Author Topic: Vintage 4-Pack  (Read 8475 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Vintage 4-Pack
« on: January 28, 2004, 12:29 AM »
Does anyone have the 4-Pack of rereleased vintage figures they put out during the Power of the Force (II) era? I am just curious about how the figures look and what they did to change them so they would be obviously more modern. I assume the dates are different, but I am interested in other changes people may have noticed and what those who have this set think of it overall.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Vintage 4-Pack
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 01:50 PM »
I don't think they changed much...same size, same paint, not sure on the date stamp and copyright though, Kenner was still Kenner when these were released...I didn't buy one but they warmed the shelves a something fierce around here

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 05:46 PM »
They changed the date stamp for sure.  I also heard that for some weird (molding?) reason, that they wound up being just a fraction of an inch shorter than their original vintage counterparts - like maybe 1/16th of an inch, or thereabouts.

These things warmed all the store shelves out here too, for a long time...  I never picked one up 'cause I thought they were pretty lame, but looking back on it now, I kinda wish I had - just to add to the "completeness" of my collection I suppose...

Definitely glad that they nipped this idea in the bud, following these four.  Not cool to start pumping out "new" vintage figures 18 years after the fact.   ::)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 09:48 PM »
Yeah they are reportedly a tad bit smaller overall than the original figures. I had heard that Kenner didn't have the original molds available to make the POTF2 4-pack figs, so instead they had to make new molds from actual vintage figures. And as such the 4-pack figs are like a 3rd-generation copy and got a bit shorter in the process. I also think some of the paint apps are a bit brighter on these figs compared to the vintage counterparts as well.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 10:27 PM »
Still would look nice with all my red carded stuff. It would be good, if true, that Kenner destroyed the molds. This is as close as I can probably get to carded vintage for a while (teacher + pregnant wife + daughter = vintage carded Star Wars collection no longer a priority... :'(

By the way, that's my first and last smilie...

I just like Retro anything. Better to have the authentic stuff, but my budget won't stretch that far and no one seems interested in trading their vintage carded figures for mass quantities of modern stuff.

I wonder if there are any vintage molds floating around out there... I would assume with all the prototypes that keep popping up, the possibility exists.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 12:19 AM »
(teacher + pregnant wife + daughter = vintage carded Star Wars collection no longer a priority... :'(

Hey man I didn't know this! Congrats when is she due?  My wife is expecting 4/15, hitting the home stretch

My equation is a little different but similar

Me + pregnant teacher wife + son = Don't even be caught thinking about Vintage Carded Figures

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004, 08:29 PM »
She's due in July and we are past the hard part. We lost a pregnancy prior to this, so it was pretty tough for the first trimester. But we just had the ultrasound and we are having another healthy baby girl! I am relieved and happy. Congrats to you too and is it your first or are you a vet like me?

I think the result of your equation is more apt. We'll get there... when the prices on these things are off the charts...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2004, 08:38 PM »
Congrats to you & your wife Thomas.  8)

As for the Classic 4 pack, the figures are just a tad smaller. I put a vinty Luke next to the one I have & you can tell there smaller. No idea on the dates as mine is still in the package. Han's head looks very square with that hairdo though!  :D

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2004, 09:20 AM »
Congratulations to you and your wife Thomas!  Any idea on a name yet for your soon-to-be daughter?
dustrho

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2004, 07:53 PM »
Leia?
Amidala? and call her Ami?
R2?

I'm leaving it up to my wife and she asks me and I have not been too impressed yet. We like boys names for girls, so Chuck or Dave or Hank are up there...

No clue yet, but will keep all posted. Thanks for the props!

Offline wai

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 11:41 AM »
I have all 4 loose figures and box.I think the only different is date stamp on the figures back.They changed to 1995 LFL & Kenner China :)
www.starwars-force.com~~"The only Chinese starwars web site"

Offline Alpha_17

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 8, 2006, 05:07 PM »
I got one of these for christams when I was a little boy. This is the set that comes with Luke, Han, Chewie, and vader, right? I;m glad I looked through this thread. I forgot all about this.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 8, 2006, 05:25 PM »
Yes, the Classic Edition 4 pack came with Luke, Han, Chewie, & Vader.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 8, 2006, 05:52 PM »
Good lord, I forgot about that set too.  I don't even have it on my checklist - what the HELL was I doing?  Gotta stop dipping into the drugs at work.   ::)

It may be time to check out eBay to see what these are going for these days.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 8, 2006, 05:59 PM »
The price varies anywhere from $10.50-$30.