Author Topic: OTC Sandcrawler  (Read 27899 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: 2004 NEW NEWS ON SANDCRAWLER
« Reply #15 on: May 6, 2004, 11:29 AM »
I think Diamond is available through the Previews Comic Shop Catalog & if so... ;D

SilverZ

« Reply #16 on: May 7, 2004, 05:37 AM »
So who wants to take a stab at the retail price if it comes through Diamond distribution?

49.99 retail?  :-X

Do you guys really think it would be worth that? For me, it's going to be a hard pill to swallow since I'm so down on the tooling of this thing. And I bought 2 Shuttles at full FAO PMITA* prices.

*Vague Office Space reference re: Federal Prison.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 7, 2004, 09:08 AM »
According to Mike over at GH.com, the intended price of the Sandcrawler has always been around $59.99, not the $30 that the other sites were reporting.  He said that the $30 price was closer to the wholesale price.

With that Info, I'd agree that the price will run anywhere from $50 - $90 depending on the mark-up at your local Comic Book store.

The e-tailers that order from Diamond (NewForce and EE) will likely be able to charge in the lower range, but I'm not expecting anything under $60 from most places if the rumor stands and Diamond carries the 'crawler.

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #18 on: May 7, 2004, 11:47 AM »
I don't like how underscale it is, so I won't be picking this up - I don't think. I do want the droid, but, it's not enough to make me shell out any amount of money for that midget-crawler.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 8, 2004, 12:59 AM »
Does anyone else hate this vehicle?  It looks like something out of "Honey, I shrunk the kids."  It is WAY too small for the 3 3/4" scale.  It is probably the worst scaled vehicle, with the AT AT hot on it's heels.  The sandcrawler is MASSIVE in the movies, but this thing is like a micromachine by comparison.  I think it looks awful and the mold is 20 years old.

PASS

EDIT:  I see Brad's with me.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2004, 01:00 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: May 9, 2004, 03:50 AM »
I know I can't stand it, and am miffed that, to get the silver SC Droid, I'm screwed into buying this POS for that one figure.

The only plus is that it'll make a nice set-piece for a MIniature's Battles set-up...  maybe even re-enact the taking of the Sandcrawler while searching for the droids, but beyond that this is a horrible toy IMO.

It's, of course, unreasonable to expect a to-scale Crawler, but wouldn't a newly tooled item that "unfolded" to have a Sandcrawler Interior, and multiple droid parts to build "new" droids with (Similar to the Droid Factory playset from vintage), and fold up to a somewhat larger crawler...  That to me would've been worth sinking some $ into.  It'd give some incentive to buy it beyond a repainted (but arguably new) figure at least.  :(

Gimme a cloud car first.  It's better overall to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 9, 2004, 03:57 AM »
Gimme a cloud car first.  It's better overall to me.

Thats if we will ever see one. Interesting topic over at GH.

Cloud Car still in the clouds

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2004, 06:08 AM »
Well, GH reported a couple days ago that Diamond Comics Distributors indeed picked up the Sandcrawler as their exclusive.  So we can expect to be able to pick this up from various online shops and direct market.  Bummer that it had to come to this, since I'd prefer to just find it in a store, but if this is what had to be done to bring it to the market, then so be it.  Obviously I'd still prefer something more decently scaled, but what the hell are you gonna do...?

I just wonder how much they're gonna jack the prices up over the estimated $30 that Target was supposedly going to charge...  Hopefully not too much, 'cause I'd like to get at least a couple of them.   :-\  Better not be window boxed either!

$h!t.  GH is also reporting Diamond's SRLP is $60, but that could vary depending on the retail outlet...   :'(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 07:09 AM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 2, 2004, 12:33 PM »
Just saw this over at RS.

Sandcrawler Saved!

Diamond Saves Sandcrawler!

Sandcrawler Wwth Jawas & RA-7 Exclusive

Sandcrawler measures 11" tall & 18" long. Retail $61.95.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: June 2, 2004, 04:35 PM »
This will be the first Exclusive OT Vehicle with figure I'll be passing on, until I can trade for one or the price comes down $30...no way am I paying that much for 2 figures I already have and 1 that I have a pretty damn nice custom of

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: June 2, 2004, 04:46 PM »
Yeah, that $62 price is utterly ridiculous!  This thing is not even close to an Imperial Shuttle, AT-AT, or even Millenium Falcon.   ::)

I was willing to go up to the $40 - $50 range if I absolutely had to, but they definitely went overboard in abusing the collectors on this piece I think.

But keep in mind, that's just the price from that one particular e-tailer, and other e-tailer's prices may vary.  Hopefully we'll be seeing this drop down to at most $50.  It better not be in a damned window box either, though judging by the other OTC vehicles, it probably will be, especially since it's got 3 figures to show off in it...   :-\

Damn.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 2, 2004, 04:49 PM »
I'm not thrilled about the price, but there is a thing called "PERSPECTIVE".  Perspective tells me that while $60 is in the high end pricewise in the modern era of Star Wars toys, it's not that bad.  Why?  A vintage Sandcrawler, loose, will cost anywhere from $150 to nearly $300 depending on whether or not it's complete and what kind of condition it's in.  Bearing that in mind, $60 is a bargain to me.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: June 2, 2004, 05:07 PM »
Hmmm I dunno...

Perspective or not, $60's pretty outrageous for something being produced now with no tooling costs.  I'll wait for it to come down in price and, if nothing else, get it later than everyone else.

It's just not that good to me in the first place...  I was going to justify it by using it as a set piece for SW Minis battles games since it'd make a possible objective or something, but beyond that the RA-7 was my only desire from it.

I just can't compare it with the vintage toy...  It'd never replace it to me.  There you're getting something they're not making right now and which has real nostalgia.  But here with the modern crawler it's just a watered down, dirtied up version of the original...

That RA-7 is neat though, I like it.  :)

I'd like to see what Hasbro's MSRP was in ink on this beyond what the actual charge is.  I recall multiple people contradicting me (at the time) that the Shuttle was selling for its legitimate MSRP and that it was as low as Hasbro could get it...  Then we found out that wasn't so much the case.

Diamond's never been exactly cheap with their exclusives, and old SW exclusives sold for higher than their MSRP so I'm wagering it's spiked for the Crawler as well.

I think $50's even too much for this though...  It's not that big a vehicle even.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #28 on: June 2, 2004, 06:58 PM »
$60 is pretty steep.

If I buy it or not depends on when it's released. If I have the disposable fundage at the time, I might go for it. But if it shows after October, I might have to wait a few months.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 2, 2004, 07:43 PM »
This is absolutely hilarious.  $60 (minimum) for a vehicle that is horrendously out of scale, comes with two figures (Jawas) that sell for about five dollars tops on the secondary market (and soon to be primary market, since they're part of the OTC recard disaster-in-the-making) and another figure that, given Hasbro's track record with packins in the past, will probably be really poorly painted?  I think I'll pass.

Let's not forget too that $60 is Diamond's price.  When it gets to comic and hobby shops, it will probably increase by a few dollars as well so they can make a profit on the item beyond what Diamond charges them to order it.

I'm thinking that this would have been 40 dollars at most if it went to Target.  I could be wrong, but given the size and the use of an old mold, I just can't see how they can justify 60 bucks for that...thing.