Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154693 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #360 on: October 10, 2013, 09:27 AM »
I'm still watching it, the shiny newness has worn off a little, and my enthusiasm has waned, but I'm sticking it out. It's starting to feel like a bad "Fringe" rip-off at this point though.

I tie it all back to the central problem with this show. You can't have a show set in the Marvel Universe with no actual super heroes or super villains. Otherwise it just gets tiresome quickly. No more nameless scientists, rich magnates, etc. I want guys in costumes robbing banks!

I think some suit at the studio fears the first sight of spendex will make the show a mockery. Screw that. Be true to the source material!

And where the hell is Dum Dum Dugan?!?!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18 AM »
I'll stick with it another week...then a shift change at my work, I won't be home to watch....will I bother to watch it On Demand? Dunno.

I watched The Tomorrow People...it was better when it was a movie called JUMPER (yes, I know there was a 70's Tomorrow People, but I never saw it). There was no sublty in the pilot episode, villain is obviously villain, good guys are clearly good guys. Well filmed, but lifeless. Another Amnell brother whose acting is more irritating than Stephen's.

ARROW is back and now Ollie is trying not to kill the criminals. BOO!!! I guess that's more like the comics, but it leads to silly tying up baddies for cops to find scenes. Summer Glau is now on the show, so the series will be cancelled within a year anyway.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 10, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Does anybody watch Meet the Goldbergs? I had moderate hopes for the show and then the first episode was not very enticing but I stuck around for a second episode that was mediocre.  I tried to watch a third last night and made it halfway through before deleting it from the DVR.

It is very Wonder Years like, but not as good.  It was an 80's type show so I was really hoping it would keep my interest.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #363 on: October 15, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Homeland is always kind of a mixed bag... but what a dull, frustrating episode this week.  The two leads with their assorted captors for the entire hour with basically nothing resolved?  Excellent performances (as usual), but kind of a snorefest.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2013, 02:02 PM »
Anyone catch the SOA finale last night? Christ, it's turning into GoT (which I've never actually watched) with the body count.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 12, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Oh man, yeah...that was BRUTAL. Gemma don't play! That show keeps upping the ante somehow, good stuff.

Kind of at the halfway point now for the 2013 TV season overall, some random thoughts:

Outside of Walking Dead, I can't think of any other show I'm enjoying more right now than American Horror Story. Terrific scenery-chewing acting chops, horrifically entertaining over-the-top violence (melon-baller to the eye FTW!) and a plot that continues to twist and evolve with every episode. Loving this season.

Best newcomer award goes to The Blacklist, I love the instant gratification that comes with getting the bad guy every week, not to mention the smug perfection of James Spader simply being better than everyone else and knowing it. I don't think his Gal Friday is a particularly good actress but she's not insufferable.

Close second to Almost Human - this has been better than expected, I figured it would be some dumbed down police procedural with a goofy cyborg twist, but it's actually darker and more interesting than I suspected it would be going in. And Karl Urban is so money.

SHIELD has been a solid meh. It teases so much potential but they don't seem to want to take it to the next level. The last few episodes were a distinct improvement, but I still find myself at least a couple of times each week saying "these idiotic jackasses are supposed to be a super-skilled espionage and counter-terrorism agency?" The writing is just not very tight and WTF are the superheroes already? Do you really need expensive CGI for Power Man and Iron Fist? OR any other the other galaxy of waiting secondary heroes you have at your disposal?

Overall I still think Walking Dead is the best thing on TV right now. Can't wait for the back half of this season!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Outside of Walking Dead, I can't think of any other show I'm enjoying more right now than American Horror Story. Terrific scenery-chewing acting chops, horrifically entertaining over-the-top violence (melon-baller to the eye FTW!) and a plot that continues to twist and evolve with every episode. Loving this season.

It's the only show on TV where I'm hoping every single character dies a horrible death.  And the sooner the better.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2013, 03:31 PM »
You must have been pretty happy after last night then.  ;D

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #368 on: December 12, 2013, 05:52 PM »
NO SPOILERS!  DVR!!!   :o

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 16, 2013, 01:45 PM »
Is anybody a fan of Homeland? Last night's season finale didn't have quite the "bang" of last season, it was still quite a shock - though it had the feel of a series finale more than a season finale.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50 PM »
Is anybody a fan of Homeland? Last night's season finale didn't have quite the "bang" of last season, it was still quite a shock - though it had the feel of a series finale more than a season finale.

I agree - I kinda wish it was ending instead of them continuing on.

Maybe they plan on going in a completely different direction with Season 4 - I'll still watch, but it seems to me like the story of the two major characters should be over....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #371 on: December 17, 2013, 08:06 AM »
It ended well enough for me, and I'm not going to re-up my Showtime subscription, so I'm good!

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 8, 2014, 12:06 AM »
Finally watched Breaking Bad 8)  Plowed through the series the past couple of weeks and now wish I had stretched it out more - well executed!
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #373 on: January 8, 2014, 12:31 AM »
I'm doing the same on Netflix. Almost done with season 5 until the mid-season break. Probably the best show I've seen. Ever.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 8, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Same....I've never binge-watched a series before but this show was fantastic.  Can't wait to finish it up.

Not sure why I was paying $100+ a month for DirectV all these years.  They left their dish on my roof (free advertising?) when I cancelled them over the summer.  Netflix is well worth the price.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN