Author Topic: P-I-Z-Z-A  (Read 10200 times)

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
Re: P-I-Z-Z-A
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 09:19 AM »
I like a thinner crust pizza with alot of cheese and loaded with Mushrooms, Meat and Meat-related toppings. I'm mostly a big fan of little mom and pop pizzerias. As for the chains: Dominos makes a good thin crust, Pizza Hut's Stuffed Crust is good and Papa Johns is just bleh to me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2007, 12:41 PM »
Wasn't there a cheeseburger thread around here somewhere?

You son of a bitch!   :)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2007, 12:53 PM »
we have since discovered a local place called mama mia's that rivals johnny brusco's quality and still tastes good leftover.

another local fave is Greg's pizza, but they have some weird idiosyncrasies with their pizza...first off, instead of cutting the traditional wedge, they cut it into strips...imagine cutting the round pizza in half, then making perpedicular cuts to that half-cut in one inch strips.  odd.  also they put their pepperonni under the chese instead of on top...tastes good, looks good, but there's nothing to grip for toppings so especially with the strip cut, everything tends to schloff off the top.

And in honor of Rob's three day fast, I'll add this:

my secretary discovered a chinese place that delivers to our office so we ordered that for lunch.  just arrived and it's a TON of food...ordered general tso's - 5.25.  came with a big portion of the general, huge scoop of fried rice, wontons, an egg roll and a cup of egg drop soup.  Can't get over the portion to price ratio here...and it's pretty damned tasty.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 12:55 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2007, 01:14 PM »
There are two local family spots here in town that make wonderful thin crust pizza.

Have you hit Jake's Stadium Pizza?  As I recall, they've got a pretty thin, cripy crust there... I don't remember if it was good, just that it was thin and crispy.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2007, 04:38 PM »
There are two local family spots here in town that make wonderful thin crust pizza.

Have you hit Jake's Stadium Pizza?  As I recall, they've got a pretty thin, cripy crust there... I don't remember if it was good, just that it was thin and crispy.  :-\
Irony...I just ate there today for the 800th time since moving here

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Well it might be a chain back home, but to me the best pizza in the world is still Mr Gatti's regular crust pizza!!! They are the only pizza place in my hometown that uses smoked provologne, which gives the pizza the most unique, but flavorful taste!! Their sauce is  nice combination of tomato goodness with a touch of spices that comebine to make a perfect sauce! Their toppings are even different!! I can eat pepperoni in most pizza shops, but at Gatti's is the only place in which I will get sausage topping! Again their method of preparing it differs from all others, it doesn't have the same hum drum flavor that pretty much every other place has. Smaller, flavorful pieces of sausage make it the best out of any of the other oridinary pizza shops!

Oh and don't forget their desert pizza, the chocoloate creme pizza is sinfully delicious!

Unfortunately the only place up here that is decent is dominoes, and only their thin and cripy. Oh and Panera's thin and crispy is fantastic as well!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2007, 09:45 AM »
I tried Sammy's in Duluth the last time I was there.  It's the best I have had in that city. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2007, 07:58 AM »
As a New Yorker, I feel really sorry for anyone who has Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, or Dominoes in their favorite pizza list...that's just a shame.

We're spoiled here...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline BobaMOTSU

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Hey LJ, stop by either one of the Paesan's Pizza locations.  They're FANTASTIC! 
"Think he's after your kyr'bes?"
-Mirta Gev

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2007, 04:59 PM »
Hey what's going on Albany deserter!! ;D I think I may have had one of their pies once. I know there was this one place, in the same area, that the pizza was fantastic!! I just don't know if it was it or not!! I may have to take a stroll down to the Ontario one!! Thanks for reminding me, I'll give em a whirl!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
pizza
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2008, 02:03 PM »
So, there's this new pizza place, called Rosie's New York Pizza, that opened just down the block from my home. The place even has a "pizza chef," so I was intrigued, if not excited. Keep in mind this is San Jose, California; about as far from New York as one can get in the continental U.S. I ordered a large pizza with eggplant, olives, mushrooms and tomatoes (they call it a Madison Square Garden). It was $26, but hey, this is the Silicon Valley; everything's expensive. Anyway, I get it home and see that the crust is a little dark (not black, but definitely dark) and hard (when I fold one of the slices, it doesn't bend, it cracks). I optimistically start eating it anyway, but it tastes a little burnt. So, I do what any hardworking person would do and call up the place and explain that my pie was burnt and I'd like a replacement. They say sure and I bring it back. So, when I show up to return it, they take a look at it and tell me that's the way it's supposed to be ("This is what a New York pizza is like."). They do give me a replacement pie, but it's the exact same way. They even instructed me on ways to eat it, "You have to fold the slice." But even several days later, this experience is still on my mind. Is this really how a New York pizza is or is this place just not my cup of tea?

So, fellow JD readers, what say you? What's a New York pizza like? Should the crust crack down the middle and taste of charred cardboard? Where's the best pizza in the country? What's a Chicago pizza? Are my wussy California tastebuds all out of whack so that only flexible golden brown crust will do? Please feel free to discuss your favorite type of pie. 

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: pizza
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2008, 02:10 PM »
New York pizza should be floppy and foldy...not crunchy.

Find a Johnny Brusco's somewhere.  Order a simple pepperoni pizza.   Perfection of the form.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Name's got it.  It shouldn't be all crunchy or burned.

Sounds like BS.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2008, 04:11 PM »
well, this thread has now officially determined what I'm having for dinner tonight.....cravings...

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Thanks, guys. I knew there was something wrong with it.

As for my favorite pizza, it's gotta be a simple cheese, tomatoes and basil made by a local chain by the name of Pizza My Heart. Oddly enough, they advertise that their pizza is "New York style." I guess that's the true NY style.

Yeah, I'm having some serious pizza cravings, too. May have to indulge later...but not at Rosie's crap-style pizza.  :P