Author Topic: Daily Comics  (Read 21297 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Daily Comics
« on: January 7, 2004, 09:42 AM »
I was just wondering if any of you check out the daily comics (funnies, cartoons, whatever you might call them).  Growing up, I always read them in the newspaper (especially on Sundays, which in Nebraska is the only day of the week that the comics were in color!).  My Dad, brother and I would read them together...some sort of a tradition...probably sounds silly.  Since I work online all the time, I take a moment each day to visit Ucomics.com, to check out some of my favorites.  I always enjoy the classics...Calvin and Hobbes reprints (I wish this comic was still going), Peanuts, Garfield, Dilbert (from time to time)...and I think my favorite anymore is Fox Trot.  I guess I just find this comic funny, plus there are often mentions of Star Wars, LOTR, and other "geeky" stuff :).  Do you have any other favorites that you might recommend?  Or do you read comics at all?

UComics.com

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Comics
« Reply #1 on: January 7, 2004, 10:14 AM »
Thanks for that link, Brian.  I bookmarked it and will definitely check it out.

The Boston Globe's comics suck ass.  The only three I read are Foxtrot (the best comic out there right now), For Better or For Worse and out of habit, Garfield.  I miss the classics I grew up reading - Blondie, Hagar the Horrible, Beetle Bailey, etc.  Of course, none of those can hold a candle to Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side, which along with the above mentioned Foxtrot, are probably my top three comics of all time.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2004, 10:22 AM »
I read Fox Trot, Dilbert, and PvP daily. Everything else is pretty lame.

I too wish Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side were still being made. They didn't follow the Garfield path of going even when you're not funny anymore.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline apokolips

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2004, 10:35 AM »
My Dad, brother and I would read them together...some sort of a tradition...probably sounds silly.

Not silly at all!  This was how my dad helped teach me how to read.  We read the comic strips every day together.

Maybe reading comic books has skewed my view, but I haven't found newspaper comic strips funny or entertaining AT ALL in a good long while.  The funniest strips ever, in my opinion, would have to be Calvin & Hobbes, Robotman, and The Far Side.

Ever check out any of the web strips?  My favorite I read daily (when posted daily) is www.somethingpositive.net .  It's way more "adult" than the newspaper comics, definitely not for minors.  There's an archive going back a few years.  I suggest you go to the very beginning and start there.

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2004, 02:56 PM »
I haven't read the comics since "Calvin and Hobbes" and "The Far Side" died.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2004, 06:40 PM »
the only comic i read religiously - and i do mean religiously, every day - is get fuzzy. since i don't read the newspaper, i just get it online everyday. well, actually, i get it sent to my mailbox every day, since comics.com has an email service where they will send you comics everyday, except sunday for some reason.

get fuzzy

get fuzzy also has mentions of star wars and other pop culture icons from time to time, and i think that one of the star wars themed cartoons is actually what got me hooked. check it out, it never fails to make me laugh - or at least smile  ;D

www.comics.com

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 8, 2004, 07:33 PM »
I have the Garfield comic strip delivered daily to my email box...other than that, I don't read any unless someone posts one here.
Beth

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2004, 08:04 PM »
I'm like a lot of you--my interest in the comics died with The Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes.  They all suck now, and I might take a glance at the comics page every couple of months, if that.  (BTW, our paper here in Oklahoma is reported to be one of the few papers that run their daily comics in full color.  Anyone else have full color daily comics, or is it black and white?)

Anyway, if you guys like The Far Side, I want to recommend that you check out my buddy Roger's website, where he's archived his old comic, Pulp, for all to see.  Here's a sample:

Sure, it's a little (okay, a lot) derived from Gary Larson, but please know that he was doing these over a decade ago, when he was in his late teens, and when The Far Side was still going strong.  He hasn't done any in probably seven or eight years, unfortunately, but at the time, it was pretty cool.  Even ran in a couple of local papers here in Oklahoma, too.  

http://rogerdisney.com/pulp/
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 02:59 PM »
This was posted a few days ago, but speaking of daily comics...THIS might be kind of neat.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 12:53 PM »
I used to love the comics page, but they seldom make me laugh any more. Opus is funny. Non Sequiter is funny sometimes. Ballard Street is so wierd most of the time that I laugh at it. Doonesbury is funny every once in a while (I'm not hip to some of the greybeard, parent with grown up kids humor Trudeau has been employing lately). Dilbert is good for a laugh 50% of the time. Boondocks ROCKS. Get Fuzzy can be cool sometimes. I can relate to The Norm. Bizarro is real hit & miss.

Comics I HATE and never read: Peanuts (Schulz is dead, let the strip RIP), Love Is...(I think she's dead, too. What's up with dead strip artists and immortality?), Family Circus (BLECH!), BC (too much preachy crap), Snuffy Smith (???), Garfield (Jim Davis has lost it completely), Curtis (can't relate), Funky Winkerbean (it's like a sitcom that tries to be serious. Cancer doesn't belong in the funny pages), Crankshaft (ditto for Alzheimers), Luann (teenage girl comes of age), any of the soap opera comic strips like Mary Worth, Judge Parker, et al (what is the point of this?!?!), The Wizard of Id ( I've never laughed at it), Hagar the Horrible (ditto), Beatle Bailey (3rd no laugh strip in a row).

I am indifferent to any strips I didn't mention. If I blasted your favorite comic strip, my apologies. This thread is timely for me because I was just complaining to a friend of mine how badly the comics pages suck these days.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 12:55 PM »
I completely stopped looking once the far side and calvin and hobbes ended.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 12:56 PM »
Zod, you would probably dig The Boondocks.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 07:54 PM »
Reading the comics in the Chicago Sun-Times is about 80% of the time the only thing I'll actually read in the newspaper unless there's some good stuff in the Tech section. The local/national/global news is just too depressing or disgusting to read and the sports section is nothing I already don't know from watching TV or listening to the radio. So comics is the place to be, some fine stuff in the Sun-Times like Garfield, Curtis, Wizard of ID, Lucky Cow, Family Circus, etc...

I've also been drawn to several online comics over the last couple years...

PvP Online
Little-Gamers
Ctrl-Alt-Del

All are gaming comics, though they've each branched off into other genres, with Star Wars specifically catching my eye.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 07:55 PM »
The Boondocks has been a pretty good read the past year. Foxtrot is endearing. Get Fuzzy is a decent read. Dilbert is a regular for me.

The local paper picked up Pearls before Swine about a month ago. Though the latest arc has been fluffy, there was a stretch where it made fun of some other strips.

Garfield is being done by an automaton, but I gotta give Davis his due for a recent strip that took a veiled knock at the current events... or more precisely, what lead to it.

Offline Dark_Kanos

• Youngling
  • Jawa Ben
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 08:05 PM »
 :D ~Dk~ likes Foxtrot,zits and whizid of id
Jawa Ben