Community > Watto's Junk Yard

Official Television Thread

<< < (64/113) > >>

Scockery:
Anyone watch DEFIANCE? Anyone? An actual sci-fi series on SyFy. Not too bad, more ambitious than most of their efforts. Plot seemed a little TERRA NOVA, which was barely watchable.

efranks:
Yeah, I watched it.  I wasn't impressed.  It wasn't completely terrible, and I plan on watching more to see where it goes, but it felt like old territory being covered with some of it.  The main guy, Nolan, is just a rolled up version of Mal Reynolds, Han Solo, and half a dozen other archetypes we've seen before...quite often done better.

We've seen the story before from shows such as DS9 and Babylon 5 and a few others.  I thought the CGI was bad in some places and downright terrible in others making me wonder if they really tried to pass that off on us or if they were letting it look like the video game it's tied into.

I'm just hoping it doesn't get any worse, that we maybe see some improvement.

E...

JediJman:
I watched the premiere and thought it was okay.  I'll give it a few more chances since there isn't much else on right now. I was okay with the premise and the main characters are pretty good outside of the over-acting doctor.  I hope they cover more backstory on the invasion though.  I don't get why shows like this want to focus on 15 years after the really exciting cool stuff happened.  I don't want to see society rebuild - I want to see society obliterated, what people did to try to survive, what battles were able to turn the tide. 

I give it a solid C thus far.

Jayson:
I watched the premiere as well and wasn't overly impressed. I agree with a lot of what's been said.

Nolan is a cookie cutter character, your basic rogue-turned-leader trope. The effects were god awful at times but decent at other points. I wholeheartedly agree that the too many shows employ the "aftermath" story telling device.

And what is the deal with the topography of St. Louis?

The acting is pretty good though, I like how Nolan is played, and Julie Benz as the mayor is entertaining. I'll give the show a few more viewings but I don't suspect I'm going to be in for the long haul.

Scockery:

--- Quote from: Jayson on April 19, 2013, 11:39 AM ---IAnd what is the deal with the topography of St. Louis?

--- End quote ---

Earth has been at least partially terraformed. (Which is strange term in this case, terra means "earth".)

There's a lot of unanswered stuff.

The guy that played Nolan was in some terrible made for SyFy zombie movie set in Reno.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version