Author Topic: Themed waves haven't helped me...  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Themed waves haven't helped me...
« on: January 9, 2004, 11:02 PM »
When Hasbro announced the idea of themed waves, I hoped it meant a return to POTJ style case assortments. Obviously that hasn't happened, as I've chased Ach-Med Beqs and Kren Blista-Vanees around town trying to catch both the Hoth and Tatoonie waves.

This week, I finally started to see R-3POs and Hoth Troopers sitting around with their 2003 casemates, and tonight I finally found the whole Tatooine wave on the pegs. Unfortunately when I left, I left behind those same remnants I had been getting so frustrated at seeing.

I understand Hasbro is trying to keep a steady variety of figures out there, and I also feel the irony of being a big proponent of the "12 different figures per case" idea. But during POTJ, either the pegs were empty and I knew to check back, or the newest figures were there. There wasn't all the "hope those other figures sell soon" anxiety.

:( :'( :(

(Don't mind me, just venting.)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Themed waves haven't helped me...
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2004, 11:10 PM »
I kind of thought this too.  I thought the new wave every month meant those figs were in and out in a month, but it doesn't seem that way at all.  If they sell, they sell, but Dignitaries and nightclub patrons are warming pegs here too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 04:35 PM »
Yeah, I see what you are saying Muftak, but I don't think things are ever going to be what we want.  At least we don't have another POTJ Ellors Madak/Bespin Guard/Ketwol/Sabe ordeal on our hands (yet).

While I do like the theme-based waves, I wish they would always include at least one army-builder per wave.  Even if it's a repacked CT Stormtrooper or SA Clonetrooper.  I don't like seeing a situation like the CW first assortment with a ton of Yoda, Anakin and ARC Troopers (4 of each) in a case.  I wish they would make the cases something like this:

- 2 Han Solo
- 2 Princess Leia
- 2 Chewbacca
- 2 3PO
- 4 Stormtroopers

You know, at least 5-6 figures per wave.  I'm not sure what an idea formula should be, but you get the idea.

:P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 05:08 PM »
One figure they could repack in every wave as far as I'm concerned is the SA Clone.  It didn't get near enough distribution, and I know people would buy tons of 'em.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 09:25 AM »
At least we don't have another POTJ Ellors Madak/Bespin Guard/Ketwol/Sabe ordeal on our hands (yet).

If I'm remembering correctly, the only reason for the Duros wave glut was because they shipped it in two consecutive waves, swapping in Shmi and Training Obi-Wan as the newest "wave." It wasn't unti lthen that the Duros wave started sitting, and I think that proves my point excellently.

My ideal system would have waves of 3-4 new figures, a new wave every month, and that wave available in that case only. Let this go on until they've put out 24 figures for the year.

In the fall, Hasbro would switch to 2 different cases of 1 each of the figures that had come out all year, destined to be hitting shelves for Christmas time. This would offer holiday shoppers the biggest variety, let collectors catch up on anything they missed throughout the year, and offer the perfect opportunity to throw in running changes (along the lines of Hoth Han's coat switch).

I'm just a guy who buys toys, but I've watched the system enough to know this would solve a lot of the distribution problems Star Wars toys seem to encounter.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 04:56 PM »
That's a good idea, Muftak, and would work brilliantly this year with the DVD's.  Will all these great OT figs (Hoth, Jabba, etc.) be available for people who get reinterested by the DVD?  Should they have held the HoF until then so the OT core characters are right there waiting?  

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 10:57 AM »
The other problem with the current shipping practices is that with certain figures showing up in more than one assortment/case it makes it kind of difficult to buy cases without getting stuck with repeats.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 11:40 AM »
They figured it out right at the end of POTJ...for some reason they are going back to POTF2 again

Wave 4 (Jabba's Palace)
2x Lando Calrissian in Skiff Guard Disguise (NEW)
2x J' Quille - Jabba's Palace Alien (NEW)
2x Holographic Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight (NEW)
2x Shawda Ubb (Rappertunie) - Jabba's Palace Alien (NEW)
1x R1-G4
1x Hoth Trooper
1x Luke Skywalker - Hoth
1x Luke Skywalker - Return of the Jedi

Wave 5 (Battle of Yavin)
1x Elom (Tanus Spijek) - Jabba's Palace Alien (NEW)
2x Dutch Vander - Gold Leader (NEW)
2x TIE Fighter Pilot (NEW)
2x General Jan Dodonna - Battle of Yavin (NEW)
2x Captain Antilles - Fans Choice #5 (NEW)
1x Lando in Skiff Guard Disguise
1x J Quille - Jabba's Palace Alien
1x Hologram Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight

Why in the hell are they not releasing Elom in the Wave 4 case and are releasing Hoth Trooper for the thrid straight case???  Dump Hoth Luke and Trooper and go 2x Elom and 1x R1 and 1x Jabba Palace Luke...and then go 3x in the Yavin Case

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 02:13 PM »
i have not had much help in the themed waves either besides the 1st HOTH wave and that was about it, havent seen Tatooine at all. :-\
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 11:40 PM »
Hasbro is probably shipping the Hoth trooper in so many cases because we keep telling them we want more army builders more often - but this isn't the one, Hasbro.  Give us the SA Clone on Saga card instead.