Author Topic: The Passion  (Read 10452 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Passion
« Reply #45 on: March 4, 2004, 07:26 PM »
How it really happend? I don't seem to recall Satan being there.

Matt, the Passion is a movie full of controversy so what did you expect? Maybe because you are not a Jew you did not pick up on some of the things in the movie that were anti-semetic. You seem to be taking this as a personal assualt on yourself and your belifes, which is not true. Look at it form a non-Christan point of view or just from a Biblical one you and you shall see the faults and added ''goodies'' in this story.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: March 4, 2004, 07:33 PM »
Um...  We're playing nice in here, right fellas?!   :-*

Haven't seen this flick yet myself, but hopefully we'll catch it this weekend.  Sounds pretty intense...

Who's this "Jesus" fellow anyway?   ???

:P
« Last Edit: March 4, 2004, 07:47 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 4, 2004, 07:57 PM »
Jesus, is played by James Caviezel.  He does a great job!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 4, 2004, 08:56 PM »
First the Jews were made to look like a mob of idiots.

I didn't think it made the Jews, as a whole, look like a mob of idiots.  However, I do believe that it made the Jewish Chief Priests look like idiots (which they were).  They moved to have a murderer set free (Barabbas) over Jesus, who was accused of blasphemy.  Their motives were purely political.      
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 4, 2004, 09:11 PM »
I don't know where you get the "flowers and roses" part Kevin.  I don't really feel like hearing what you have to say right now actually.!!

And there is no need, to be rude about anything either. ::)

Im sorry if I sounded rude, but I meant what I said. People before portrayed the crusifiction of Christ as a sad, but really unpainfull event, or rather, thats how I was tought about it. The more I read about it, the more I disagreed. Jesus was a criminal, and a highly frowned on one by the Jewish people at that time, so you have to figure that he was treated bad.

Sure it was sad. Wasnt it sad before?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 4, 2004, 09:28 PM »
First the Jews were made to look like a mob of idiots.

However, I do believe that it made the Jewish Chief Priests look like idiots (which they were).  They moved to have a murderer set free (Barabbas) over Jesus, who was accused of blasphemy.  Their motives were purely political.      

I agree with you there, however, all the jewish people were just blindly following the temple elders (which, arguably could be logical) and throughout the cross scene they were sneering, jeering, and carrying on like a retarded 30s lynch mob. But, maybe I'm not being impartical, prehaps I'm just reading to much into this.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline obi 1 L kenobi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 4, 2004, 10:06 PM »
I don't think the Jews were all shown to be idiots, spineless or anything else.  Some were, some were following those with authority, and some resisted.

At least 2 of the Jewish priests objected to what was happening to Jesus and it was pointed out that the procedure of trying someone at night was highly irregular, and that many other members were not there.  

In Pilate's court it appeared that the crowd was not a random sampling of Jews but a group handpicked by the high priests who acted as yes-men (people).  Again this was early morning stuff and the movie hinted that perhaps followers of the high priest were pulled out of bed to support this move.

Once Jesus was out on the street carrying his cross he was a convicted criminal.  I'm not sure, but from my understanding this was not an unusual sight and many of the people who passed by and were cruel to him just saw a convicted criminal and not as Jesus. They were cruel because he was a criminal and the Romans were picking on him so they joined in.  Sure it's mean, but people can be jerks.

My point being that I didn't see the Jews all acting as idiots.  Some responded in a normal fashion to the authority and situation.  Some showed integrity and some did not. But they were individuals and acted as such.  

And of course Jesus, the Marys and the disciples were all Jews, but that point is always oddly left out.  People claim that the Jews killed Jesus, but neglect to mention that it was Jews who spread the gospel and helped found the church.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 5, 2004, 11:14 AM »
I don't think the Jews were all shown to be idiots, spineless or anything else.  Some were, some were following those with authority, and some resisted.

At least 2 of the Jewish priests objected to what was happening to Jesus and it was pointed out that the procedure of trying someone at night was highly irregular, and that many other members were not there.  

In Pilate's court it appeared that the crowd was not a random sampling of Jews but a group handpicked by the high priests who acted as yes-men (people).  Again this was early morning stuff and the movie hinted that perhaps followers of the high priest were pulled out of bed to support this move.

Once Jesus was out on the street carrying his cross he was a convicted criminal.  I'm not sure, but from my understanding this was not an unusual sight and many of the people who passed by and were cruel to him just saw a convicted criminal and not as Jesus. They were cruel because he was a criminal and the Romans were picking on him so they joined in.  Sure it's mean, but people can be jerks.

My point being that I didn't see the Jews all acting as idiots.  Some responded in a normal fashion to the authority and situation.  Some showed integrity and some did not. But they were individuals and acted as such.  

And of course Jesus, the Marys and the disciples were all Jews, but that point is always oddly left out.  People claim that the Jews killed Jesus, but neglect to mention that it was Jews who spread the gospel and helped found the church.

I couldn't agree with you anymore brother!

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 5, 2004, 04:49 PM »
and throughout the cross scene they were sneering, jeering, and carrying on like a retarded 30s lynch mob. But, maybe I'm not being impartical, prehaps I'm just reading to much into this.

You know, I think alot of us would have been there jeering, and hollaring for him to be crusified too, jew or not.

If Jesus came back today, I think we would try and crusify him again, if not physicaly, socialy.

Kevin

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #54 on: March 5, 2004, 05:06 PM »
What reasons would we have to crucify him today? The same bull**** excuse they used back in his time, that he's a supposed magician?

Is something blasphemy if it can be proven?

This day in age, if he were indeed to come back as proclaimed, he;d have alot more support, thanks in large part to people who feel as if they have been saved, or witnessed miracles themselves.

Let me know if I am off base here.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 5, 2004, 06:17 PM »
What reasons would we have to crucify him today? The same ******** excuse they used back in his time, that he's a supposed magician?

Is something blasphemy if it can be proven?

This day in age, if he were indeed to come back as proclaimed, he;d have alot more support, thanks in large part to people who feel as if they have been saved, or witnessed miracles themselves.

We would have no reason to crucify him in this day and age.  He has done so much for us, for everybody.  But I guess it is hard for some people to realize this!

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 5, 2004, 09:24 PM »

As a whole, we are very ignorant, and unexcepting of things. If some guy came out of nowhere, and started walking around saying peace be with you, and saying he was jesus, he would be thrown in an asylum. Just like people who "speak" to god are look uppon like they are insane.

Physicaly, or socialy, he would be crusified.

Kevin

Offline obi 1 L kenobi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 6, 2004, 10:36 AM »
The priests got Jesus on blasphemy charges (claiming to be the son of God), but took him to the Romans for rebellion (claiming to be king of the Jews).  And back then Jesus could have proven both charges true - ie that he the son of God and king of the Jews, but since he needed to die, on a cross, he kept his mouth shut and did the same thing.

And I believe we would crucify him if he showed up again (or if it was the first time today) because the real reason the priests wanted Jesus killed is because he was so good, being perfect and all, that he made them look bad, being not perfect and all.  That problem still exists today, and speaking as a religious leader/authority I fear that those in my occupation would lead the way because he upset the status quo.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 8, 2004, 12:26 AM »
The priests got Jesus on blasphemy charges (claiming to be the son of God), but took him to the Romans for rebellion (claiming to be king of the Jews).  And back then Jesus could have proven both charges true - ie that he the son of God and king of the Jews, but since he needed to die, on a cross, he kept his mouth shut and did the same thing.

And I believe we would crucify him if he showed up again (or if it was the first time today) because the real reason the priests wanted Jesus killed is because he was so good, being perfect and all, that he made them look bad, being not perfect and all.  That problem still exists today, and speaking as a religious leader/authority I fear that those in my occupation would lead the way because he upset the status quo.

All the priests got scared, that is probably why they reacted the way they did.  Which was frikin stupid!!!  Why crucify a man cause he says that!

« Last Edit: March 8, 2004, 12:27 AM by Mainland05 »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 8, 2004, 07:57 PM »

All the priests got scared, that is probably why they reacted the way they did.  Which was frikin stupid!!!  Why crucify a man cause he says that!

If some one goes around claiming he is your father (to which you already have one) would you not call him crazy? If he continued, wouldnt you yell at him to stop, after talking to him? If he showed up convincing your friends he was your dad, wouldnt you get a restraining order?

Same thing. Jesus was out claming he was the son of god, and could save everyone. It went against what the Elders say, so they had to do somthing to make an example? Immagine a hundred Jesus's running around going against what you say? Would make you seem foolish.

Kevin