Author Topic: New York - Toy Fair 2004  (Read 18671 times)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: New York - Toy Fair 2004
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2004, 11:13 AM »
will Hasbro show off more Star Wars products tomorrow or later?  I hope so, cause they didnt show to much!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2004, 11:17 AM »
I dunno

Check your PMs
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 11:18 AM by The United Federation of Vator »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2004, 11:30 AM »
Yeah this is it, hopefully Dave will be back this afternoon with something to report...some cool stuff, really digging the "Vintage" figures and happy they are rereleasing the Scout Trooper, although I wouldn't have minded a resculpt on him.  Some of the rerelease picks are head scratchers though

No new Unleashed, tight lips on the rest of the year, hmmm

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2004, 12:19 PM »
man, i really wanted to see some more surpises, i wanted to see the unleashed Aayla Secura, and some new figures.. This sucks, but the vintage carded photos were nice and i am really syked about that.  I wonder how the case breakdown is going to be, i know that EE has them for pre-order they are about 100.00 but, i am gonna pre-order them anyways, cause they are going to be killer hard to find.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Maybe Hasbro's doing their own thing like they did last year. I was disappointed to not see any new Unleashed. More surprises later, I guess. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2004, 10:56 PM »
oh yea, that Hasbro Press Release, that was a great show, that would be great if they did one of those this year! ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2004, 11:46 PM »
Some reports from GH.com say the "Vintage" 12 figures are goiong to only ship once, be $10 each, and never ship after the first allotment is gone.

WTF is up with that?  :(  I'm hoping those figures are mixed into the regular OTC line then at a later point, as they are truly "ultimate" versions of main characters.  The best ever.

If Hasbro drops the ball here, they're making one step forward in Star Wars figures, but taking 2 steps backwards by making them "Chase" figures and expensive chase figures to boot.  This news has me bumming today in what should otherwise be a glorious moment for collectors, especially openers.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2004, 01:14 PM »
Well, I like what I see. I didn't really like the Vintage figures at first, but I've changed my mind. I do like how they're rereleasing some figs that I don't have. Everything shown the past several days looks great!

That sucks if that 12' rumor is true. I don't collect 12' figures, but I can see why it would upset you guys.

Am I the only one passing on the "new" vehicles?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2004, 02:12 PM »
when do you guys think they will start working on EPIII figures?  Do you think they already have a list of some sort?  

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2004, 02:49 PM »
So...any of our questions awnserd?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2004, 02:52 PM »
Figure production generally starts a year (+/- couple months) in advance.  A line like the E3 line I'd say, is without a doubt, in some preliminary stages of production right now, as Hasbro's probably just developing the core ideas they want to run with...  Possibly character selection's going on, and gathering what may be necessary from LFL as far as references as well.  

The production of the films is moving deep into the process now where they're working almost exclusively on visual effects with ILM.  That means costuming's done, and a lot of the CGI work is on its way to being done, so character design is almost complete at this time.  Hasbro should have the fuel they need for the choices they need to make (who is good in the initial assortment(s), and who's out, and who's good for later assortments, etc.)...

I'd expect figures the same time in 2005 as they shipped in 2002.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2004, 08:58 PM »
So...any of our questions awnserd?

None of the Hasbro-Star Wars team was on hand in NYC for Q&A.  The people giving the tours were from Hasbro Corporate Communications and a PR firm that was hired for the Toy Fair event.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2004, 10:26 PM »
Figure production generally starts a year (+/- couple months) in advance.  A line like the E3 line I'd say, is without a doubt, in some preliminary stages of production right now, as Hasbro's probably just developing the core ideas they want to run with...  Possibly character selection's going on, and gathering what may be necessary from LFL as far as references as well.  

The production of the films is moving deep into the process now where they're working almost exclusively on visual effects with ILM.  That means costuming's done, and a lot of the CGI work is on its way to being done, so character design is almost complete at this time.  Hasbro should have the fuel they need for the choices they need to make (who is good in the initial assortment(s), and who's out, and who's good for later assortments, etc.)...

I'd expect figures the same time in 2005 as they shipped in 2002.
Thanks for the info really appreciate someone responding back.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2004, 10:29 PM »
That's JesseJames's specialty

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2004, 11:16 AM »
when do you guys think they will start working on EPIII figures?  Do you think they already have a list of some sort?  

This past August, when I interviewed some of the Hasbro Star Wars team in Chicago, they mentioned that 3 or 4 of their guys were in Sydney, on set.  They were getting the rundown of who the key characters were, what they looked liked, along with scan data from companies like Gentle Giant and 3-d animation  wireframe data from ILM.  They were there for about a week or so, and came back to their offices in Rhode Island to start work this past September.

The launch, conceptualization, design and manufacture of the EPISODE III line is going to take longer than a regular, non-movie year line.  Why?  When this line launches, it's likely to issue a line like this:

-20+ new basic figure
-Approximately 4 deluxe figures
-1 or 2 creatures
-1 or 2 small vehicles
-2 - 3 medium vehicles
-1 Large vehicle
-A possible playset
-3 or 4 12" figures
-roleplay items (lightsabers, blasters, etc)

...and all of this is supposed to hit mass retail on one target date.  And don't forget that there will then be followup basic figures that will be released around the time of the movie release, and more merchandise that will follow through the end of the year.  

A movie year is a big thing to prep for, and considering the way the 2004 line is shaping up, with so many rehashes requiring little or no new design, it's a given that the EPISODE III line has definitely under development since the fall.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback