Author Topic: motorcycle  (Read 3875 times)

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
motorcycle
« on: January 9, 2004, 06:40 PM »
I have started saving up for a new motorcycle. I should have enough for it (or a significant down payment) by march. My girlfriend and I broke up last week, and I realized that when I have a girlfriend a lot of my extra money goes to dating, dinner, whatever. This will be a great time to buy it. I knew there would be a positive to this
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Re: motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2004, 07:53 PM »
What type of bike are you wanting to get? I have an '02 R6 that's been collecting dust since it good cold. Winter sucks  >:(

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2004, 07:58 PM »
I'll sympathize with that one.  It's surprising how much money you spend on your significant other. Even though every once in awhile she'll pay for dinners out, I find that I am relieved when I eat with a group of friends and I'm ONLY paying for my part of the bill. It's like "Wow, this dinner didn't cost 60 bucks!"

I suppose trading your girlfriend in on a new bike is a good deal.  :)
Got Clones?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2004, 10:52 PM »
Be like me, marry a woman that makes more money than you do.   ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 12:06 AM »
I'm with Brent get a woman who makes big bucks ;)

Actually I am in a good situation with the wife bike wise. I bought my bike a few years ago and she was all for it. It sure tooka  big dent out of  "my cash" but she enjoys taking rides on it.  Now though I am selling the thing come spring. No time to use it.

Anyway what type of bike are you looking at getting?
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 12:31 AM »
yeah lets get to the heart of this thing.  What kind of Bike?

I had to get rid of my 97 Fatboy a couple years ago when my daughter was 1.  I don't regret it, but I'd love to live vicariously through you.  I think if I did it again, I'd get a Ducati Monster or a BMW.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 10:01 PM »

I suppose trading your girlfriend in on a new bike is a good deal.  :)

Truthfully not my choice about the girl, but I have been very fond of bike for years. Financially I am doing better than ever. I have no responsibilities as far as a wife or kids, so this is the perfect time. Plus it is a cool hobby for me. I live in an apartment, so i dont have a garage, but I can either bring it inside at night :( or i was thinking of one of those u lock it places...I dont think they are too costly. I will have to see.
I am looking for more of a beginner bike since I havent driven a bike in about 6 years, and I need to get a motorcycle license.  
I am thinking of this
In silver and black

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 10:36 PM »
Screw motorcycles. Buy a Sea-Doo like me. Yeah, you can only use it three or four months a year, depending on where you live, but it doesn't hurt near as much to hit water as it does concrete and asphalt.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 01:45 AM »
I've got my motorcycle license, but currently no bike.  I need to buy a home before I buy a bike just yet.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Nice bike paploo,    Mine is very similar. I have a Magna VF750C  black. If some one can host a pic let me know and I will send it to you,

I always like the crusier style best.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 01:42 PM »
Screw motorcycles. Buy a Sea-Doo like me. Yeah, you can only use it three or four months a year, depending on where you live, but it doesn't hurt near as much to hit water as it does concrete and asphalt.

You know what? I agree.

The first time I wrecked a motorcycle was also one of the last times I ever rode one. I decided that there are just too many factors you can't control that can cause an accident (a SUV almost hit me and I swerved into a fence). If you get into an accident on a bike, whether you're going 25 or 85...you're lucky to be alive if you walk away from it afterwards. In a car....you're probably walking away no matter what speed you were driving as long as you were buckled up and not driving a Geo Metro.

Go for the Sea Doo.  :)
Got Clones?

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 10:20 PM »
I hate to say it guys a sea doo is not in the picture nor will it ever be in the picture. I am a terrible swimmer. I have a better chance of surviving a motorcycle accident than i do falling into the water

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 10:41 PM »
I'm sure it's the same everywhere, so allow me to offer some words of caution (hey, I'm old and a parent, so I can do this :P).  

The first rule of riding a motorcycle is that everyone on the road wants to kill you.  No, I'm not kidding.  If you can't drive defensively (which includes aggressively) do not buy a bike.  I rode one a while back for 3 years (Yamaha FJ600) and I swear every idiot on the road was either completely oblivious or malicious.  They are a ton of fun though.

Other depressing thought is I have seen two motorcycle accidents in my life.  Neither rider lived.  Both accidents were the riders' fault too.  Idiots or not.  

I'd dearly love to own a bike again, but not for some time will that happen.  Still, nice choice, I prefer the racing style and if I had the cash, would spring for a Ducati or Beemer as well.  I love Harley's but I like to go fast and while they can do that, I still see them as less manouverable than a rice rocket.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 12:44 AM »
My mother basically begged me to buy the Sea Doo instead of a motorcycle. I was looking at a rice rocket at the time, but after hearing the fatality rate for first year owners was 25%, I bought the Sea Doo.

I enjoy it, but it's a pain to maintain. Once I finish school, I'm going to buy me a Baja. It's a boat, but not huge. You can take it home with you instead of having to dock it. Plus, it goes fast, due to jet drive--no outboard to put up with.

But, I'm wandering. Be careful with whatever you decide to buy. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 09:32 AM »
The first rule of riding a motorcycle is that everyone on the road wants to kill you.

No truer words have been spoken in the forums.  I am not sure what it is, I have had people look directly at me when I was on the bike and STILL drift/swerve towards me.  

One advantage I found in riding the Harley (or any Cruiser) is that you can get the pipes loud enough that MOST people will hear you if you rack em a couple times.  That assumes they are not talking on their cell phone, playing grab-ass with the other  teenagers in the car or distracted by changing their radio stations because they think that their life requires a "Soundtrack" and everyone needs to hear it.

The only other thing is WEAR a Helmet!  For several reasons, but mostly because it increases your survival rate.  I had the internal dilemna of wanting the wind in my face and to look "cool" but then after my first 70 mph trip and my contacts nearly pealing out of my eyes despite wearing sunglasses, I went with the helmet.  Besides, it adds an air of mystery.  Helmets and Superbikes seem to go together, but I did feel kinda funny being the only guy in the Harley club who wore a REAL DOT approved helmet.  Oh well I was about 20 years younger than most of them too.