Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154663 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #315 on: April 18, 2013, 11:39 PM »
Anyone watch DEFIANCE? Anyone? An actual sci-fi series on SyFy. Not too bad, more ambitious than most of their efforts. Plot seemed a little TERRA NOVA, which was barely watchable.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 18, 2013, 11:50 PM »
Yeah, I watched it.  I wasn't impressed.  It wasn't completely terrible, and I plan on watching more to see where it goes, but it felt like old territory being covered with some of it.  The main guy, Nolan, is just a rolled up version of Mal Reynolds, Han Solo, and half a dozen other archetypes we've seen before...quite often done better.

We've seen the story before from shows such as DS9 and Babylon 5 and a few others.  I thought the CGI was bad in some places and downright terrible in others making me wonder if they really tried to pass that off on us or if they were letting it look like the video game it's tied into.

I'm just hoping it doesn't get any worse, that we maybe see some improvement.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 19, 2013, 11:20 AM »
I watched the premiere and thought it was okay.  I'll give it a few more chances since there isn't much else on right now. I was okay with the premise and the main characters are pretty good outside of the over-acting doctor.  I hope they cover more backstory on the invasion though.  I don't get why shows like this want to focus on 15 years after the really exciting cool stuff happened.  I don't want to see society rebuild - I want to see society obliterated, what people did to try to survive, what battles were able to turn the tide. 

I give it a solid C thus far.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #318 on: April 19, 2013, 11:39 AM »
I watched the premiere as well and wasn't overly impressed. I agree with a lot of what's been said.

Nolan is a cookie cutter character, your basic rogue-turned-leader trope. The effects were god awful at times but decent at other points. I wholeheartedly agree that the too many shows employ the "aftermath" story telling device.

And what is the deal with the topography of St. Louis?

The acting is pretty good though, I like how Nolan is played, and Julie Benz as the mayor is entertaining. I'll give the show a few more viewings but I don't suspect I'm going to be in for the long haul.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25 PM »
IAnd what is the deal with the topography of St. Louis?

Earth has been at least partially terraformed. (Which is strange term in this case, terra means "earth".)

There's a lot of unanswered stuff.

The guy that played Nolan was in some terrible made for SyFy zombie movie set in Reno.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 30, 2013, 07:45 PM »
I missed this news, but a week or so ago, Futurama got cancelled again, this time by Comedy Central. The creators say they will shop the show around. There's 13 new episodes airing starting June 19 on Comedy Central.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #321 on: April 30, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Comedy Central could **** up any sure thing they ever have.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #322 on: April 30, 2013, 10:19 PM »
I'm thinking it could surviveon Netflix
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 1, 2013, 09:12 AM »
I can't believe I am saying this, but that show really needs to end. The first season on Comedy Central felt a novelty, but it has been utter crap since then. And this is coming from a guy who never missed a single episode when it ran on Fox. I really loved that show back in the day but feel completely unmotivated to look for it now. I can't believe there are really that many people still clamoring for it.

On another note, ABC announced Zero Hour and 666 Park Avenue will be airing their remaining episodes on Saturdays starting in June. (I watched both shows and even I have no interest in seeing these anymore) 

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 1, 2013, 01:01 PM »
I'll admit Futurama wasn't what it was on FOX. They've still made a few good episodes since, and a few "too currently politically relevant to hold up over time" ones.

On the other hand, as the show goes,  it seems they make Fry stupider, Zoidberg grosser and more pathetic just for gags, it might be time to end it.

I'd keep watching it, anyway. I still watch the Simpsons, which really should've ended 10 years ago, but occassionally shows glimmers of the good old days (the Movie was lame).

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 4, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Somehow the Simpsons has been on for 25 years and now gets its own theme park land at Universal Studios Orlando. How did this happen? Does anyone really watch this show anymore?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #326 on: May 4, 2013, 05:38 PM »
I watch every week.  It still makes me laugh on a regular basis.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 5, 2013, 02:07 PM »
I watch every week.  It still makes me laugh on a regular basis.

AMEN. Greatest show ever.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 6, 2013, 09:07 AM »
I still watch it every week too but would not be disappointed at all to see it go away. I've been on board since Episode 1 but I can't honestly say I enjoy it all that much anymore. I can say that about pretty much all TV shows though with the exception of Walking Dead and Archer. Everything else just seems like a chore.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 15, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Is anybody still watching Defiance?  Obviously a few weeks ago some folks were.

I'm still into the show and actually enjoy watching it for what it is.  When it first came out, I was hoping for something on the epic scale of Battlestar Galactica, especially when I saw the names of some of the production crew and their credits.  I didn't realize for a while this was a show spun from a video game.

So character development is what it is.  Nothing too deep and very predictable characters, but not all bad IMO.  I've been thinking of this show in the same light as Firefly.  I loved that series and didn't actually watch it until I caught all of it on Netflix last summer.  Defiance isn't really hokey or anything, just a fun show with an easy story to follow, much in line with the idea of "adventure of the week."  I appreciate having just mindless TV from time to time as I don't always want to think about a show.  So much like Firefly, it's somewhat predictable, decent characters that aren't really developed, but you know their feelings and to some degree you care about them.

All in all, I'm liking the series.  I DVR it and watch it later in the week when I've got a chance to sit still for a bit.  I'm not sure how many episodes there are in this season, but I'm kind of hoping for more next season.

Edit to add:  It looks like it was renewed for a second, 13 episode season in 2014.  It looks like the ratings have been pretty good for SyFy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:48 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.