Author Topic: Palace Luke's Unorthodox Articulation  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Palace Luke's Unorthodox Articulation
« on: January 19, 2004, 07:43 PM »
When the POTJ Rebel Fleet Trooper premiered, there was alot of talk about his innovative new knee articulation. The new Jabba's Palace Luke uses the same type of articulation in his elbows, a first for the line, if I'm not mistaken.

For my part, I think it's a pretty good compromise of looks and posability. I've been able to get him into all sorts of gesturing poses, and a couple nice action poses as well.

My only complaint is the open right hand that just can't grasp the lightsaber for a nice two-handed pose. I wouldn't mind seeing this figure sometime down the line (in a 4-pack or something) with a gripping hand, or ideally interchangeable hands (open/shot/gloved).

What do you all think of Luke's new elbows?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Palace Luke's Unorthodox Articulation
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 08:00 PM »
That joint was actually an idea Hasbro bogarted from 21st Century Toys.  The initial waves of World War II 1:18 figures (German Infantry and U.S. infantry) utilized that very articulation in the knees and elbows of its figures.

My opinion of it is low though...  Even 21st wound up goiong with new hinges and swivels in its figures because the joint allowed for 2 positions that looked natural, but nothing in between.

For instance, a soldier can sit/kneel or stand, but walking poses and such looked awkward at best...

21st opted for a hinge at the knee that was sunk into the upper thigh instead of the typical pin joints Hasbro was using.

My take on articulation is that Hasbro's made the biggest leap in articuation in scales under 1:6 by doing large #'s of ball/socket joints.

It looks better than any joint I can think of (if executed properly), and to boot it gives the widest array of positions for a single joint.  It's relatively simple to create as well, and in theory the pins used for these joints could be created only a couple of times and reused repeatedly on other figures which would employ similar articulation styles.  This would eliminate some cost for the increase in articulation.

The first SW figure to employ that joint style was of course the Rebel Fleet Trooper from POTJ, but a couple figures have  had similar styles since.  The Maul Sith Lord from Saga, Sae See Tinn from Clone Wars line, etc...  

I don't think it's a terrible articulation idea, and it is generally an improvement.  It even looks real good on the Fleet Trooper since it resembles a fold in the fabric.  I don't think it should be the standard though, since ball/sockets are really the evolution of articulation on figures, can look seamless to the sculpt, and can acheive massive movement on a small-scale figure for a reasonable cost.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jasim

• Youngling
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 07:23 PM »
I was really looking forward to this figure. However, I'm disappointed with the elbow articulation. The Obi-Wan Outlander Club has the same type of articulation in the left elbow. I'm not pleased with the articulation in the arms of either figure.  As Jesse James pointed out the ball/socket would have been much better for greater variety in poseability.  The articulation on both Luke and Outlander Club Obi-Wan would have also created better play features. This rotating swivel type of articulation seems to be a step back in the evolution of better Star Wars figures. When I first saw Jedi Luke and Nightclub Obi-Wan, I thought finally Hasbro has produced an Obi-Wan that doesn't suck as well as a new super-Luke. (Like the super-articulated Clone Trooper.)

I also agree with Muftak that I would have liked to see a damaged hand and a gloved hand that could be interchangeable.

My final suggestion is that Luke should have ball jointed shoulders, which would have been so awesome for play/poseability. Outlander Obi-Wan had it as did most of the Clone Wars figures which were pretty great for basic figures.

Other than those few complaints the figure is definately a huge leap from the POTF2 figure to where it is now. And well worth the money. The room for improvements means that we will have to buy another Jedi Luke in the future. (Yeah for Hasbro!) Hopefully the next version that comes out will be as good as or better than the super-articulated Clone Trooper.

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.  - (unknown)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 03:36 AM »
Someone at TNI suggested replacing Jedi Luke's hand with the plastic pegged version of the Saga Bespin Luke's hand. I haven't tried it as I don't have a plastic pegged Luke, but I'm throwing the idea out there in case someone wants to try it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 05:23 AM »
I have one, so maybe I'll try it.  It's been a while since I did some custom mojo.  I agree with the points that Luke's only 'negatives' are the lack of ball jointed shoulders/elbows.  Beyond that, he's great.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 12:27 PM »
Does this figure look a little small to you guys?  He's really petite; Aayla Secura actually has mass on him, put your aayla next to him.

I fear that this is one of those figures that looks a lot better carded than it does opened.  I'm a little disappointed with this one.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2004, 05:36 PM »
The scale has kind of been all over the map lately but he seems about right to me.  Next to Bar2 he seems accurate.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2004, 05:42 PM »
When I found this figure the other day I was all excited about, because I think it's a great-looking figure.  However, my thoughts have slightly changed about it after opening up this figure.  I'm not thrilled at all about the knees or the elbows.  I do not understand why the knees need to move in the totally opposite direction of normally use.  Why in the world did Hasbro do it that way?  I haven't ever seen a figure that had their legs move forward & backward below the knee.  And then I was playing around with the arms and the right forearm popped right off.   >:(

Don't get me wrong the figure looks GREAT, but if I were a kid and wanted to play with this I think I'd be somewhat disappointed in it.
dustrho