Author Topic: Dagobah wave  (Read 27609 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Dagobah wave
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2004, 11:02 AM »
I hope that we get the extra head and arms so I don't have to buy two.

If Hasbro does cheap out and release Luke as TWO variants, it'd be just another example of why everyone is so mad at them.  They constantly cheap out lately: the plastic, the accessories, the variants.

Here's the original quote from back in February:

"Question: What's with Luke and that pose in the Dagobah wave?

Answer: The Luke figure in the Dagobah wave comes with an extra set of arms and head, so he does NOT always have to be posed doing a headstand.  Also, the Yoda figure is meant to interact with the Luke figure (similar to the Wampa and Luke Hoth).  The backpack fits on Luke and Yoda separates at the waist so that he looks correct when sitting in the backpack. "

EDIT: 'Scum now has pictures up and they are reporting that Backpack Luke comes first, with Handstand Luke in a future assortment.  Still no word on if you get both heads/hands with each version... but it's not looking so good.

Dang Hasbro!  >:(

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 11:07 AM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2004, 12:44 PM »

Better late than never

Oh...and

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2004, 01:26 PM »
Ooooohhh...  So they are going with the card variants on Luke, eh?  Interesting, and as Jeff already pointed out - probably infuriating to lots of collectors.  Since I love the OTC cardbacks myself, I don't mind too much having Luke offered in both different poses.  Kinda cool that way from a carded display standpoint.  But at the same time, it blows if Hasbro's going to whimp out, and only offer the different limbs (and apparently the backpack too) seperately.  Just another example of Hasbro milkin' us like the collecting cows that we are...   :-\

Luke also looks like he's 12 years old.  But at least the R2 is looking great, all mucked up and muddy-like.  I'm definitely digging him...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 01:29 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2004, 01:31 PM »
Ooooohhh...  So they are going with the card variants on Luke, eh?  Interesting, and as Jeff already pointed out - probably infuriating to lots of collectors.  Since I love the OTC cardbacks myself, I don't mind too much having Luke offered in both different poses.  Kinda cool that way from a carded display standpoint.  But at the same time, it blows if Hasbro's going to whimp out, and only offer the different limbs (and apparently the backpack too) seperately.  Just another example of Hasbro milkin' us like the collecting cows that we are...   :-\

Luke also looks like he's 12 years old.  But at least the R2 is looking great, all mucked up and muddy-like.  I'm definitely digging him...

The standing Luke Dagobah with the hair sculpted down doesn't look a thing like Luke Skywalker though.

Nice figure, but it ain't Luke.

The one with the hair sculpted up with Luke balancing on his hand's is a good likeness though.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2004, 01:37 PM »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2004, 01:50 PM »
Separated at birth?

"Backpack" Dagobah Luke:

and Mick?

Same vacant eyes, toussled hair, gap mouth?

He definately doesn't look much like Luke though....

Jeff

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2004, 03:12 PM »
The only thing that sucks about these is that Spirit Obi Wan is one per case and I haven't found a single SW fig packed out that way this year.  Sigh.  Other than that, they look great.

If Luke doesn't come with both sets of extremities, I'll be very upset, but it sounds to me he does.  I like him, even if he looks like Mick Jagger.   :)

SilverZ

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2004, 04:20 PM »
My money is on the head/arms being packed behind the OTC insert in the bubble. It looks like they've gone to lengths on all the figures to either outfit the figure with its accessory, or hide it... bases included. Only Chewbacca, who's height extends into the bubble area far behind the OTC logo, seems to show the included black base bit.

Extra arms and a severed head floating in the bubble would look rather creepy, besides.

I still think the ball-socket head thing is a hit-or-miss feature this year. This looks to be one of those cases where it detracts from the figure. I bet the likeness would be helped by not sitting atop a scrawny neck that adds too much emphasis to the jawline on Luke.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2004, 05:24 PM »
Holy cow that standing Luke is one awful likeness.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2004, 10:56 PM »
I like the Spirit Obi-Wan. Much better than the previous two attempts.

I like Yoda and R2 as well.

But Luke, needs work. Maybe (hopefully) it will look better when out of package.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2004, 04:48 AM »
Excellent news everyone!!!  Mike over at GH had one of their sponsors open up the Handstand Luke, and guess what?!  The other set of arms and the alternate head are indeed included as extra accessories in there!!!  He says Luke's only got the straps to his backpack too, and that Yoda's got the actual main portion of it.  Good deal.  Now everyone should be sufficiently happy with this one...   8)

You can check out Mike's report and pix on this right here.

Phew!   ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2004, 09:00 AM »
Excellent!

Good News.  Thanks for not cheaping out on this one Hasbro!

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2004, 10:03 AM »
Bravo to the guy who suggested Mike ask for the info too :-*

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2004, 10:06 AM »
No doubt, thanks Scott :).  This is great news though, glad to see that everything is included with each release (no matter which carded variation you might get).  Although the head sculpt might be a little off on the Dagobah Luke, I'm really looking forward to this wave overall.  Kind of nice to see Hasbro try something new like this interchangeable arms/head business.  As long as it is only used where appropriate, it should work out well.

On a side note, not exactly "Dagobah" wave news...but according to a little report I read over at RS, the repack Throne Room Vader will NOT have a removable helmet this time around.  I don't know if this makes a difference to anyone or not (this is one figure I will be skipping, I got it the first time around and am endlessly frustrated with it...getting it to stand, the cape, etc.).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2004, 12:00 PM »

Looks like Luke will be coming as a variant