Author Topic: Forum upgrade?  (Read 45935 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Forum upgrade?
« on: August 9, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Is there any chance that the forums could be upgraded to something modern in the near future? I would like to see something that is mobile friendly. It's really hard to read this site on my phone. I would like to be able to "like" individual messages. A media gallery and user blog could be fun. Being able to see a video from you tube in a post would be nice. Maybe add a user status feed? I can think of a lot more features that I enjoy elsewhere. This place is just become too out of date. Maybe there just isn't enough of us to afford it? We could pay for site privileges to help fund the site? Maybe a store? It seems like Star Wars web sites are frozen in time.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Forum upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Is there any chance that the forums could be upgraded to something modern in the near future?

At this point in time, there is a far greater chance of site closure than site upgrade.

Always in motion is the future, but right now we're a dinosaur site serving dinosaur collectors and we're planning to stay that way until its over.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 06:04 PM »
 Good place for a grandpa Simpson gif
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 10:04 PM »
“Old man yells at cloud”  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Thanks Jeff and crew for keeping this dinosaur site running.  The discussions in this forum are far more intelligent and balanced than any other site out there that I've found.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 11:40 AM »
I concur!

I throw a few bucks every month via Patreon towards GalkacticHunter to keep Adam's Q&A going, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same here to make sure this forum stays active if you put the option out there.

This place is like a favorite broken-in recliner I can take a break in at the end of the day (or the beginning!) with no surprises.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Yes thanks to Jeff, Jesse, etc. and anyone who posts here. Nice to have a site where, not that everyone agrees, but no one seems to have an agenda and or wants to Troll
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Is there any chance that the forums could be upgraded to something modern in the near future?

At this point in time, there is a far greater chance of site closure than site upgrade.

Always in motion is the future, but right now we're a dinosaur site serving dinosaur collectors and we're planning to stay that way until its over.
That's sad since that was what was said ten years ago.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Yeah site upgrades and software improvements/ integration are neither free, nor simple to do with all the migration of stuff, working out the kinks, etc.  Jeff does what he does as best as can be hoped for when there isn’t a massive amount of income coming from anywhere, and time is finite.  It’s kind of a blessing to have a hangout at all (since our forums are sort of still active actually) since I’m sure he’s thought of closing up shop simply from the time consumption aspect and him having an active family and work life.  I know what little I have done has sometimes come at the expensive of time with the family, or a side project I need to do.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 07:19 PM »
I'm not trying to be an ass, I just am one, but none of those upgrades would add to my JD experience anyway. I'm just happy Jeff keeps it going out of the generosity of his heart
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 12:51 AM »
I like your response.  :D

👍