Author Topic: SWG - Jump to Lightspeed  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
SWG - Jump to Lightspeed
« on: September 22, 2004, 11:53 AM »
Well...

I got into SW - JtL beta testing and have been flying around the last few nights.

It's safe to say that it is nothing like I thought it would be and is a disappointment after all the waiting and all the things (Combat Rebalance, Nerfed Professions, Revamops, Needed Content) that were delayed to get JtL out the door.

Once WoW hits, I might be done with Galaxies... unless I get my Jedi before then.

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 04:16 PM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

Re: SWG - Jump to Lightspeed Beta
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:52 PM »
Wow, I'm glad I didn't cling to the game in hopes of good things to come after the expansion.

Your complaints sound like the same things we were complaining about 6 months ago. We kept jumping in every day, hoping for some update that magically would set gameplay balance right, only to see further nerfing of just about everything the was "fun" in the game. The designers have this really stupid notion that any time players find something clever to do within the perameters of thier design, it's an exploit and it's immediately nerfed, and never seem to realize that the structure of the game itself is so poor that it's the root of all these problems. You can't design an open-ended game and run around with a hacksaw stopping players from doing things you didn't imagine they'd try or want to do 4 years ago when you slapped together half-assed profession, combat, and dungeon systems.

WoW, here I come.

SilverZ

Re: SWG - Jump to Lightspeed Beta
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 02:00 PM »
Speak of the devil, this just popped up on Gamasutra's job listings:

LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC
Date Posted: 09.22.04

Sr. Director of Star Wars Galaxies

Department: Star Wars Galaxies/Online
FLSA Status: Full-time, exempt

Job Purpose: To manage all aspects of the Star Wars Galaxies online business, from Product Development through Marketing, Public Relations, and Finance.

Major Responsibilities:
• Responsible for creating and managing a newly created business unit revolving around the Star Wars Galaxies line of products.
• Responsible for management of all aspects of both the Star Wars Galaxies Live Service and future expansions to ensure continued commercial success and encourage subscriber growth and increased customer retention.
• Drive the creation of long-term strategic, business and development plans for the Star Wars Galaxies line of products, then deliver on those plans.
• Maintain close communication with the outside developer to ensure they meet contractual requirements and deliver the highest quality product on schedule and on budget.
• Manage Production, Marketing, Public Relations and Finance staff assigned to the Star Wars Galaxies business unit.
• Work with the heads of Marketing and Sales to ensure the strongest possible synergy between product development and the marketing functions on SWG.
• Establish, maintain and enhance creative relationships with internal resources and the external developer. Foster positive working relationship and teamwork within the development teams with an emphasis on communication.
• At the President's discretion, serve as a source for general counsel on all business and development related issues at LucasArts.

Reporting:
• Reports into the President of LucasArts, and will have up to five direct reports.

Qualifications:

Education, Experience and Skills:

• Minimum six years of online game development management and production experience.
• Experience in subscription based online model; including and/or developing acquisition and retention programs.
• Excellent organizational communication and management skills with a strong desire to contribute to a unique creative environment. Must exhibit an affinity for online entertainment software and possess a strong sense of aesthetics applicable to producing high quality entertainment products.
• High achievement in leading creative talent in a fast paced production environment required. Must have successfully developed and managed people, resources and schedules with a world renown software entertainment company.
• Keen knowledge of software entertainment industry, game platforms and genres.
• Proven track record of bringing successful online interactive products to market and maintaining flourishing online service.
• Related Undergraduate degree, MA preferred.

Other: Travel required up to 25%

Heh, maybe they've realized there needs to be a change of management.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: SWG - Jump to Lightspeed
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 04:19 PM »
So,

I fell into the trap.

I picked up the Jump to Lightspeed Expansion today for $25 at Best Buy.

I've been playing the Beta and they really have changed a LOT of stuff that I didn't like about it back at the start of this thread.  They've got some non-attackable ships you can fly so you don't have to worry about being pwned by a bunch of 12-yr old d00ds. 

Also changed a lot of the skill tree too.  I figures, for $25 I'd give it a try with my "real" character and see what happens...

Anyone else pick up the expansion?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JasperFett

• Youngling
  • I am a mighty mandalorian
    • View Profile
Re: SWG - Jump to Lightspeed
« Reply #4 on: November 3, 2004, 01:32 AM »
 ::)It seems okay to me. I don't have too much of a problem with it. To me, it seems the expectations are too high sometimes