Author Topic: Rate your job satisfaction...  (Read 5352 times)

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
Re: Rate your job satisfaction...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2004, 02:11 PM »
I'm actually really happy with my job. I work as a Lifegaurd at a summer camp. Free housing and food, I get to pass on my knowledge of swimming and lifesaving to the younger generations. Very fufilling.
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 03:42 AM »
I've probably only been at my new job for close to a month and a half and I absolutly loathe it, but I get along.  I just try to think the best and make the day go faster, but sometimes it just gets terrible.

I work part time at a Nursing Home, BTW, in the kitchen.  depending on my shifts, I am either washing dishes, sweeping/mopping floors, making juices, desserts, and various other help.  Of course, of the 15 or so people that work there I can only really tolerate an entire day with about 4 of them.  Most of them are 50 year old women with 10 kids, a drinking problem, and lazy husbands, so they come to work with their ****** attitude and take it out on everyone else.  

There is only one other guy who works there and he is a 65 year old pain in the royal arse who thinks NOBODY in that kitchen is better than him, unfortunatly he screws us up all the time.  

The supervisor should be hiring more help, but she doesnt, and instead fired one girl and let two quit within the past month so we've been working short all the time.  

then of course you have the wonderful residents who DEMAND DEMAND DEMAND.  Most of the residents of the home are fine and friendly and cooperative, but some of them are so demanding and hard to deal with.  

Its good pay, around $7hr, but with some of the BS i have to putup with isnt worth it sometimes.  

maybe someday I'll have my own business...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: May 5, 2005, 04:50 PM »
So...anyone ever had a job they liked and still thought about leaving?  I like my job (usually) but always wonder what else is out there, I just got a call asking for a phone interview.  Not sure what I'll do if I'm offered it :-\

It would also mean moving out of the Cities but still in MN.  Not sure how I feel about that totally either :-\ :-\

But, I've been doing the same thing for 8 years now and sort of have an itch to do something new (plus I still haven't gotten a raise, now going on 3 years :-\ :-\ :-\)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 5, 2005, 04:56 PM »
On a Scale of 1-10, I'd rate my new job an 8 :). Free food, good people, and such. It dropped though because they suddenly added 3 and 1/2 hours of extra work onto my work load. They want the resturant scrubbed clean every morning because the night crew is a bunch of lazy fellows. They cant even wipe off the bar, so I constantly have salt all over the floor that I have to sweep up, all the time. Oh well. But I do enjoy working there, because if I finish early, I get to go home early. But they just bounced my paycheck, so I gave it back to the boss, and she's gonna try and fix it, I suppose. :-\

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 5, 2005, 05:25 PM »
So...anyone ever had a job they liked and still thought about leaving?

I think my job is pretty decent: the people are reasonable, the schedule is flexible, it pays very well and it's a slower pace (I hate running of my feet - call me lazy, perhaps).  I also really enjoy the independence of not having a boss looking over my shoulder since I always work in the pharmacy by myself.

Despite that, I can't help wondering what other options there are.  My job certainly isn't fulfilling, I just kind of coast along doing what needs to be done.

Of course, I often think I really have nothing to complain about, but you've always got to wonder if the grass is greener on the other side, right?   :-\

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #20 on: May 5, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Overall, I like my job...but like any job it has it's moments.  I've been in the Air Force 12 years now...it's kind of nice to know that I could retire in less than 8 years if I chose to, but I'm thinking of sticking it out a little longer and retire with 25 years in...if I feel like I'm still making a difference and possibly retire as a Lt Col as opposed to Major if I get out at 20 years.

That being said, I was moved to a new squadron/weapon system and I feel like I'm completely starting over at this base.  I have just as much experience as the guy I've been crewed with, but sometimes I'm treated like I just fell off the turnip truck!  Although I like the people I work with, it's pretty clear that the squadron I was in previously was a much tighter group, and there are just some things that have been happening to me in my new squadron that would never have happened to me in my old squadron.  I can be pretty frustrating, but I try to look at it as an opportunity to bring my experience in and possibly change things for the better.

So...anyone ever had a job they liked and still thought about leaving? 

When I first enlisted in the Air Force, I worked in a high-tech electronics careerfield.  Since about 3 years ago when I got my commission and a job in Space & Missiles, not to mention a Top Secret Clearance, I've become even more marketable.  I have some friends who have gotten out of the Air Force, or have gotten comparable civilian jobs and make a lot more money than I have in the Air Force.  Those same friends have even tried to recruit me and have told me that their companies would hire me in a heartbeat.  I have to admit it's a good feeling, and the temptation is always there, but since I put so much time into the Air Force thus far, plus I'm doing important work and do enjoy it, that I'll at least stick it out 8 more years.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 5, 2005, 10:05 PM »
I love my job, I edit commercials on site, do motion graphics, animatics and so on...  I'm learning something new every day and I work with great people and it's within walking distance of my loft.   The only thing is the money.  I'm underpaid compared to my co-workers, mostly because I only have roughly a year of experience and not nearly the expertise that many of them have - but I still produce work that net's the company a lot of money and certainly deserve more than I currently earn.  But it will come eventually, there's lots of room for that kinda stuff in my situation.

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 5, 2005, 11:29 PM »
I don't have a job.  I'm quite satisfied by it.  Except for the lack of money.
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 6, 2005, 09:29 AM »
I would say on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best, my job is a 3.  I work at a cable company in the advertising department.  I schedule local commercials and I record and save them on our system for future playback.  I've been working there for five years and I get a raise every year, but it isn't much.  There really isn't much of a chance to advance.  I work with salespeople who are a-holes more often than not.  I pretty much have an "Office Space" thing going on.  I do my job just well enough to get everything done, but I have no motivation to do better other than the fear of losing my job.  I guess when it comes down to it, I'm bored with the job.  It is not a challenge at all.  I have ways of looking busy even though I'm not. 
I have been taking computer networking classes and I will finish this summer.  Hopefully I will find something more interesting soon. 

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 6, 2005, 12:36 PM »
I don't have a job.  I'm quite satisfied by it.  Except for the lack of money.

Same here. 

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 04:01 PM »
I've always worked as an admin. assistant for government contractors then and huge corporate law firm.  I hated both of them.  I liked being young and in a big city (D.C.) and there was always something going on with a group of people at work.  But I have to say, for the most part, attorneys are total asses to work with.  Glad I stuck it out though because I met my husband at the law firm.  I convinced him to quit a job he hated to do something he loves.  Before we got married we packed up all of our belongings and moved to NC to get into racing.  The hours and travelling were sometimes hard, but he's happy -- which makes all the difference in the world.  I love my job now -- stay-at-home-mom.  Never thought I'd do it but now that I have its the most fulfilling, albiet frustrating and underrated job I've ever loved.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 05:08 PM »
I work for the government. I love it. Served in the Gulf war AND Afghanistan. I have served for 13.5 years and need 9 more to go for retirement (that way when I retire my youngest will have graduated high school-and I won't have to feel bad about moving).

I have a plan to retire, collect my retirement and go get a second government job like mail service (something different, less challenging, more relaxing). Then retirement from that@ around 63 and be really done having 2 retirement checks to go on 8).

Since a few years ago the government relegallized doubledipping for the time being-it's my current plan.

Planning... yeah, that's a good thing- because if you wait/you're late!