Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154653 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Bronys...there's a ton of them over on the transformer site I post on.  I've actually tried watching the show but I just don't get it.

Sadly, I have seen it a few times myself, enough to know it is a terrible show for young girls. Those ponies have some severe emotional problems...they're always ripping into each other over some stupid BS. Whoever writes that drek must have traumatic memories of childhood.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 16, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Caught Toy Hunter last night, and really enjoyed it.  I did see the pilot episode they aired back in the spring sometime, so I'm glad they brought it back for more.  It is obviously more geared towards older/vintage toys, but the majority of the stuff is right in our wheelhouse with the 70s/80s focus.  Plus, Jordan found a couple of rare TF pieces in the 2nd episode last night that he sold to a friend/TF collector at the end - and that guy had just a ridiculous TF collection.  Its always fun seeing things like that.

I'm not saying I don't love the modern toys (because Lord knows I buy plenty of them), but seeing a lot of this vintage stuff reminds me of how fun toys were back then.  Toys really were "toys", and not collectibles (at that time anyways) and there really are a lot of fun play feature stuff incorporated to make things fun for kids.  Not saying I don't appreciate how far things have come with sculpting, articulation, paint, etc....but those older toys do have that sort of "magic" to them.  Particularly when they show items from the lines I grew up with....Star Wars, Joes, TF, MOTU, Secret Wars, and Super Powers.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 16, 2012, 04:43 PM »
What channel is that on?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 16, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Did anyone catch "Collection Intervention" last night on SyFy?  I DVRd it and got a chance to watch it this morning, sort of interesting.  The first episode focuses on a Star Wars collector (as well as a Catwoman collector), and it deals with "managing" a collection and keeping it from an obsession.  Basically, they get them to sell some things off and come to terms with letting a collection take over their life.  Anyways, a good watch, but maybe not for your wife/husband/significant other ;).  It looks like it is being replayed several times over the next week or so.  The Star Wars portion ends up at Rancho Obi-Wan, which was kind of neat (and they do have a pretty impressive SW collection).

I just watched it online: Disturbance in the Force

Must say that was a big I need a puke icon here, let alone staged!  Consetta Parker   <-------------------- See that link to the left, have a good clicky! Oy!  :-\

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 16, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Did anyone catch "Collection Intervention" last night on SyFy?  I DVRd it and got a chance to watch it this morning, sort of interesting.  The first episode focuses on a Star Wars collector (as well as a Catwoman collector), and it deals with "managing" a collection and keeping it from an obsession.  Basically, they get them to sell some things off and come to terms with letting a collection take over their life.  Anyways, a good watch, but maybe not for your wife/husband/significant other ;).  It looks like it is being replayed several times over the next week or so.  The Star Wars portion ends up at Rancho Obi-Wan, which was kind of neat (and they do have a pretty impressive SW collection).

Did they make Sansweet sell of some of his collection? They don't make the rich obsessive sell of his stuff but the poor one has to instead.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 16, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Did they make Sansweet sell of some of his collection?

I was wondering that myself.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2012, 10:28 AM »
I just watched it online: Disturbance in the Force

Must say that was a big I need a puke icon here, let alone staged!  Consetta Parker   <-------------------- See that link to the left, have a good clicky! Oy!  :-\

I didn't even realize that she was an employee of Rancho, that is a little suspect then.  Too bad, it was fun seeing her collection and everything.

I think someone asked earlier, but Toy Hunter is on the Travel Channel.  Pretty good show, and definitely fun seeing those old toys.  I can't believe how much stuff some of these people have that he buys from.  I thought I had a lot (too many) toys, then I see people like this and realize it isn't as bad as I thought. :)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2012, 11:02 AM »
I caught what might have been the first episode of Toy Hunter last night unless I was late to the game.  Not sure I'd want that dude cherry picking through my collection, but it's a pretty neat show and has been added to the lineup.  Nice to see some older/rare toys as well.

Decent size collections...ya makes me wonder if I really am a hoarder so I'm not sure I want to see that collector intervention show or not.  One guy had a baby on the way and his wife wanted his collection out to make room for a nursery and he had just boxes and boxes and boxes of crap everywhere and had a hard enough time just parting with 1 single toy.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 17, 2012, 11:02 AM »
That was me - thanks for the info!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 17, 2012, 06:31 PM »
I wouldn't mind having this Collection Intervention lady to come and deal with the headache of selling the 12", Unleashed and SW Transformers segments out of my collection - especially since she seems to think things have higher value then what they really do...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 17, 2012, 11:47 PM »
What is it we spend our lives collecting things that make us happy and then someone wants us to get rid of it?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2012, 02:20 PM »
I like "Toy Hunters", but

I think the "Collection Intervention" show was bad. The host's view on collecting, I think, is horrible.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I like "Toy Hunters", but

I think the "Collection Intervention" show was bad. The host's view on collecting, I think, is horrible.

I sort of got that vibe as well, but I wasn't sure if it was because I was looking at it as a collector or not.  I enjoy it from the standpoint of seeing everyone's stuff, and I do see where collecting can cross over into obsessing, so I can see why some people may have troubles with that from time to time.  The fact that it could possibly be a bit staged (as evidenced by the posts above) kind of stinks though.

I did watch this with the Mrs. though, and I can't say it helped my case any ;).  She's always been pretty supportive of my collecting, particularly early on, but as things have continued to accumulate for 10+ years, I think the patience has lessened a bit, and I totally understand that.  When it started out, it was 30 or so figures, a few ships, and that was it.  Over time it has blossomed to a room full (and branched out to things other than SW), several storage totes full, etc.  I am understanding of it though, and that's why I'm trying to cut back and condense things more as I can (still working on that).  That show, while interesting, doesn't help things any though.  Everything the host says is "that's totally you" even though I have nowhere near the things these people do.  Collector mentality I guess.

We also watch Toy Hunter, which is a lot of fun.  The only problem with watching that show with the Mrs. is "look how much money they can get for these toys", where as much of what I have is opened, modern, and (mostly) worthless.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:10 AM by Brian »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Just read this morning that the upcoming season of "The Office" will be its last.

Hooray!

They just came to this conclusion 2 years too late.

I've watched the show religiously since it debuted, but it has become a real effort since Steve left. It actually wasn't even that great with him the last couple of seasons.

I just hope someone comes to their senses/sobers up and put the kibosh on that rumored Dwight spin-off.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37 AM »
I used to watch all the time when it first came out but haven't done so the last few years.  I guess they're going to explain why it was "filmed" as a documentary and who was filming it.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN