Author Topic: Have You Ever Considered?  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Have You Ever Considered?
« on: January 14, 2004, 11:47 AM »
Collecting OT-based figures/vehicles, etc. only?  Awhile back, after reading through the Return of the King movie thread, it seemed like many of us really felt the the prequel movies have been sub-par, especially when compared the the OT and the LOTR franchise.  Although I don't think I could ever totally quit buying prequel figures...and I know I'll be there opening night for Episode III, I will admit that I have considered collecting only original trilogy stuff from time to time.  I guess the thought comes up more now with 2004 focusing so highly on the OT, and all of the figures so far looking fantastic.  Like I said, I do enjoy all things Star Wars (prequel or original), and will most likely continue to collect both....I will say the thought has entered my mind from time to time (space and collecting funds are other issues that have made me consider it).  At times I have also thought of only buying prequel figures that have a clear connection to the OT (for example...Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin, Clone/Stormtroopers, 3PO and R2, soon to be Chewie, etc.)  The 3 3/4" line is really the only one that I do buy most of, with the Playskool sets I bought only the OT ones, with the Unleashed (for the most part) it has been the same.  I certainly don't mean to offend any PT fans, I really enjoy the movies too..and have plenty of figures from each of them so far, it was just something I had thought about after reading some posts over the past couple of months.  Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you have ever considered this as well?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Have You Ever Considered?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 12:11 PM »
I have but then I think...I'm so close to the end, why stop now.  After Episode III, I think I'll become a little more picky...never before done characters especially OT and the like.  I'm done with Vehicles and playsets though, no room to put them anywhere

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 12:47 PM »
That's pretty much the same way I feel from time to time Scott.  Plus, Episode III might end up being the best of the prequel movies too.  It seems to get a little better each time it gets closer to "original trilogy time" :).  I've had to start skipping vehicles and playsets too, I just don't have the room.  Might have to pack a few away as well.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 01:26 PM »
To me, the figures represent the visual end of Star Wars.  And while I I do really enjoy the PT, I think the prequels are lacking in character and focus. However, they are everything I ever dreamed of visually.  The designs are top notch.  So, no, I never considered not buying prequel figures.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 04:07 PM »
Am I an OT snob?  Hmm, I'm not sure.  

I was pumped to see Ep I in the theaters and loved (most) of it the first time I saw it.  I couldn't wait to get back a second time.  There were moments in the film that I did not enjoy (Jarjar, the he has no father line.  But overall I liked it.  I was thrilled to see the toys in the store.  Being in Canada, roughly a year or so post movie, the toy line essentially dries up.  It is a thrill to go to a store and be able to actually buy figures and not pay shipping costs.  

Episode II previews got me pumped again.  They looked awesome.  For the most part, outside of the Sound of Music theme in the movie, I enjoyed Ep II immensely.  Obi vs Jango was cool with a good fight and a good space battle.  The stuff on Geonosis was cool and Yoda with a light saber made my jaw drop and made me laugh, at the same time.  Toys again showed up at retail and it looks like the same will happen for Ep III.

Are there toys I wish I had never bought?  Can you say Ric Olie?  I knew you could.  I sort of think at times I should have passed on the Anakin figures, but that is baby Vader after all.  I think the quality on the battle droids sucked but I have several.  

The best thing I did was start opening toys.  It allowed me to pass on items that are simply recarded and frankly, that saves me a lot of money.  I still keep some things carded, but mostly main characters and not surprisingly, OT.  Luke, Vader and the like.  But invariably I have an open piece as well.  

Vehicles and beasts are a different story.  I overpaid for the Acklay (impatient), paid retail for Nexu and got he Reek for a steal.  Such a steal I have way too many, anyone need one?  For vehicles, it depends entirely what it is.  There was never any doubt I would get a shuttle, just what it would finally end up costing (thanks Matt).  PT vehicles?  Um, depends on what it is and whether it is on sale.  Beasts and vehicles are where I get snobby towards the PT.  I own no vehicles from I and have Slave I, jedi starfighter and the two speeders (yes, I regret it) from II.  I do also own a republic gunship, but only the first version.  None of the other ships appeal to me, though if someone offered them up for $5-10 I'd probably grab them. If I never own Anakin's starfighter, the redeco'd gunship and hailfire droid, it won't matter to me.  

With Lego I am entirely a PT snob.  I own only OT stuff and regularly walk by PT Lego on sale.  Even with the mini's I have yet to buy the PT stuff from the second series though I will so I can complete my Y-wing.  Strangely I do want the sith infiltrator from the third series.  

I think I only really became a PT snob when I started hanging out here ;) :-*  I enjoyed the PT movies, just not so much as the OT movies.  Might be age, probably partly story.  The PT lacks the humour and camp of the OT.  All of that was subtle, not forced, in the OT.  The PT seems contrived too much.  Again, Lucas can blow us away completely with Episode III and I dearly hope he does.  It won't matter if he does or doesn't though, I'll still buy the toys.  I just hope the Empire has expanded enough to have pre-Tie Fighter style ships though.  Gunships are fun, but we need space combat back in those movies.  Love to see Lando and the Falcon....
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 04:19 PM »
Im not really into buying a select section of any toy line! I buy what I like! Most people collect for the worth, or for the investment...I just collect because I want them, and they bring me joy! Nothing is better than opening a new figure youve wanted! I couldnt just collect OT or PT. I like several things from both!

Just my two cents.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 05:04 PM »
I have not stopped buying PT figures yet, but I have considered it.... especially as funds and space become more and more of an issue.   Looks like I'll have another year to decide.   I have stopped buying PT vehicles.   Last things I bought were the Arena, Obi's starfighter,  and first Republic Gunship.  I skipped out on Anakin's starfighter, the redeco'd gunship, the Geonosian fighter, and the hailfire droid.   I probably won't ever pick those up unless they just land in my lap by winning a contest or something like that.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 06:43 PM »
Collecting OT-based figures/vehicles, etc. only?  Awhile back, after reading through the Return of the King movie thread, it seemed like many of us really felt the the prequel movies have been sub-par, especially when compared the the OT and the LOTR franchise.  Although I don't think I could ever totally quit buying prequel figures...and I know I'll be there opening night for Episode III, I will admit that I have considered collecting only original trilogy stuff from time to time.  I guess the thought comes up more now with 2004 focusing so highly on the OT, and all of the figures so far looking fantastic.  Like I said, I do enjoy all things Star Wars (prequel or original), and will most likely continue to collect both....I will say the thought has entered my mind from time to time (space and collecting funds are other issues that have made me consider it).  At times I have also thought of only buying prequel figures that have a clear connection to the OT (for example...Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin, Clone/Stormtroopers, 3PO and R2, soon to be Chewie, etc.)  The 3 3/4" line is really the only one that I do buy most of, with the Playskool sets I bought only the OT ones, with the Unleashed (for the most part) it has been the same.  I certainly don't mean to offend any PT fans, I really enjoy the movies too..and have plenty of figures from each of them so far, it was just something I had thought about after reading some posts over the past couple of months.  Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you have ever considered this as well?

Everyday I think the same thing.  But like Scott mentioned, the end is so close, and I know I will regret if I dont finish out this collection. I used to collect re-released figs on different cards, but that has ended.  I also used to keep one of everything carded and loose.  The only exception now are the figs, and like I said, no re-releases.   On a side note, how many people cant wait for this to end?  Sounds crazy but I am.  Dont get me wrong.  This has been alot of fun, but also alot of time, money and space.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 06:51 PM »
Most people collect for the worth, or for the investment...

Wow, that's a pretty bold, and highly inaccurate statement there Kevin...   :-\  Of all the people I've met around the various Star Wars collecting forums, toy stores, conventions, etc., I think only one or two of them actually seemed to collect more for worth/investment than just for fun.  The other 99% just collected for the joy of it.

I hope you're not equating either carded collectors and/or completists as people who are collecting for those aforementioned wrong reasons, since those just happen to be the methods that appeal more to their personal tastes.  I don't want to turn this into a carded vs. loose debate or an avid "completist" issue, but I'm not sure how else to take your comment there...   ???

As for Brian's actual topic at hand here, I've definitely pondered the idea of not collecting the prequel stuff, since I generally think those two movies weren't too great.  But it is still one entire Saga after all, so I'll continue collecting the sum of it's parts.  Like Scott said, I'm too far into things now to throw in the towel at this late juncture.  I'll just continue to stick it out, which is being made easier these days (and in the upcoming year) since there's a preponderance of OT product on the way and Hasbro seems to have noticed that the OT stuff probably sells better than PT, which is cool with me.

On a related note though, I do slim down my collecting habits immensely when it comes to PT stuff.  4" figure-wise, I only pick up one figure for the carded collection and one figure for the loose collection - that's it (one of each vehicle/playset/etc. too).  Whereas with the OT figures, I'll get my obligatory carded and loose specimens, and then I'll often pick up several extras of each figure (to open), and many extras of OT army builders, ships, etc. for future dioramas.  It goes without saying that I get much greater joy out of the OT stuff, and that the PT items are just kind of along for the ride (and to satisfy my Obsessive Completist Collecting Disorder).   :-[

But I have managed to cut Prequel items out of most other areas of my Star Wars collecting, such as Legos, Action Fleet and Micro Machines, and any other number of collecting subsets.  So I'm at least saving myself a little bit there...

But I think the fact that Hasbro is relagating the vast majority of 2004 to OT product really says alot about what they think the market wants, even when there's many still unmade Prequel figures, and that's just fine by me!   8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 07:16 PM »
The wrench in the PT not-buying much ideal is Clone Troopers.  

Curse Hasbro for putting out varied multipacks, preview clones, red clones, super-articulated clones.  They are, after all, just pre-stormtroopers.   :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 08:48 PM »
I've never really considered it until recently, but a large part of the appeal of these figures is the costumes and designs and the characters, and those haven't slumped from the OT to the PT IMO.  

I have come to the point where if I don't like a character or don't recognize one, I won't buy it.  The background/obscure PT figs don't interest me as much as the OT ones do.  That's mostly nostalgia, but hey.  The Waitress Droid and the Nightclub patrons for example didn't do it for me.  Figs like Adm. Ozzel and Madine and any boring old guy really don't either, but a lot of these great OT figs we're getting in 2004 I've been waiting for since the 80's.  

The only real 'wants' from the OT for me are Dorme, some more Jedi, all the Amidala's, and clones.  More clones.    ;D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 10:10 PM »
My statement didnt go as had planned. By saying "most people who collect for the worth or investment" what I meant to say was "Most people who collect for the worth or investment seem like boring people to me..." I was typing fast, and that happens to me as you'll probobly notice in some of my posts. Cant get the message out. LOL.

Sorry for the Mix Up. :-*

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 11:09 PM »
Sorry for the Mix Up. :-*

No prob Kevin...   ;)  Just makes me annoyed as well as sad when any fellow collectors have a less than positive opinion on the majority of their fellow collectors, especially as it relates to "worth/value" topics...  Glad to see that's not the case here.  Yeah, there are certainly some folks out there who are tied up in that type of thing, but to be honest, I don't really consider them "collectors".

Alrighty then, excuse the interruption here and let's get back to bagging on the Prequels!   :P  I guess in a way, I'm happy to have the Prequel figures as well, since they obviously help to keep the line going.  We'd run out of OT characters pretty quickly if that's all Hasbro was making.  As little as I care for the PT figures, I'd still like to see Hasbro make the rest of remaining characters, just 'cause I enjoy "completeness" in all things.  Give me some more Padmes, Jedi, Podracers, etc.  Just not at the expense of some much more cool Cantina or Jabba's Palace aliens is all...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 11:14 PM »
Bad news for those hoping there is an end in sight

From theforce.net...

EP3: SPOILER Also Signed for Sequel Trilogy?
Wed, Jan 14, 04 05:10:30 PM EST

Rob tells us that the December 2003 issue of the British movie mag HOTDOG has just hit the stands here in the U.S. and found several cool Star Wars related things. In particular, on page 12, here's this possibly amazing passage:
"No wonder  SPOILER is smiling. Not only has he been rescued from obscurity and given the chance to reprise his role as SPOLIER for Episode III, but his contract also stipulates that he'd be required to appear in Episodes 7, 8, and 9.
Yes folks, seems there are actual whispers at Lucasfilm that the 'sequel' trilogy might be in the works..."

In addition, there's a cool spoiler page (though nothing new for TheForce.net regulars) with a great caricature of Hayden as Anakin/Vader. The cover "story" is a list of the "50 Coolest Movie Characters Ever". #22 is Boba Fett, #13 is Indiana Jones, and #3 is Darth Vader! There's also a "Brief History of Time" according to the movies. It begins with "A Long Time Ago".

Please. Be. True. Of course, remember that the official word from Lucasfilm has been and is currently "no." We'll email them for a comment on the story and post any updates here.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 11:26 PM »
yes, i have all the time it sucks, it really does!!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)