Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154687 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Watch it all the time but it has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's set up like Storage *cough* Jarrod Megos *cough* Wars , Storage Hunters, Pawn Stars, flip this & flip that etc.. I like some of the nostalgia toys & seeing what is out in collections/hoarding land plus seeing my good friend David Gaule working with Jordan.

It's a reality popcorn show. Oh, those 12 bks...   ;D

Is the a reference to when that dude with the hot wife found all those old 70's superhero figures in that one storage locker? That's one of the few episodes I have actually seen and I'll admit, it got me super excited, but am I to think that was all a set-up now? I guess that wouldn't surprise me.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Does anybody here watch Continuum?  I stumbled across it on Netdlix a while back and watch on my iPad while I'm on thr treadmill.  I've thought its a pretty good show and I'm almost halfway through season 2.  Overall I've thought season 1 was better but there are more plot twists and turns in season 2.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #407 on: March 20, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Dale, that is the other thing I didn't say, it obviously scripted and he just happens to find the thing he is looking for in the last box he sees on the top shelf tucked behind a box of clothes.  I don't mind that too much, I just like the nostalgia part of the show, the old commercials, the packaging, seeing everyone with piles of 1995 on SW crap :)

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 20, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I really enjoy the Americans, since I grew up in the 80's and I enjoy the Vikings too.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2014, 11:33 AM »
One thing about Toy Hunter to keep in mind is that Jordan basically knows what the people have for sale before he ever gets there.  He and the producers set up the visits so he already knows he's buying certain things and the sellers know he's offering dealer prices and that he's buying to sell for profit later.  So, yes, it's not really a shock when he comes across a sealed Sectaurs Hyve playset in a guy's basement.

One of the storage auction shows, maybe all of them(?), are known to have seeded some of the units for filming but I don't think that's the case with this show.  They take the time to track the people down that have what they're looking for. 

As for picking stuff up at shows like C2E2 or whatever, I don't know exactly how they do those but you can tell that some of the filming takes place before the shows open in the morning because there aren't crowds around.  But I don't know if Jordan just finds stuff randomly or if he's contacted sellers prior to coming to those shows.

I didn't get to go to the presentation last year, but I went to the 2012 Toy Hunter panel at NYCC and they talked about a lot of these types of things.  I did a write-up on it (NYCC Toy Hunter Panel)

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 20, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Jordan seem to seek out the high end buyers and sellers whenever possible.  As a result I think some eBay prices may not be applicable to what he's doing. His operation is actually local to me. And I think back in the day he actually worked at our local Starlog store.  That closed down around 15 years ago, just for reference.

What I've been enjoying on his show?  Just how much he travels to the Cincinatti area. He seems to be really tapped in with some of the old Kenner employees and knows where to find some of the rarest of the rare from legit sources.  And so many of those guys still reside in the Cincy area where they worked for Kenner.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 26, 2014, 12:32 PM »
anyone watching Resurrection or Believe?
I'm liking Believe so far but i can kinda see where its going, lil dogooder girl wants to help everyone she runs into by using her superpowers while ******bag daddy just wants to pull hijinks. Of course he can't stand the lil girl but he comes to love her awwwww.  ::)
but kinda cool to see primetime superhero even if its a lil kid.

Resurrection has been good so far, i don't know anything about the French version so i'd like to see where this goes.

either way i'm liking all the kinda rescent sci-fi fantasy stuff thats been on primetime last couple years even though i don't watch 1/2 of it it been interesting.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2014, 09:09 PM »
I've been watching Believe, and I like it pretty well so far.  Haven't seen Resurrection.  I wanted to try watching it, but honestly it is just tough to find enough time for all the shows anymore, particularly the hour-long ones.

On the subject of Toy Hunter, I really enjoy catching it every week - primarily to see the toys he finds, or to see some other people's collections.  It is crazy the stuff some people have.  I like the episodes where he finds someone who has, for example, a huge Joe collection - or like this week, a guy who had nearly every He-Man/MOTU toy ever made, all loose.  Cool stuff.  Although I think it is the second time I've seen it on the show, I honestly was never aware of the Eternia playset for that line, pretty cool.

Also, on the Joe subject, not sure if anyone here watches Community, but next week they are doing an entire episode in the style of the 80s toon, kind of cool for those interested.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 3, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Also, on the Joe subject, not sure if anyone here watches Community, but next week they are doing an entire episode in the style of the 80s toon, kind of cool for those interested.

Ok, just watched this tonight, and I'd highly recommend watching it if you are a fan of '80s Joe (the toon or the toyline) at all.  I don't know if it is even totally necessary to regularly watch Community to enjoy it either.  The entire episode is animated in nearly the same way as the old cartoon, and there are also "vintage style" toy commercials spread throughout (and a PSA at the end).  Very fun episode, I suggest checking it out On Demand, on Hulu/Itunes/etc., pretty cool.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 4, 2014, 12:43 AM »
I thought that was brilliant. Knowing the Community characters helps but certainly isn't needed.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 4, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Loved it.  I want figures of Wingman, Tight Ship, Buzzkill, Fourth Wall, Three Kids and the rest.

And I'm not 100% certain, but I think they used the original voice actors for Duke and Flint.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 4, 2014, 09:32 AM »
I don't watch the show, but I made a point to check it out last night. That was some funny ****! I was LOL'ing a few times. Very creative.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 4, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Accuse me of hyperbole, but I think "Community" will go down as one of the best comedies that no one watched.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 4, 2014, 02:32 PM »
I love Community, but my vote goes to Happy Endings.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 6, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Both of those shows were excellent.  Max is on The Mindy Project now if youre missing him.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today