Author Topic: Anyone into Geneology?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Anyone into Geneology?
« on: February 3, 2004, 08:41 PM »
Title says it all.  
For the best 5 years or so I been trying to make a little family history book for my immedate family.  In all likely hood its only going to go back to my great grandparents and then to me since I can't find alot about my anescetor since most of my grandparents died before I really cared to learn about my past.  This is why I started to think about doing this book so that my kids and my siblings kids where know what their ancestor is.  I haven't done all that great with stuff to write about but right now I trying to write up my life story which I have found to be hard to figure out what to write about.  
So anyone else every done something like this?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone into Geneology?
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2004, 09:28 AM »
well, i've never done something like what you are doing, but i did actually get my parents a history of our family name for christmas a few years ago.

there was a store in disney orlando that specialized in irish gifts (or something like that) - i think it might have been in epcot center, in the area where they have all the different countries of the world. anyway, they had this small shop that would research your name, and make a document on parchment with the history of your name, and your family crest and crap like that. so i had them research my last name, and they sent me the framed parchment in the mail, which now hangs in my parents entry hallway to their house.

of course, everything they wrote on it could be complete b.s. and i'd never know any different  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2004, 01:05 PM »
I'm fortunate that my aunt did this some time ago, so I have a good idea on one side anyway.  

Story traces back through my grandparents on my dad's side.  GPs moved to North America from England in the early part of the 20th century (FWIW the other GPs moved from Germany following WWI).  Prior to that my grandfather lived in Ireland and we can trace back a couple of further generations.  

The clan ended up in Ireland, so the story goes, after being unceremoniously thrown out of Scotland for stealing sheep.  That is stealing sheep.  

I was hoping I could use this proud heritage to get Australian citizenship as my ancestors should have been shipped off with the rest of the miscreants, but to no avail :-\ ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2004, 04:46 PM »
The clan ended up in Ireland, so the story goes, after being unceremoniously thrown out of Scotland for stealing sheep.  That is stealing sheep.

That...is the greatest thing ever.

Morgbug, there is hope for you yet!

Anywhat, we had some family come by and ask us all kinds of questions, and such. It was a truly educational experience.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2004, 04:57 PM »
That is stealing sheep.

Why am I not surprised to hear that...?

As for geneology, it's not really my thing - but Patty's definitely into it, as is my Grandmother.  Patty's got both sides of her family covered back to about the late 1600's, and my grandma's traced her side of our family back several centuries further.  It's a compulsive hobby for her, kind of like my Star Wars figures...  Probably not a coincidence that both of these women have worked as Historians.   ;)

I must say, that it's a good thing that GNT's mom is into geneology, otherwise we would've been missing the most vital piece of the puzzle that let to Scott discovering his picture finally!   8)
« Last Edit: February 4, 2004, 04:59 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2004, 05:51 PM »
So true...my Grandmother was into it big time, they have a family history back to the 1500's I believe in Sweden.  Supposedly my great great great grandfather was the Stablemaster for the King of Sweden, how's that for royality in my blood.  (no word on how the sheep were treated in said stable)

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2004, 11:49 PM »
I love genealogy.  I have done major research on my ancestors.  Some of the information that I have found is simply amazing, like one my ancestors was named in the Salem Witch Trials.  Once you start researching, it becomes an addiction for more information.

I drew a massive family tree for the annual reunion.  The drawing took up the side of the garage, but it was awesome and completely worth the time and effort.  I plan to catergorize everything and put the information into a history book.  I have collected pictures (old tin types) and documents to use.  

My grandfather kept a journal for the time he was in WWI, so I am going to include all that information.  I also have poetry that he wrote.  

I have also gotten a lot of information from various relatives to include in the book.  And, I have also hit a lot of road blocks.  There's some of the "branches" in the family that just seem to have vanished.  But, I will continue to research.  

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2004, 12:10 AM »
That is pretty cool, i have tried it, but dont you have to pay like $30, or something like that, i would do it but i dont have a credit card.  So that sucks.  But i think genealogy is very interesting, that is pretty cool, how one of your ancestors was in the Salem Witch Trials.  I just got done studying or learning about that, it is pretty amazing and intersting, have you seen the movie?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2004, 12:14 AM »
Yes, I have seen the movie.  I have read several books on the era.  

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2004, 12:17 AM »
yea, the movie is pretty intersting. And the book is pretty good too
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)