Multimedia > The Wookiee Arcade

Battlefront at Star Wars.com

(1/3) > >>

Jesse James:
Star Wars: Battlefront, a new Multiplayer Shooter game has made its initial official appearance around the web at (of all places) http://www.starwars.com/.

The game, to me, appears to be a Star Wars version of the immensely popular game, Battlefield 1942, which pits various Allies and Axis troops, tanks, planes, and other items against each other in multi-player gaming format.

Be sure to read the whole shebang right here at:

http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2004/01/news20040113.html

I personally am not fond of this type of game so I can safely say this is NOT tickling this gamer's fancy at the moment.  To me nothing can replace a single-player story driven game, and MP wears pretty thin after a while.

With that said, the title (for PC, X-Box, and PS2) shouldn't see its share of gamers who've been hell bent on playing a Star Wars version of BF1942 (Which has a conversion project for Star Wars actually in the works, and which is an all but useless effort now).

Here's some screenshots for you:

Nice AT-ST, and good graphics...  Shaping up to look decent at the least.

Nice lineup of Rebel troop types running around there too.

Still, I think a great Squad-based First Person shooter with a multi-player feature, but single-player based game would've been more welcome.  While Republic Commando's well in the works with what seems like something similar, I think fans are craving a classic trilogy Squad based FPS game to come out from somewhere.  

Since I've played Call of Duty (A WW2 FPS shooter), I've been itching to do some gaming in Star Wars, and in a similar fashion.  Levels that follow the war and have a purpose.  MP isn't gonna cut it for me though.  :(

Angry Ewok:
Very interesting looking. I'd love to take this game for a test-drive. I figure it'll be just like most other games these days, too linear.  :'(

Jesse James:
Couple articles for this game got linked to at Scum today...

It DOES have a SinglePlayer format, thank god, but I'm having doubts still about the quality.  Sounds like you mindlessly run around shooting people, and there's no structured goals for the game except to simply defeat all of your enemies...

No goals to attain beyond that, no puzzles to solve, little (or no) real strategy really...  

Graphics rock, and I reaplaced my desktop with a nifty shot of an AT-ST and Imp. Officer below it, but beyond that this game sounds like a BF1942 clone with a Single Player "game domination" mode that isn't a structured/storylined singleplayer game in the traditional sense.   >:(

Angry Ewok:
Why doesn't Lucasfilm put together a Star Wars game like Call Of Duty or something? I'm so damn irritated that my favorite Star Wars game (on console) is still Rogue Squadron for the N64.  >:(

dustrho:
I got the newsletter in my email from Lucasarts today, and I am really impressed with how this game looks.  I just hope the gameplay is as good as the graphics.

How about those Biker Scouts?  They look sweet!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version