Author Topic: Surgery... Who's been under the knife?  (Read 10961 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: Surgery... Who's been under the knife?
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2005, 02:36 PM »
My daughter had open heart surgery at 6 months old, though, and that was stressful enough that it may as well have been me.
Holy crap :o  Is she doing great now?  I can't imagine how stressful that must have been for you guys.  I think that they would have to put me under too. :'(

I haven't had anything major done:

Had a bunch of teeth (baby and permanent) removed when I was 6, plus impacted wisdom teeth at 16. 

Had knee surgery -- cleaned up a bunch of stuff and did a lateral release.  That was much worse than the knee.  They went into my quads and cut a couple of muscles to allow my kneecap to pull back into its original position.  I couldn't do anything for the first few days.  Was out of work for weeks.

Had surgery on my wrist and elbow at the same time.  The day I got out of the cast and stiches from the surgery I went back to work and proceeded to fall while walking UP the stairs.  Was favoring my bad arm so was carrying everything in the other arm.  When I fell I instinctively threw out the empty hand and broke my wrist.  Went right back into a cast for 18 weeks. Have since broken that same wrist 4 more times.

Broke my collarbone and dislocated my shoulderblade

Fractured a cervical vertabrae

3 concussions

Numerous sprains

Multiple gastro invasions  --  and their counterparts at the other end >:(

While having exploratory surgery on my girly parts the Doc noticed there was something odd about my appendix.  She consulted a general surgeon and he said I was one of the rare cases that makes an argument for a condition called "chronic appendicitis".  So, they took it out while they were in there.

3 spinal taps in one week >:( >:( >:(

« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 02:49 PM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2005, 02:58 PM »
I've had an appendectomy.

I also have a "minor" tear of my right rotator cuff.  It only hurts if I don't warm up before throwing the ball or hitting the weights.  Otherwise, I'm okay.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2005, 04:34 PM »
My daughter had open heart surgery at 6 months old, though, and that was stressful enough that it may as well have been me.
Holy crap :o  Is she doing great now? 

You tell me. . .

Rotten to her rotten little core, but otherwise, yes.  She's doing great.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 1, 2005, 01:51 AM »

I haven't had anything major done:

...teeth removed...impacted wisdom teeth...knee surgery...surgery on my wrist and elbow at the same time...broke my wrist...broken that same wrist 4 more times...Broke my collarbone...dislocated my shoulderblade...Fractured a cervical vertabrae...3 concussions...Numerous sprains...Multiple gastro invasions...chronic appendicitis...3 spinal taps in one week.

Holy ****.  You're quite the clutz!   :P

BTW, she's a cutie, name.  :)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 1, 2005, 06:32 AM »

Holy ****.  You're quite the clutz!   :P

Indeed I am :-[

Name -- she is beautiful.  It certainly looks like its not slowing her down one bit! :)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline Loopy_Leia

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 1, 2005, 08:45 PM »
I had my tonsils out when I was just a kid (don't remember how old I was) but I coughed the scabs off so my parents thought I was bleeding to death , had to rush back to the hospital and get them cauterized.

Had my wisdom teeth taken out when I was like in my teens or so.  All 4 at one time and they had to cut 2 of them out.  OUCH!!!!

Had my gallbladder out on March 28th of this year and that was no picnic.  I hated the way I felt afterwards all blown up with gas and it was killing me in my shoulders most of all...funny that the incisions didn't hurt at all, just when I was laying down.  Weird!

Other than that, I am VERY clumsy, too...hahahaha.............fell down the stairs at work with things in my hands and managed not to break anything just severely sprain my right ankle (i broke the same one 14 years ago falling down some stairs at a friends house).  Go figure!

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: November 2, 2005, 05:43 AM »
got my appendix removed when i was 7 and i broke my forearm when i was 6
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 2, 2005, 07:00 PM »
A little story proving my theory that math class is murder...

When I was a wee 6-7 year old in 1st grade, I tripped over a desk and partially cracked open and broke the back of my spine near my neck area. I got 8 staples. Not stitches, STAPLES. My choice of a reward for going through all this?

A ******* glow in the dark bat.

Hey, it was near Halloween and I was 6.

:P

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 9, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Just today I had to get a splint for my thumb I broke a couple days ago.  :P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2005, 07:26 PM »
So the wisdom teeth came out today. The pain is not as bad as I expected, but the swelling sucks! I look like a chipmunk.I spent all day in bed sleeping on and off, and also watching a Phil of the Future marathon.

I miss solid food already. :(
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2005, 05:06 PM »
When I was little I got two hurnias(sp?) each about a year apart.I had to get lazer (get rid of burth marks) a few times and need to one more time soon.Counting the 2 hurnias ive had stiches 3 times.(a scooter accident.) and when I was 3 I fell down the stairs and I still need to get the caralige in my nose straightened.

Thats my life long 'been under the knife" story.(o.k. not all of them were under a knife.)
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2006, 04:19 PM »
*bumpety bump bump*

I go in at the butt-crack of dawn tomorrow for exploratory surgery/biopsies on my uterus.  While they are in there (well, the general region ;)), they're yanking out my gallbladder too.  The fun never ends ;)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2006, 05:30 PM »
*bumpety bump bump*

I go in at the butt-crack of dawn tomorrow for exploratory surgery/biopsies on my uterus.  While they are in there (well, the general region ;)), they're yanking out my gallbladder too.  The fun never ends ;)

Hope it all goes well for you, and they treat you better than our puppy. She went in Monday and they just ripped the whole mess out.

Although, if you're lucky, maybe they'll give you a cool collar too. ;)

"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life