Author Topic: Surgery... Who's been under the knife?  (Read 10912 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Surgery... Who's been under the knife?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 09:37 AM »
A few times for minor stuff. I had ingrown toenails when I was 18 & the 3rd operation fixed that. Right foot, no big toenail, left foot, a little of the nail grew back. Got me 3 weeks off from collage.  ;D

The other time was for a syst on top of my left foot. Infact there were 2 systs. The doctor opened my foot like a sardine can as 1 of the systs exploded & he did exploratory surgery & cleaned it up. You can't tell my foot was sliced open as he is a plastic surgeon.  8)

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 12:58 PM »
Yes, me, I had my appendix out, that SUCKED!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 08:11 PM »
Heh, maybe now you know why you don't know what I look like ;)

So can you actually walk and function like a normal person still, or are you like in a wheel chair n' $h!t?   ???

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 10:01 PM »
Never been under the knife but have had a few trips to the hospital, all when I was a kid.

First accident was when I was probably 3 or less, was crawling around on the floor on my hands and knees and rammed my forehead right into the corner of the TV stand, enough to require a few stiches. You can still see a small scar up there now.

Second one had to be somewhere before I was 5. Was on a swing in our back yard, decided to try to balance myself sitting on it without my feet touching the ground and without holding on to the swing itself. Ended up falling off it backwards, landing flat on my back and breaking my collarbone. That was real smooth.  ::)

Next one had to have been within a year or so of that. Was trying to sit on a bike that was too tall for me at the time, and back then we lived on a fairly steep hill. Well, I lost my balance and fell off the bike. Guess which way I fell, yep, downhill so I actually had a little longer fall to catch myself. I ended up with a sprained left arm. No cast but did have to wear a splint for a while.

Last major injury came sometime prior to turning 10. I was playing soccer at the time. Was running along side another kid toward the ball, ended up getting tripped and fell, hurting my right arm. Came out of the game for a while since it hurt quite a bit and then ended up going back in later to play goalie of all positions. Finished the game there, arm still hurting after the game, went to hospital and found out I had sprained my right arm. Again no cast but had to wear the splint.

That's been about it. No major injuries since gradeschool that has required a trip to the emergency room. Guess I've been the lucky one in my family.  ;D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 10:23 PM »
I had surgery on my ears (some weird reconstruction stuff and tubes inserted) and had my tonsils removed.

Not fun stuff.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2004, 09:31 AM »
The last time so far was in 2000. I hurt my back at work and had a lower discectomy. They removed parts of 2 vertibre(sp?) and then cut out part of the disc. I will say that after I woke up from the surgery it was instant relief from the pain. I actually looked forward to the surgery to get the pain over with.

I had almost the same thing when I was 14.  It took the Doctors months to decide what it was because 14 year olds don't get Herniated/Slipped discs.  Well 6 months and 1 quack Doctor later, we find a doctor who knew exactly what it was and I had surgery the day after Christmas  and you are right, the surgery made the pain go away INSTANTLY.  It was the physical therapy that hurt after that.

Then 18 years later(last Summer). BOOM back problems again.  Only this time they treat it with Steroid/Cortizone shots. So far 5 shots and I am begging them to just do the surgery again so I can get some relief.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 1, 2004, 10:52 PM »
Heh, maybe now you know why you don't know what I look like ;)

So can you actually walk and function like a normal person still, or are you like in a wheel chair n' $h!t?   ???

Well, the word normal is seldom used around me, but I can indeed walk and like the fool I am (easy Kev), started playing basketball again this year.  I've still got the old, quick first step but man, the deceleration after that point is downright frightening ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 3, 2004, 12:03 PM »
One of my patients that I saw for her 6 month checkup came in...

"Okay, well, let's get started.  Open please."

Puhleease say you're a dentist...  ;D

Surgeries for me...
Tonsilectomy. Surgery was quick and easy, but the recovery was long and brutal.
Broken-hip surgery. About a two-hour surgery, and a month of recovery. Souvenirs of this experience include a 6-inch scar and assorted metal plates and pins. Mmmmm... metal plates and pins.  ;)

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 3, 2004, 05:35 PM »
i had a tumor in my toe. i got surgery for it. how rad is that! tumor! :D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: February 3, 2004, 06:42 PM »

Umm...  OK.  Tumors are rad, indeed!   8)

On a related note, my father-in-law just went back to the hospital since he's suddenly not feeling too well, several weeks after his quadruple bypass heart surgery.  Turns out they had to drain over a liter of fluid from his lungs, and he's got an inflamed area around his heart now that he's got to take a bunch more drugs for.

Sucks, 'cause he looked like he was making a full and speedy recovery, and now he's had a pretty major setback...   :-\

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 3, 2004, 08:35 PM »

Umm...  OK.  Tumors are rad, indeed!   8)

On a related note, my father-in-law just went back to the hospital since he's suddenly not feeling too well, several weeks after his quadruple bypass heart surgery.  Turns out they had to drain over a liter of fluid from his lungs, and he's got an inflamed area around his heart now that he's got to take a bunch more drugs for.

Sucks, 'cause he looked like he was making a full and speedy recovery, and now he's had a pretty major setback...   :-\

Hope your father in law fully recovers from this set back, Matt.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 4, 2004, 01:09 PM »
Indeed, well wishes for outlaw Dad, Patty and yourself.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 4, 2004, 01:27 PM »
Well wishes too Matt & Patty.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 4, 2004, 04:41 PM »

Well, the word normal is seldom used around me, but I can indeed walk and like the fool I am (easy Kev)

He said it guys, not me. ;)

I may need to go in for surgery after two weeks ago I had a hyper extended knee trying to stop a volley ball because the 330lb 5"9' boy didnt want to. It locked up and I went right over it, and couldnt walk. Its still sore, and I have to call my doctor back.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: February 4, 2004, 05:53 PM »
Yeah me too Matt, hope her dad is doing better