Author Topic: OTC Sandcrawler  (Read 27900 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2004 NEW NEWS ON SANDCRAWLER
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2004, 12:19 AM »
Well I just plunked down $19 for a EU Blue Snaggletooth, call me stupider than you and buy it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2004, 12:37 AM »
I can't...  Even if you are.  :)

hehe  j/k of course.

I dunno...  I've debated buying the Cantina set too actually...  Haven't seen it to be thrust into the decision though...  With the crawler I'm thinking it may be there a while for me to think about.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2004, 02:31 AM »
So will our local comic and gaming stores be carrying these, since their a Diamonds exclusive?  I may risk it and see if I can swing one from them for a reasonable price, with no shipping charges.

Or are these just going to be available through e-tailers?  Either way, I want one, despite the inflated price.  One of the few vehicles I never got as a kid, so it's time to get my due finally!  Hoping the droid comes out nice looking.  Looks good in the pictures so far.  Can't wait!  But my wallet sure can.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2004, 09:06 AM »
My Sandcrawler should be here by Thursday night, looking forward to this vehicle.  :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2004, 09:35 AM »
Picked these up last night.   ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2004, 11:16 AM »
Oooh, pretty.   ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Oooh, pretty.   ;D

Indeed!  ;D   :-*

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Do they all have that "Previews Exclusive" sticker on them, even here in the U.S.?  Yuck.  I hope not!

Has anyone opened one up yet and checked it out?  Worth $50 or $60?  I'm thinking more like $40 myself, but since I never had one of these as a kid, I'm looking forward to it, regardless of price.  Much like the Shuttle a couple years ago.

SilverZ

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2004, 01:25 AM »
Has anyone opened one up yet and checked it out?  Worth $50 or $60?  I'm thinking more like $40 myself, but since I never had one of these as a kid, I'm looking forward to it, regardless of price.  Much like the Shuttle a couple years ago.

I cracked mine open just a few moments ago. I've been entirely negative on this thing from the get-go and I'm still not impressed.

On the positive side, the packaging rocks, and once you rip it out of the box the paint job is great. Really detailed and dirty. If you set the vehicle out by itself with nothing else for scale comparison, it looks perfect.

BUT. But, but, but. Pick it up, and you instantly notice how light it is, and applying a fractional amount of pressure to any of the panels reveals how flimsy it is. Flick it, and it sounds hollow, like if you tapped the side of a $1 plastic beach bucket. The treads are static. The droid tube is held in by a tension tab, that, when pressed, makes the tube drop out the bottom of the crawler... onto the floor.

It's pretty to look at but is a miserable toy. Flimsy build quality and no play features. And, as I've always said, it's scale is so far out of whack with the regular 3-3/4" line and figures it's a real misfit.

The figures are... bleh. The Jawas, well the new OTC paintjob smokes these guys, but whatever, they're cool. The RA-7 looks like its made out of that same iffy gold plastic that the Deluxe 3PO used. I dig that it's a smart repaint but he's not really top quality either.

So, worth 50 or 60 bucks? Not a chance. 29.99? Maybe.

I still think this thing sucks. But considering we'd never see a retooled and improved one, its going to have to do, whether I like it or not.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 01:29 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: November 2, 2004, 01:06 PM »
I pre-ordered mine through StarWarsShop.com using the $50 Gift Certificate from the March fiasco.

The total with shipping came to $17.94 ;)

I was pretty sure that my local comic shop couldn't beat that price, so I decided to pull the trigger on the SWS.com pre-order.  Now we wait until November to see if it ever gets released... and if I ever get it from them since their track record is so great.  ::)

I got my shipping notice today!   ;D

I hope this works out OK.  Given SWShop.com's spotty track record, I was a bit worried.  I got a great deal on the sandcrawler this way and I probably wouldn't have picked one up if not for the GC I had from the initial order fiasco...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 2, 2004, 01:16 PM »
Just hope they pack it good & it arrives in tip top shape.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 3, 2004, 11:59 AM »
I got my shipping notification from SWS.com last night as well, although the FedEx tracking number still isn't showing up in the system (I figure that might take a few days to happen).  Thankfully I had the $50.00 GC from the initial fiasco, so the Sandcrawler cost me a grand total of $17.94, which is about what it looks like it's worth.  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #72 on: November 3, 2004, 12:50 PM »
I started passing a while ago on crap Exclusives like this and the fact that my RA-7 Custom looks superior to the new pack-in made this one a no-brainer.  My experience on getting burned on the Shuttle soured me on Remade Vintage Exclusives...retooled vehicles though I may still pick up

SilverZ

« Reply #73 on: November 3, 2004, 10:32 PM »
Been a few days so I need to crap on the Sandcrawler again. I like this vehicle more than the Sandcrawler:

/end threadcrap/

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 7, 2004, 03:42 PM »
I gotta agree this was a waste of my money.  POS in my opinon. The plastic sucks, and has anyone been able to lower the side so that it actually touches the ground? Would of rather had a Cloud Car rehashed :(