Author Topic: Cellular Telephones  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Cell phone recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Bad trip, Brent?  Grumpier than normal ;)

I agree with you about the vibrate function.  Mine is usually on ring, but in meetings, in the movie theater, etc., I always turn it to vibrate (or silence all so it doesn't beep when I get a new voicemail).  Even in my line of work where cell phones are standard issue, it's always better to take the extra step and manner mode them (especially if you're in a meeting with a respective client and trying to sell your company and get more work).  Professionalism goes a long way.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Time to drag this bad boy up from the depths...

Well, I'm looking to upgrade my cell phone (hopefully before C3 even). 

Well, that was fast - I just got home from the Verizon Wireless store.  Since I was already doing research up front, the actual purchasing part went very smoothly.   :)

I ended up with this phone - Samsung SCH-a670:

And my wife ended up with this one - Samsung SCH-a650:

The main difference between the phones is that mine is the "gadgety" one - camera, 2nd color screen on the outside for caller ID/time, more storage, etc.

We ended up going with the Verizon FamilyShare 500 minutes plan ($59.99).  For how and why we want to use our phones, they seem to have the best national coverage and the "no roaming", free calls between phones, and free nights and weekends is such a great deal especially with other family members who are "In".

We'lll see how it goes over the next month or two.  If we like it, we will then pull the trigger on the switch to Cable Internet and then drop the Qwest land line all together (take that stone ages!  :P).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 03:24 PM »
I floated the dropping the landline proposal a few months ago, I was shot down on the "We need it in case we need to call 9-1-1" ::)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 03:25 PM by Scott »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 04:07 PM »
Those cell phones missing a "9" are a bitch.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 04:09 PM »
LOL, I should tell her that.  Does she have a point though, if I dial 911 from my house does it go the local dispatcher or does it go somewhere else??

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 04:15 PM »
Honestly, I don't know.  I would assume it goes to the closest dispatcher, based on the first three numbers of your phone.  Obviously, your cell phone's numbers are going to be different from your house number, but your address should show up regardless of which one you use.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 04:27 PM »
LOL, I should tell her that.  Does she have a point though, if I dial 911 from my house does it go the local dispatcher or does it go somewhere else??

It depends on the type of phone you have and where you are at...  most 911 systems now automatically report the telephone number and location of 911 calls made from wireline phones (it's called Enhanced 911 or E911).

Not all phones have it, but almost all the newer phones I looked yesterday seemed to be able to do it (with GPS in the phone too).

Also, you can pay a nominal fee and have "9-1-1 Only" service from some of the phone companies... I'm not sure if Qwest does this here in MN, but you could check into that if it was the only thing stopping you.

Jeff

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 02:20 PM »
I ended up with this phone - Samsung SCH-a670:

Well, here we are just a little over 2 years later and my phone died on me. 

OK, it didn't really "die", it was just a battery issue (I've had the original battery the whole time).  But, since I have the "new every 2" deal with Verizon and I was itching to get something new anyway, I did a little phone shopping this weekend. 

After checking out the stuff in my price range, I decided on this one:

Samsung SCH-u740

The two-way flip screen is much easier for writing text messages and e-mail and the larger screen size is much easier on the eyes than my last phone.  Also, it's flatter than my last phone, so it fits far more comfortably in the front pants pocket than the old one did.  The camera is much nicer too - improved flash, focus and video features too. 

I've only had it for 3 days, but I love it. ;D

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Cellular Telephones
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 02:29 PM »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Samsung SCH-a670

Samsung SCH-u740

Update for 2010:  The SCH-u740 (Alias) finally died.  Battery was barely holding a charge and to top if off the screen died killing any texting.  Since I had the day off, I stopped into the verizon store and picked out a new phone:  Samsung SCH-u450 (Samsung Intensity).  The price was right (free) and it's a nice little phone for e-mail/texting, which is all I need it to be since I don't have one o' them expensinve data package plans. :)