Author Topic: Battlefront at Star Wars.com  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Battlefront at Star Wars.com
« on: January 14, 2004, 02:32 AM »
Star Wars: Battlefront, a new Multiplayer Shooter game has made its initial official appearance around the web at (of all places) http://www.starwars.com/.

The game, to me, appears to be a Star Wars version of the immensely popular game, Battlefield 1942, which pits various Allies and Axis troops, tanks, planes, and other items against each other in multi-player gaming format.

Be sure to read the whole shebang right here at:

http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2004/01/news20040113.html

I personally am not fond of this type of game so I can safely say this is NOT tickling this gamer's fancy at the moment.  To me nothing can replace a single-player story driven game, and MP wears pretty thin after a while.

With that said, the title (for PC, X-Box, and PS2) shouldn't see its share of gamers who've been hell bent on playing a Star Wars version of BF1942 (Which has a conversion project for Star Wars actually in the works, and which is an all but useless effort now).

Here's some screenshots for you:

Nice AT-ST, and good graphics...  Shaping up to look decent at the least.

Nice lineup of Rebel troop types running around there too.

Still, I think a great Squad-based First Person shooter with a multi-player feature, but single-player based game would've been more welcome.  While Republic Commando's well in the works with what seems like something similar, I think fans are craving a classic trilogy Squad based FPS game to come out from somewhere.  

Since I've played Call of Duty (A WW2 FPS shooter), I've been itching to do some gaming in Star Wars, and in a similar fashion.  Levels that follow the war and have a purpose.  MP isn't gonna cut it for me though.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Battlefront at Star Wars.com
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 02:38 AM »
Very interesting looking. I'd love to take this game for a test-drive. I figure it'll be just like most other games these days, too linear.  :'(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 01:00 AM »
Couple articles for this game got linked to at Scum today...

It DOES have a SinglePlayer format, thank god, but I'm having doubts still about the quality.  Sounds like you mindlessly run around shooting people, and there's no structured goals for the game except to simply defeat all of your enemies...

No goals to attain beyond that, no puzzles to solve, little (or no) real strategy really...  

Graphics rock, and I reaplaced my desktop with a nifty shot of an AT-ST and Imp. Officer below it, but beyond that this game sounds like a BF1942 clone with a Single Player "game domination" mode that isn't a structured/storylined singleplayer game in the traditional sense.   >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 01:52 PM »
Why doesn't Lucasfilm put together a Star Wars game like Call Of Duty or something? I'm so damn irritated that my favorite Star Wars game (on console) is still Rogue Squadron for the N64.  >:(

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 07:43 PM »
I got the newsletter in my email from Lucasarts today, and I am really impressed with how this game looks.  I just hope the gameplay is as good as the graphics.

How about those Biker Scouts?  They look sweet!!!
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2004, 02:24 AM »
I guess this news is old (It is to me I know, probably to you too), but there's a trailer up for battlefront at Lucasarts if you're wanting to check it out.

It's not much, but it's a taste...  The game looks like a GREAT engine for a game based in single-player action, but I still just can't get into multi-player.

To me, a game's gotta have story and depth to be interesting, MP doesn't have that generally.  They're saying Battlefront WILL have a Single Player Feature though, but whether it's a full game or just a cobbled together thing so you can play by yourself to practice, I do not know.

Maybe I'll be surprised by this one?  Probably not though.

bring on Republic Commando though!   :P  May be a prequal game, but I wanna be a Republic Trooper in a FPS.  Finally, no more freakin' lightsabers and Force power crap.  Just good old fashioned fraggin' people with a blaster.

Offline genraljake

• Banned
  • Youngling
  • im a big star wars collector with no friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 6, 2004, 09:10 AM »
im getting that soon

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 06:32 PM »
Can I ask a really stupid question here?  I don't know jack about some of the current gaming things going on, but have had an interest in picking up some of the new Star Wars titles coming out, including Battlefront (for the figure too), since they look so cool.  I'm just curious if this is going to ONLY be a multi-player game, or if I can just play it by myself if I wanted to.  For whatever reason, I don't like the multi-player, interactive online games, or whatever you want to call them.  I'm much happier with just me and my computer.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 11:59 PM »
I would say, in short, that the game's squarely aimed at Multi-Player and that any Single-Player gaming is highly limited.

IE: No story, no comprehensive successive levels that lead to a goal, etc...  Not a typical SP game really.

Battlefront is, from my POV, shaping up to be nothing more than a clone of Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield: Vietnam...  Good games, but not aimed at the SP gamer. 

Perhaps Lucasarts will commission a "BattleFront: The Series" kinda game...  Something that clones the Call of Duty or Medal of Honor series, which are intense, semi-realistic, and fun squad-combat FPS games with a Single-Player Focus.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 02:17 PM »
Perhaps Lucasarts will commission a "BattleFront: The Series" kinda game...  Something that clones the Call of Duty or Medal of Honor series, which are intense, semi-realistic, and fun squad-combat FPS games with a Single-Player Focus.

I love Medal of Honor and I play Call of Duty alot... CoD has a great multiplayer and singleplayer... If only Lucasarts could do something that nice and focus only on the OT, instead of trying to do the PT and OT. I think the problem with BF is that it'll bite off more than its team can chew.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #10 on: September 2, 2004, 09:10 PM »
They just updated and now have the message boards and the leaderboard section accessible.  Message boards are useable and the leader board looks ready for kickoff once the product is released
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline JasperFett

• Youngling
  • I am a mighty mandalorian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 03:02 AM »
 ;DI think this game is going to rule. I just have a feeling that it will.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 01:14 AM »
I would say, in short, that the game's squarely aimed at Multi-Player and that any Single-Player gaming is highly limited.

IE: No story, no comprehensive successive levels that lead to a goal, etc...  Not a typical SP game really.

Beh, not really dude.  There's plenty of strategy.  On one player galaxy conquest you have to decide which planet to attack and when and on each planet which order to attack the different outposts, totally up to you, and the best strategy for defending them.  There are comprehensive successive levels with various rewards, you can even use the Death Star to blow up a planet of your choosing  if you pass enough successive levels.  I recommend.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda