Author Topic: Are you a "bad" person?  (Read 8858 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Are you a "bad" person?
« on: February 16, 2004, 02:43 PM »
I don't usually get into deep thought, but with one class I'm taking I am somewhat forced into self-reflection and evaluation of who I am and how I behave with and to my fellow man.

I go to a private Catholic College Northeast of Pittsburgh, but relatively close to the city (like 15 minutes).  As it's a Catholic school, I'm forced to take a religious studies/philosophy course as part of my curriculum.  That, at first, seemed AOK by me, as I'm always open to broadening my mind to new things.  No biggie, right?

Well, last semester I took "Introduction to World Religions" because I thought it'd be pretty basic, and give me some grassroots knowledge about religions that (at the time) I thought I already had at least a loose understanding of.

I found out that my instructor, a Catholic priest and a nice guy (don't let my following negative opinion sour you on the kinda guy he is), had different things in mind.  The class encompassed everything from North and South American Indian religious beliefs to religions of the ancient world...  And it ran right up through current religions as well.

A very difficult course ultimately, so I wound up withdrawing because my GPA has to be relatively high for some of my grants and financial aid to be approved.  Better a W than an F.

So this semester I replaced the previous Rel/Phil class with "Contemporary Moral Problems in Modern Society".

Quite a mouthful.

I've found it a bit more easy to comprehend, as there's much less terminology that has words that are completely foreign to me.  Literally.  World Religions of course has tons of terms that are simply not easily translated to the English language so it almost felt like learning some other language necessary for theology classes last semester.

Anyway, my Morality class I'm taking this semester is still difficult because I find my instructor (same priest as last semester) is simply a tough instructor in both his pace and the material he covers.

The class though, discusses various ethical theories and ideas...  Thing's like Kantian Deontologism, Ross's "Prima Facie" Deontologism, Egoism (What I've determined I practice), various forms of Utilitarianism, Libertarianism, etc...

Lots of stuff, simpler to understand though because the basic root of these terms aren't foreign to me so I can cope with this class more.

Anyway, the class makes you reflect on yourself somewhat, because we discuss various ethical situations, and how we personally would react to them.

I find that, when it comes to business (which both my majors are central to) I tend to focus on performing efficiently...  As I should.  To acheive the maximum benefit for the most people.  This sometimes includes difficult choices though, like say cutting benefits to employees when a company is failing (a fairly simplistic example, but you get the point).

On the issue of personal ethical choices though, I find I'm much more the egoist.  To those who dislike me, it's probably no surprise.  To myself, I was slightly surprised to the extent it was, but overall I expected it since I like to think I know myself fairly well, and I know that I like to make myself happy foremost.  

In personal decisions, few outside individuals actually ever influenced me.  

So, do you ever do self-reflection and realize you're a jagoff too?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a "bad" person?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 02:48 PM »
More and more frequently I'm being remided of how horrible of an excuss for a person I am. I've done alot of bad things to alot of people and now that I try to apologize to them, they wont accept it. I'm really trying to salvage anything that I can from them, but I don't know if I can. It brings me to tears that after all the things I've evn done to some people they can still say that they love me or that they care about me. :-[
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 02:57 PM »
It depends,if you're one of my uberbestfriends,I treat you like royalty and an equal.If you're anything below that,I have a certain sense of Hubris that shows,though,I'm still nice to you.

However,if you're my enemey...heheh.Well,lets just say I let my words fight for me.I find that pyscoligical warfare is quite effective.

So I suppose,I have certain wankoffy tendencies...
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 03:21 PM »
I find that I'm not very easy to get along with. To most people, anyways. I tend to be stubborn and self-centered, but not too any sort of extremes. Of course, I am the baby of the family, so I guess these traits are just inherent. :P

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 03:30 PM »
According to a recent exam, I'm headed for Purgatory. Not bad, considering that was the best result one could hope to receive. ;)

Check out Dante's Inferno Test here.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 03:40 PM »
8th layer of hell baby,yeah!

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 03:45 PM »
i am going to the 6th level of hell...i thought i was a pretty good person
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 03:47 PM »
8th layer of hell baby,yeah!

That's working it. I'd ask how you got there but the details would scare me and serve as a road map for your peers.

i am going to the 6th level of hell...i thought i was a pretty good person

Ditto.

Anyone else with me in Purgatory? Will it be lonely at the top?
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 03:56 PM »
Sixth Level of Hell - The City of Dis.  8)  You are not alone!  ;D

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 05:05 PM »
Damn,I didn't know I was that bad!Everyone goes to the sixth layer of hell but me!

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 06:00 PM »

Anyone else with me in Purgatory? Will it be lonely at the top?

Purgatory  :D
Beth

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Third Level.

I dont trust this things judgement.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 06:06 PM »
Woo! Purgatory for me! ;D

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 06:11 PM »
I'm not sure how I'm suppose to take this. I'm going to the 8th level of hell. Damn...........
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 06:34 PM »
Welcome to the club,help yourself to chips and soda.