Author Topic: How often do you go to the Dentist?  (Read 10437 times)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you go to the Dentist?
« Reply #30 on: February 2, 2006, 01:31 PM »
My insurance is set up so that the dentist has x amount he can charge. So for a porc. crown it is $250. So if I go to an in-network dentist, they can only charge me $250, of which 80% is paid by my insurance after my deduc. is met (deduc is $500 person or $1000 family which is easy to do). They can charge more but by accepting the insurance I am with, I cannot be held to pay it.
My medical works similiar except on prescriptions. With a generic prescription I pay either $5 or $10 depending on the classification of the drug. On a brand drug I pay a min. of $32 or some % of the total cost.
Insurance companies and how they manage the health profession is one reason why many doctors do not want to stay in medicine. I know one doctor who wishes he had done what I have done. Make enough money to secure retirement etc, then go and get a teaching certificate and teacah or a Phd and teach college.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 2, 2006, 01:43 PM »
I took a two year hiatus from the dentist and paid the price dearly!  They spent an hour cleaning my teeth with a tool that was pretty scary!

Since then, I found a really cool dentist (an attractive woman) that has a nice touch.  I'm not trying to be sexist, but I can't stand some big hairy hand in my mouth - not cool.

:-*

So now I go every six months.   :-*

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 2, 2006, 02:27 PM »
If I could find a hot lady-dentist I'd go every six weeks.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 2, 2006, 07:02 PM »
I'm not trying to be sexist, but I can't stand some big hairy hand in my mouth - not cool.

He's supposed to have latex gloves on...

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #34 on: February 2, 2006, 07:10 PM »
$500 ded is really rather high, are you sure?  Yikes... The 80% cover for major- which is where crowns typically are covered, is pretty good though.  $250 for a crown (porc at that) is REALLY cheap.  Most of the time I see prices of $1000 for these in the NE/ West Coast.  I hope with such a large deductible that you have a big max. 
I used to work in dental insurance- customer benefits- sigh... One day I hope to return back to work... I think ;) 

You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 2, 2006, 07:15 PM »
I go twice a year/my insurance is some change a month for my whole family I pay no extra money at the dentists for anything else/covered. However, when my daughter will be getting braces in a few years I'll pay 1/3 of it ::)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 2, 2006, 07:25 PM »
I go every 6 months.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: February 2, 2006, 09:17 PM »
Things are feeling pretty good, so I hopefully I'm safe from the filling and/or crown monsters once again.   :-\

No new cavities, no need for a crown, no root canals required! Woot - safe for another six months!   ;D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 2, 2006, 10:29 PM »
Nice work Jeff.

I'm every six months, just to piss off the oral hygienists :-X

Seriously, I learned my lesson from my $4000 molar.  Left a cavity too long, got it filled, was warned it might be too deep and absess.  It did - root canal.  Year later the tooth broke - left that forever, tooth eroded, needed gum surgery (yep, think scalpel and gum) to resect the gumline so the crown could be placed.  Yippee. 

Ever see the movie Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman?  You should, the dentist in there was my childhood dentist.  Iss it safffffffe?  *shudder*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #39 on: February 2, 2006, 10:50 PM »
So after looking through this thread and not seeing any Tim Whatley/anti-dentite references (something for which you all should be ashamed of), I thought I'd look for a pic of the re-gifting doctor, and I stumbled across this site:

Dentistry on TV!

If that's not living proof of just how expansive the internet has become, well, then I don't know what is.

(Oh, and by the way:)

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #40 on: February 3, 2006, 12:46 AM »
My favourite joke dentist is Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors... his mother told him when he was a child he liked to inflict pain, so she told him to be a dentist...
I haven't been to the dentist for a year... I can't go with a low white blood cell count in case of infection...
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 3, 2006, 01:07 AM »
Shannon, if you're really missing going to the dentist, here's how you can make up for it.  First of all, randomly poke yourself with sharp objects.  Next, grind down a limb with an angle grinder.  Oh, and be sure someone tries to have a conversation with you while your mouth is stuffed full of rubber, metal and cotton.  And finally, hand over your check book and/or credit card so that they can be maxed out.

There, see all the fun you're missing?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: February 3, 2006, 03:25 AM »
"Son be a dennnntist...  You have, a talent, for causing pain.  HEY!"

I have to go to a guy in my hometown which is convenient but I'm not fond of him...  I like my dentist I had when I was young under my father's insurance.  He had a lot of nose hair but he was a good guy, really funny...

His nurse was his sister, and she was the first girl that gave me tingly feelings.  To this day, she's a hot MILF (though she's not a mom, never had kids), and I still dig it when she's asked for more suction.  I wanna scream out, "Yes, I concur!"
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 3, 2006, 09:04 AM »
I go every six months. I was lucky growing up. I got to be friends with my dentist and he wound up never charging me for any work. When I moved to the West coast, he would always clean my teeth FOC when I flew into town. I finally found a great dentist out my way, but when I visit the East coast, I always make it a point to visit my old dentist and his family.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 3, 2006, 09:28 AM »
Oh jeez, maybe just talking about it will get my butt in gear.

I haven't been in *gulp* I don't want to say how many years. (4).  The last time I went was to a new dentist, and I liked her, and she said this: you really have good teeth. These are fine teeth.I wish I had your teeth.   So,obviously everything's ok and I'm top of the world. I wasn't frightened enough to make another appointment!