Author Topic: Recarded rehashes up the ying yang!  (Read 40060 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Recarded rehashes up the ying yang!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2004, 10:08 AM »
Gammorean Guard should be on the checklist...its listed on the same info that the original IG-88 and friends were listed on.  I would guess that he will be in place of the second Scout Trooper

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2004, 10:42 AM »
Good points Nataku.  I agree, I'm not sure if I will be able to justify buying all fo the rehashes just for the cards either, maybe just a select few.  Although we have more than enough recarded figures as it is, I really don't understand why they aren't sticking the POTJ Bespin Capture Han Solo in there, for another version of Han.  This is probably my favorite figure, and would be a nice change from the Commtech version that is used everywhere.  Plus, I don't think the Bespin Capture Han was particularly "flooding" the pegs when it was out either.  Anyways, since recarded seems to be the way things are going for the rest of the year (and maybe the beginning of next), are there any that you would actually like to see added to the list?  If they are going to recard anyways, I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Rebo band, 2-1B, 4-LOM, and Zuckuss (along with a few others I missed), and while we're at it maybe the Rancor too (doubtful).  But then again, I would much rather see some new figs thrown into this collection.  7 is not enough in a 38 figure collection :).

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2004, 11:09 AM »
I can definitely say without any hesitation that the only figures I will be buying from the OTC are the actual "new" figures (Lobot, Bespin Leia, CCP, Dagobah wave, and whoever else is a new sculpt) and probably a few CT Stormtroopers.  Even though I will admit the new cards look beautiful, as a loose collector, it's not really all that important to me.  

Before I get off on my perpetual Chicken Little ramblings, is it bothering anyone else (nerd alert!) that the Rebel Alliance card logo is blue, while the Empire logo is red?  I'm showing my true dorkiness here, but it's supposed to be the other way around.  Oh Aquaman, how can you marry a woman without gills?  ;D

But seriously (at least considering I'm complaining about toys when there are far more important things to be so concerned about in this day and age), this whole OTC just has pegwarming disaster written all over it.  This subline will probably only go on for about seven months or so, and they're already cranking out almost as many figures as were released all last year in that time period, with many of them being multiple versions of the same characters.  In my mind, they should have done a small line, containing figures that weren't already out in abundance and that in some cases hadn't been seen in a while.  Here's what I would have released:

THE DOCTORPADAWAN FANTASY OTC:
01-Luke Skywalker-Jedi Knight (Saga)
02-Han Solo-Bespin Capture (POTJ)
03-Princess Leia-Bespin Gown (OTC)
04-Chewbacca-Cloud City Capture (Saga)
05-C-3P0-with Removable Limbs (POTF2)
06-R2-D2-Dagobah (OTC)
07-Obi-Wan Kenobi-Jedi Spirit (OTC)
08-Yoda-Dagobah Training (OTC)
09-Luke Skywalker-Dagobah Training (OTC)
10-Lando Calrissian-Rebel General (Saga)
11-Cloud Car Pilot (OTC)
12-Lobot (OTC)
13-Darth Vader-Throne Room Duel (Saga)
14-Emperor Palpatine-Throne Room (Saga)
15-Stormtrooper (POTF2 CommTech)
16-Boba Fett-300th Edition (POTJ; repainted in ROTJ colors)
17-Tanus Spijek-Jabba's Sail Barge (Saga)
18-J'Quille-Jabba's Sail Barge (Saga)
19-Bib Fortuna-Jabba's Palace (new OTC sculpt)
20-General Veers-AT-AT Commander (new OTC sculpt)

So, out of 20 figures, there would be nine newly sculpted figures.  Figures such as Palpatine, Elom, Tooth Face, Luke Jedi, and General Lando never showed up in decent numbers so people could find them.  Of the remaining six, Bespin Han, Bespin Threepio, and Fett 300 haven't been seen on a card in ages (not counting the TRU Bounty Hunter pack) and would most likely sell better than the same old CT Han and Carkoon Fett.  The other three figures would satisfy Hasbro's need to keep main characters in the assortments and (Chewie aside, most likely) the versions included would sell well.

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of this type of thing is the fact that there are still other figures (the SD wave, the Endor Generals wave) from earlier this year that haven't been so easy to find.  That would be my only concession to recard *at least* those two waves on OTC cards.  Since Lando General is already being reissued in my dream world, that would be a total of five recards, plus the Scanning Trooper figure, for a total of 26 figures total in the worst case scenario.

I just see this whole situation becoming a disaster and Hasbro is going to (once again) blame the stores when nobody is able to find the new figures for the pegs upon pegs of CommTech Hans and Falcon Mechanic Chewies, completely ignoring the fact that they shot themselves in the foot with this line from the very beginning.

More of my conspiratorial rants at eleven. :)  Oh, and can someone tell me what "JDCTTRAA" means?  I'm familiar with the whole "situation" but I didn't know the acronym...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2004, 11:36 AM »
I think it stand for Jedi Defender Can't Take The _____ As Always

What the R stands for is perplexing me...Ribbing?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2004, 03:53 PM »
JDCTTRAA...

Hmmm...

Jedi Defender Can't Tell True Rebelscummers Anything Anyway?

Jedi Defender Crazies Tell Truth, Rebelscum's Australian Angry?

Jedi Defender.Com - Totally Tired of Rebelscum's Australian Ass?

I like the third one best :P

/shrug

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2004, 06:39 PM »
Dear lord, the Bib Fortuna, Gamorrean, Vader, are recards. They are shipping OLD Bib!  :o  :'(

Hoth Vader seems to be Emperor's Wrath Vader... with snow on his boots. ANH Vader looks like the MOTDS version again.

The OLD Bib?????????????????

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2004, 06:54 PM »
I can't say I'm NOT surprised...

I can say I'm highly disappointed.  Recards are fine, but recards of figures that are terrible aren't.

And 3 Darth Vaders?  Is that really  necessary?  Ship one, MOTDS preferably, and that's it...  Just ship it in #'s to satisfy demand.  To me that's milking the Carded Collector market...  It's nothing to do with "getting figures to new fans".  Not as I see it.

Hasbro's gonna make finding the  GOOD, actually NEW, figures a royal b!tch this year.  Short of shipping them in their own case and in higher #'s anyway.

Ya know what may be the worst part to this?  The way Hasbro have taken the best card design ever in the history of this line and they've still managed to take a horrendous dump on it.  They have a frontline marketing goldmine with that unique card design.  It's gonna stand out on shelves, each card for each character's unique but simple, and yet Hasbro's chosen to not put out hardly any new figures.  Just old stuff.

Short of the Vintage OTC (And hopefully THEIR being recarded, which would make sense), I'm just disappointed with the end of this year so far.  Gonna be the slowest for Star Wars ever I think.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 06:56 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2004, 08:14 PM »
Gammorean Guard should be on the checklist...its listed on the same info that the original IG-88 and friends were listed on.  I would guess that he will be in place of the second Scout Trooper

/bow to OCB's powers

/cheer

Good call!  Another point for JD.com!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2004, 08:34 PM »
Ya know, thinking about it more, I’m not that bothered with the actual figure choices, with a few obvious exceptions -- I’m still picking my jaw off the floor from the Bib stunt.

It’s the positioning of the line that’s bad, like you said, but I’ll get to that in a sec…

In picking a well rounded OT Greatest Hits they’ve done OK. There’s nothing all too silly on there save the “Fan’s Choice” turd. I would have included Hoth Luke, Bespin Capture Han, another Cantina guy, and another droid to make it feel rounded. Having a Vader for each film isn’t that bad an idea, and from all the case breakdowns so far, the repacks are usually 1 per case, so I don’t imagine there will be too many different ones hanging at once.

I think you summed up the big problem with this nicely – they’re crapping on the best package design they’ve ever had. That really, really worries me. This is the design I’d like to see new figures on for a long time to come. They are running the risk of sending a message that this packaging is a one-shot deal and a rehash assortment for 2004 only. Maybe that’s actually their intention. If so, that’s a real shame.

It also makes me think the VOTC thing is a bad idea more than ever. There’s enough characters in there of superior design that if you mixed them in with the OTC line, deleted redundant figs like the Falcon Training Ben, Commtech Han, Leia, and such, OTC would be a smash hit lineup, even with recards. With them separate, both may suffer.

That’s all really a big bummer. I honestly like these cards so much! I want the line to succeed and seeing this list, I don’t know if it will.  :-\

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2004, 10:40 PM »
I'm pissed off. I really wanted a new Bib Fortuna.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2004, 11:51 PM »
I wonder if Hasbro is certain all the fans who take a big nap this fall will come back for EP3 next year.  Hmm.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2004, 12:55 AM »
Why is Hasbro reissuing the Slave Leia when the exact same figure is coming out in the Cup series, and in some cases, is still on TRU shelves from its POTJ release?

While I'm glad to see the Gamorrean, Bib is totally out of place in this line now. The rest I could care less about, and the only way I'll get them is if I'm forced to order cases of OTC.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2004, 02:36 AM »
Spuffy makes a good point...  How many people will say "F it!" to this line when they have a long break?

I've seen more peoople drop Star Wars in the last 2-3 years anyway...  I dunno.

I question how many "new" people are in this hobby...  Clone Wars is over, and with its end I see less "kids" in the toy aisles looking at the Star Wars.  Maybe I'm wrong...  I know kids are an important market, but to me without a "film" (not the DVD's) I am curious to see how this obvious pandering to kids is going to play out.

Of course, they could simply be catering to the carded collectors...  I wonder how much is a lil of A, and how much is a lil of B here...  Not to take a shot at the carded collectors by any means, do as you please, but they're the only ones who seem to be roped into these rehashes really.  The "kid" market doesn't strike me as realistic right now.

I'll be curious to see...  I know I'm passing on MOST of these myself.  I'll nab a Stormie maybe or two, and TIE Pilots, and of course the NEW figures...  I'll be miffed if any of the new guys are hard to find though.  Another kick in OUR teeth if they are.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2004, 05:00 AM »
I'm one of those collectors on the proverbial fence.  I've been a SW fan since I saw it at the Skylark drive in in 1977, and the toys since day one, but as far as the collecting goes, I'm pretty burnt out.  This OTC thing in a way is perfect for me because it will give me the time I need to recharge my batteries and let me see whether or not I still have the same enthusiasm I once did.

Beyond the new OTC figs, I am buying nothing more SW this year.  I'm glad the long awaited Sandcrawler got picked up, but at $60, it's beyond my means and desire.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2004, 09:42 AM »
Ya know, thinking about it more, I’m not that bothered with the actual figure choices, with a few obvious exceptions -- I’m still picking my jaw off the floor from the Bib stunt.

It’s the positioning of the line that’s bad, like you said, but I’ll get to that in a sec…

In picking a well rounded OT Greatest Hits they’ve done OK. There’s nothing all too silly on there save the “Fan’s Choice” turd. I would have included Hoth Luke, Bespin Capture Han, another Cantina guy, and another droid to make it feel rounded. Having a Vader for each film isn’t that bad an idea, and from all the case breakdowns so far, the repacks are usually 1 per case, so I don’t imagine there will be too many different ones hanging at once.

I think you summed up the big problem with this nicely – they’re crapping on the best package design they’ve ever had. That really, really worries me. This is the design I’d like to see new figures on for a long time to come. They are running the risk of sending a message that this packaging is a one-shot deal and a rehash assortment for 2004 only. Maybe that’s actually their intention. If so, that’s a real shame.

It also makes me think the VOTC thing is a bad idea more than ever. There’s enough characters in there of superior design that if you mixed them in with the OTC line, deleted redundant figs like the Falcon Training Ben, Commtech Han, Leia, and such, OTC would be a smash hit lineup, even with recards. With them separate, both may suffer.

That’s all really a big bummer. I honestly like these cards so much! I want the line to succeed and seeing this list, I don’t know if it will.

I really agree with what Ty said here.  I'm not overly upset with the lineup of figures.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have more new...but the group they have chosen isn't too bad for the most part.  I was REALLY hoping for a new Bib as well, I don't care for the POTF2 version.  However, I don't have one in my collection, so I may end up picking it up.  I was one who thought about buying the entire line (including rehashes), just because I liked that packaging so much and thought about keeping some carded (or at least keeping the cardbacks to display behind the figures).  Now I'm not sure if I can justify spending so much for figures I already have (and I know my wife wouldn't be overly enthused about that).

It is an excellent point that Hasbro finally gets the packaging pretty much perfect for this line, and they are finding a way that could possibly ruin it.  Maybe we're wrong, and they'll sell great...and if they do, I'll be happy.  I do worry like others that the actual 7 new figures will be impossible to find, but I hope that isn't the case.  I agree with the VOTC sentiment as well, they should have included these in the OTC line...skipped the Commtech Han, POTF2 Leia, and others and just replaced them with the superior versions.  Overall, that would have been a great line.

I saw the folks over at TheJawa.com are speculating that the Bespin Luke could *possibly* be a "clean" version, which would be cool if that was true.  That would be another I would pick up.  Overall, my excitement has waned a little bit on the OTC.  I was really psyched for it before, even with some rehashes, but this might be a little too much.  I was excited before because it almost seemed like vintage days (especially seeing that picture checklist too), with a good variety of OT figures, the "main" ships, etc.  I'm just enjoying all the focus on the OT I guess, even though many of us have much of this already...its still just cool in a way.  It should have started at the beginning of the year, that would have been great :).