my browser, since it's just showing up as a little red "x" right now.  I think that's a regular issue with the Webshots server though.

Good looking collection though.  That foot wide section/beam that runs horizontally along the top of your ceiling there looks like prime real estate for some more carded figures too!  Keep it up.  Looking forward to more pix of your stuff.

And feel free to give any of the staff here a holler if you've got any comments or questions about JediDefender.  Thanks for joining us!

- Matt

Offline bobafreak

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2004, 01:30 AM »
The garage contains the poster collection, the book/ magazine/ newspaper collection, the large statues and displays. Hundreds of boxes of random things that didn't fit in the basement, and all my Star Wars toys I played with as a child....teen....ok fine, I still go out there to play with them sometimes. We'll just call those the lose stuff.

My basement as of about 5 months ago can be seen at

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 6, 2004, 01:38 AM »
Bobafreak,

Great collection.  I especially like the boxed vintage display.  How did you afford to buy a house after buying all this stuff?

-Fish-

Offline bobafreak

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2004, 01:41 AM »
thanx Matt! did the second ones come out ok? I used the thumbnails of the pics instead of the pics themselves.

I just got involved with forums this year...um last year, oops! I work long hours and don't get time to participate daily, so if I don't reply to stuff rght away I'm sorry.

p.s. going right now to change out of your avatar :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2004, 01:46 AM »
...http://community.webshots.com/user/boba_freak

Damn...   :o  That's one helluva setup there!  Most excellent!  Not near enough time to go through all those pix...  Some nice Vintage 12", especially Boba.  I see you've got a thing for Mr. Sacul too.  All 6 of those variants (beard color, trademark color), or just a lot of Saculs?

And please don't take this the wrong way, but you are a guy, right?  I'd obviously think "Leslie" would usually be a female, but not with that kind of collection.  If you are a lady, than that's even more insanely impressive!  Need more female collectors out there...  But I'm gonna still guess you're a dude though.   :P  I've known a couple guys named Leslie, so it's certainly possible...  Either way, sick collection there!

Offline bobafreak

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 6, 2004, 01:51 AM »
Thanx Fish! The collection wasn't that expensive, don't get me wrong I'm as broke as the next guy thanx to Lucasfilm, but its been spread out over 27 years. And as for the house, I have the one thing every Star Wars Freak needs, a wife with a good job and her own passion for Star Wars

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2004, 01:52 AM »
p.s. going right now to change out of your avatar :)

Well, that's mighty kind of you, but you didn't have to do that!  I'm willing to share...   ;)

And as for the house, I have the one thing every Star Wars Freak needs, a wife with a good job and her own passion for Star Wars

Guess that answers my other question...   ;)  But you're Leslie, right?  Or is that your wife...  Just want to make sure I'm calling you by the correct name, since "freak" ain't quite right - though maybe appropriate after seeing your insanse collection of SW swag!   8)  Very cool to have a collecting partner too!  Doesn't get much better than that!

And that first picture is showing up now, so whatever the problem was, it seems to be fine now.  Excuse me though, while I go jealously vomit all over my tiny little collection room now!   :-[  Of course, I have two much larger collection rooms as well, but they're more commonly referred to as "storage units", for which I pay a tidy sum of money each month!   >:(

All you guys with those gigantic basements are so lucky!!!  Whereabouts do you live Leslie?  The Northwest?  (if that's not too personal)  

So how would you describe your overall collecting habits?  Avid completist of EVERYTHING (as it appears), or just the stuff you like?  Just carded/boxed?  Any loose?  Both vintage and modern, etc...

- M
« Last Edit: January 6, 2004, 02:00 AM by JediMAC »

Offline bobafreak

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2004, 02:18 AM »
no prob!  There are 3 different Jorgs, didnt know till after the convention about the variations. I bought 6 total and my wife bought 3 as presents. I wish I woulda looked closer while we were still there It woulda helped eryone I'm sure if Ida notice and logged dates and times. I was the first person in line and in the door, but like 5th to buy one (wife slowed me down on the sprint lol) and I was also the last one out the door on the last day. I bought 2 each day and got 1 free after closing on the second night after the concert.
I was handed an employee pass at the front door on the first day because I was checking I.D.s and guarding the doorfor 8 hours. I got tired of people trying to get in through the door at the start of the line, lol. Yeah thousands of people camping out in front of an unlocked door, that also doubles as the employee /press /vendor entrance. No one believed me when I said it was locked, they all pulled it anyway! So I stuck a heel in it to keep it open and started working. when the boss got there he asked "where's your nametag?" I said I never got one, he asked the spelling of my name and 5 minutes later I had one of my favorite pieces with one of my favorite stories :)

Aand as for where I live, I live in the same town as dusthro in Illinois  

If you were there my pickup was right in front of the entrance, Slave I license plate and a black leather banner with the Star Wars Loggo on the tailgate

Offline bobafreak

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 6, 2004, 02:40 AM »
collecting habits, anything I can find and afford, only thing I stay away from is international completing. If I see something foriegn at  a store, flea market etc. that I can't live without I'll get it, but I collect anything that says Star Wars on it and no one has access to the whole world, not enough to get everything that comes out.

Loose, I have all my toys from my youth and many many from garage sales every since. My family owns antique stores and goes to lots of flea markets and garage sales. The most noticable toys from star Wars are the vader case, the mellinium falcon and the ewok village. I have over 30 vader cases, over 5o falcons and at least 12 ewok villages (once the pieces are put together).  I completed my vintage loose (not including variations), Completed the carded 12 backs and completed my 12 inch collection/ vintage and all the rest including known variations on the 95-present ones. As for the rest of vintage there are always more toys I don't have boxed. I'm not really a completest as far most other things go, there are so many people out there collecting this time, I figure I'll pick up anything I miss (like the showtime figures) once the frenzy dies down in 2006

and yes I am Leslie (bobafreak)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: January 6, 2004, 02:56 AM »
Welcome to JediDefender, and thanks for sharing pics of that VERY sweet collection, Leslie... Dunno where to begin, but my favorite photo would have to be the one with the ewok in the R2 cooler deal.  :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: January 6, 2004, 03:00 AM »
Cool story and collectible from C2 there, but didn't it kinda bum you out to have to guard the door for 8 hours during the festivities?  I'm probably one of the people who tried to knock through you and that door!   :P

collecting habits, anything I can find and afford, only thing I stay away from is international completing.

Well, if you want to fit in around here Leslie, you're gonna have to collect the Japanese Kubrick Star Wars figures!  Those are kind of like our forum mascots now (other than the llama and Shania Twain, that is).

...over 5o falcons

Sorry, but does that say 50, as in FIFTY Millenium Falcons?!?  Holy crap.  If so, what the hell do you do with them all?!

...Completed the carded 12 backs...

Ah, now that's the jewel of any Star Wars collection - Carded 12-backs.  My absolute favorite pieces (not that I own any yet though).  Did I miss that picture, or is it not up on your site?  I'd love to see those!  Any Vintage store displays for the first 12, 20, or 21 figures?  Love those too!

From FishEyedLouie's Collection thread:
I wish I had the guts to open, but I stopped opening in the middle of Empire.

I can't be reading this right...  You said you were 4 when ANH originally came out, which would put you somewhere between the ages of 7 - 9 around the "middle of Empire".  You didn't possibly stop opening figures at that young of an age, did you?

BTW, forgot to ask earlier, but do you actually know Chris Rhoads (dustrho)?

Alright, enough with the questions now!  I suppose I'll give you a breather...   ;)
« Last Edit: January 6, 2004, 03:17 AM by JediMAC »

Offline bobafreak

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 6, 2004, 03:27 AM »
Thanx ewok! I'll put together an all ewok picture for ya next time I take pics.

Didnt bum me to hold the door, wasn't budging from that spot anyway till it opened officially.

Kubricks - Super Sweet! Iv'e been robbed several times online so I try to stay away from that. I found a Japanese mall in Illinois so I drove there to its import toy store. all Kubrics except the Star Wars line. :(  Found an IG88 at a toy show in St. Charles, Il but still no luck on any of the others

Yes over 50, loose of course and only 3 or 4 of those close to complete with stickers /little pieces. all have tops and landing gear at least( plus 2 boxed)

Alass no pics of the 12 backs. needed  Bail money a few years back and those were the collateral. Offered my 65 mustang but my mom new better. I WILL PAY OFF MY 12 BACKS! I do have luke chewie vader and 3po 12 backs here extra though, vintage carded aren't on the pegwall, 96 - present are gunniepigs, but I'll get pics of them soon

I do have some old displays but none of the flat ads with the figs. I wouldn't turn them down if I saw one for sell but so far...no. I like Displays that also double as toy shelves. and my favorite displays are any that are free!! like the frito lay shelves like the ones they had on display 2 years ago and the square lego skid size display both courtesy of my wife (Manager at Meijer store :)  )

ok last thing... don't worry about the pushing through the door thing YOU WERE'NT ALONE!  lol

Offline bobafreak

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2004, 03:43 AM »
yes middle of Empire, I did then and do now Love the way they look in the packages. don't worry, I got lots and lots loose from garage sales, salvation armies, flea markets etc. But we were poor so if I got some packaged ones from christmas/ birthday/ relatives.. those  stayed closed. Don't worry I had enough loose guys to play along to almost every seen of the movies. Did open the droids/ ewok figs cause they were ugly and the cartoon never made it to my town so as far as I cared they were fake. actully cried when I got the entire line of ewoks! I asked for Star Wars figures not knock offs! (1984) That is still costing me money today lol

no don't acually know dusthro seen him online elsewhere, would like to though especially so our poor wives could meet! My wife has been interviewed for articles to get a womans perspective on Star Wars and living with a collector freak and is wife sounds like she could relate :)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 9, 2004, 04:38 PM »
Wow, incredible collection there bobafreak!  Very eclectic in some areas.  Cool!

Never heard of a kid during the vintage era saving carded figures though.  Pretty weird, but great foresight!   ;)  Glad to hear you still had some loose figures to bide the time with as well though.

So how much does your wife contribute to the collection?